Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Superbird Build Ideas Wanted

51 minutes ago, afx said:

Pretty, but as I said, I already have a 1/24 blue one. Sublime is such a cliche. I'm kinda leaning toward that dark burnt orange metallic color, or bronze, of whatever they called it. B)

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Pretty, but as I said, I already have a 1/24 blue one. Sublime is such a cliche. I'm kinda leaning toward that dark burnt orange metallic color, or bronze, of whatever they called it. B)

That's my paint colour choice for when I build my 'Bird!  I believe the original 1:1 was a 440 Magnum/auto, but I can decide to change it whenever I actually get around to building it.

4 minutes ago, mopargreg said:

There was a wing-less superbird that raced in the USAC for a short while. I just checked my Superbird photos on my computer & couldn't find it. Thought I had it saved. I can do some more digging if you are interested. 

Thanks! I'm not really interested in building a USAC car but I wouldn't mind seeing the wingless bird if you happen to run across the pics of it. But please don't go to any special trouble looking for them. B)

I have seen Chargers and Road Runners with wings, but never Superbirds and Daytonas without. Just my opinion, I think you need a big wing- any big wing. Even if it's homemade.

Maybe get a spare wing from the MPC '74 Road Runner? It's not technically correct, but it could stand in for a "prototype" wing on a "test car"... 

The stock wings do pop up on eBay when people part these out sometimes.

Or you might need an AMT '68 Road Runner or '70 Coronet body for the front clip. You could use a '68-'70 Charger, but those fenders will mismatch a bit at the doors. Maybe wait a little bit until the right parts car comes up for Frankenstein parts...

...or maybe build it as an in-progress driver, missing the wing and maybe the nose cone. Headlights just hanging in space :)

24 minutes ago, Mike Young said:

24 minutes ago, Mike Young said:

Thanks! I might have a similar wing somewhere in the parts box, and if not, it wouldn't take too long to scratchbuild one. 

Right now I'm thinking more and more of that 2G Camaro/Firebird spoiler. I'd just cut a slot in the trunk lid edge, and then down the rear fenders about 6 scale inches at a 45* angle, and slip thin sheet styrene in there about 6 scale inches tall, and round off the upper edges. THAT would be different, and possibly very cool!

Rear bumper, hmmmm, I think I have, for some reason, an extra chrome tree from an AMT '68 Road Runner or '69 GTX around here somewhere. That might work, and if not, maybe scratch up something simple but functional like a hunk of I-beam running across the back of the car. :lol:

Edited by Snake45

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks! I might have a similar wing somewhere in the parts box, and if not, it wouldn't take too long to scratchbuild one. 

Right now I'm thinking more and more of that 2G Camaro/Firebird spoiler. I'd just cut a slot in the trunk lid edge, and then down the rear fenders about 6 scale inches at a 45* angle, and slip thin sheet styrene in there about 6 scale inches tall, and round off the upper edges. THAT would be different, and possibly very cool!

Rear bumper, hmmmm, I think I have, for some reason, an extra chrome tree from an AMT '68 Road Runner or '69 GTX around here somewhere. That might work, and if not, maybe scratch up something simple but functional like a hunk of I-beam running across the back of the car. :lol:

Snake, I sure I have a spare rear bumper. And I may have parts of one But pretty sure I do NOT have a complete wing.

I was watching a program last night on the Motor Trend or Hot Rod channel depending on what they're calling them selves this week. This was an adventure with Finnigan and they were doing hot laps on a dirt clay track with the old Road KIll Monte Carlo on a NASCAR chassis and a Dodge Charger, a '68 I think, that was built as a race car but never got to the track. They had some how gotten the Charger  licensed and they were running against each other. The Charger didn't have the wing and the front end didn't have the nose cone but was sort of a home grown wire mesh tube bumper affair. The interior was gutted with two serviceable seats but everything else was race car all the way. Just an idea or maybe use parts of it. 

44 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Snake, I sure I have a spare rear bumper. And I may have parts of one But pretty sure I do NOT have a complete wing.

If you run across the bumper, I could use it, but don't do to any great trouble finding it. I can get by. 

I've pretty much decided to NOT use a Superbird wing, so don't worry about that at all. 

I appreciate the assist! B)