Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Coupla pics of what’s in the Midget kit, from the Atlantis site:

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

Very Sweet.

With Today's building and finishing techniques, I have no doubt some very sharp models will be built from this kit. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I wonder if Atlantis did end up with these molds? 

50410bc4b494f72b845027e4fee5047c (1).jpg

It's possible that Atlantis may have them. The number of molds that it purchased from the new owners of Revell back in 2018 was in the hundreds.

• Like 1

A bit more Atlantis news. From their weekend email:"The Boss Fink is not far behind. The KK Scorpion is about 3 weeks away along with restock of the crazy popular H1440 Jungle Jim Camaro. Look for some more news coming form that tooling.. All new body reissue not seen since the 1970s."

The chassis was used with two other bodies. A Maverick and a Mustang. The best of these is the Maverick although it suffers the same greenhouse issues as the Camaro. I do hope the box art more closely reflects the box contents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

A bit more Atlantis news. From their weekend email:"The Boss Fink is not far behind. The KK Scorpion is about 3 weeks away along with restock of the crazy popular H1440 Jungle Jim Camaro. Look for some more news coming form that tooling.. All new body reissue not seen since the 1970s."

The chassis was used with two other bodies. A Maverick and a Mustang. The best of these is the Maverick although it suffers the same greenhouse issues as the Camaro. I do hope the box art more closely reflects the box contents.

The Mustang is composed of the remains of their Grande Mustang kit, and it is pretty bad. Not as bad as the Maverick, or even the Camaro, but bad enough. Comparing it to the kits JoHan, AMT and MPC where cranking out at the time, they are pretty bad. 

On 5/14/2023 at 3:18 AM, CabDriver said:

More news from Atlantis - those guys are working hard over there!

IMG_8789.jpeg.ca94bbe32c497d8a2e29e070618d647a.jpeg

If they have the Tom The Mongoo$e McEwen 57 Chevy Funny Car tooling, does it mean they have all the modern era Funny Car tooling?
Because all Monogram and Revell Funny Car kits from 1985 forward shares the same basic tooling for the chassis with some changes when they were updated with new engine parts and bodies.
Did the Revell Top Fuel kits from 1987 forward also end up with Atlantis?
Because they also share tooling with some updates when they did new cars.
If so they would maybe do necessary updates to the tool to do current Top Fuel Dragsters wich Revell never did, not much needed to do that for the Top Fuel Dragsters as they have basically looked the same since the early 2000's, the Funny Cars on the other hand needs new bodies and some engine parts to be more up to date so they are a bit harder to do.
They don't have to do a specific car, it can be generic, someone may do decals.

5 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

This is off Atlantis Face book page and this is a hint to what is coming down the road !   Could we see the Revell Eastern Raid Pinto Funny Car ? 

347844896_1186058812087323_3251218816848545380_n.jpg

Sadly the Revell Pinto Funny Cars are pretty bad. Bodies are wonky and the chassis looks like a recycled jungle gym.

But for nostalgias sake, they should be fine! I would buy one. 

19 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Sadly the Revell Pinto Funny Cars are pretty bad. Bodies are wonky and the chassis looks like a recycled jungle gym.

But for nostalgias sake, they should be fine! I would buy one. 

If somebody wanted to build a nicer Pinto FC, the Johan kits can still be found at fairly reasonable prices, if one is patient.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I think the last issue of the 1959 retractable was molded in Poland(said it on the box?), by Revell and boxed in the states. That leaves the status of where the mold is to Revell of Germany, Carrera-Revell USA, or Atlantis? Paging Mark or Tim Boyd for an answer!

If the last issue of the retractable was indeed molded in Poland (I don't have that issue so I can't verify) then Revell would still have that tool.  From what little is known about the Revell/Atlantis deal, the latter company bought tooling stored in the USA that the new Revell organization had no intention of doing anything with in the future.

When thinking about what Revell/Monogram/Aurora/Renwal items could be reissued by Atlantis in the future, the first question should be: "where was the last issue of that kit produced?"  If the answer is China, that's a definite "no".  USA = "maybe".  Until Atlantis announces a particular kit, there's no guarantee.

Edited by Mark
Spell check
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...