Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally doing my Revell 29 Ford Roadster

randyc

So I had an idea to combine the channeled frame witih a Revell 31 Ford Sedan body I had chopped and was working on years and years ago.   It wasn't working out - I have a thread elsewhere on it.  So for the time being, I am going to use the 32 frame and make me a backyard project car.   No shiny finishes Maybe even use the rust decals.  Idk yet - still seeing where it goes.  Part of my modeling these days is using paints I have on hand.  This is some Krylon in a [to me] really ugly green.   What's better with ugly green than burgundy interior?   It will all have to be weathered of course.  Engine may have been in a show car at one time, but is starting to lose its luster.  IT will have the injected intake - saving the carbs for something else. 

I try to work on feasible back stories.    Just wait till you see my barn find Morgan (due to failed stripping)... LOL

Not sure what wheels or if I'll use the kit steelies.   Then I have to figure out a color, but won't be red.   Black?  Bronze like engine?  What would a backyard guy do with the other colors being used?  I'm not sure why anyone would paint a car this color to start with, but that was before my owner.   He just has this car and is building on it as he has funds.   Kinda ratty without going all the way to that point.  

Here's what I have mocked up.   Still working on painting all the parts as I decide.  Been too hot to work more than a little at a time - building has no air so I get a little time in the evenings and weekend mornings.  If I can get everything painted, I can assemble in house.

Suggestions welcome.  

IMG_20200721_193604479.jpg

Normally I'm the kind of guy to go darker with the wheels, but the idea of a sand color on the wheels sticks in my head. It compliments the green and doesn't clash with anything else, but if it was me, I'd paint the engine to match. I'll be watching.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Staying with the green body color consider a coat of flat clear so that it looks like a primer coat. 

Oh yeah, for sure.   Just want to figure out what all else will be done first.  Seal it all in.  

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Normally I'm the kind of guy to go darker with the wheels, but the idea of a sand color on the wheels sticks in my head. It compliments the green and doesn't clash with anything else, but if it was me, I'd paint the engine to match. I'll be watching.

Ok, that's a good idea for wheels.   Might stick with that.  

Not sure if I want anything to match really.   Like dude got the car and has been adding things as he acquired them.   With the idea that it's a driver now and maybe someday it will all get painted up.  That would be any of the shiny cars others have built... ??

26 minutes ago, randyc said:

Not sure if I want anything to match really.   Like dude got the car and has been adding things as he acquired them.   With the idea that it's a driver now and maybe someday it will all get painted up.  That would be any of the shiny cars others have built... ??

Gotcha. Then I would dirty up the engine block really well. So that the color doesn't pop much and grab your eye.

Randy, all I can say is that it looks like the Gringe-mobile!  And I like it very much!  When I worked at a paint company when I was young, this one guy had a car (AMC Matador, maybe?) and he would regularly paint sections of the car with house paint that inventory had priced to almost nothing just to be rid of it.  It looked like Walt Disney threw up on it!  Nothing but all kinds of colors.   

Great idea for this one. I really like the back story and enjoy it when one is included. Gives me some insight as to what the builder is thinking as they approach a build, and I feel sometimes I can appreciate a build more with that knowledge.

I got in a few hours this morning before building got too hot to work in.  The dang rust decals are just too light.  Might touch them up a little more.  Still got some weathering and wearing to do on parts.  But I'm happy with it so far. 

IMG_20200725_112401193.jpg

IMG_20200725_112413547.jpg

IMG_20200725_112405612.jpg

IMG_20200725_112426376.jpg

Edited by randyc

More work.   The tie rod was a short shot or something.  The ends at missing and it's completely chromed so it came like that.  I glued it to the radius rods so it kinda looks like it's there. 

It's just as much work to make a weathered car.  It's been fun though.  Haven't had to worry about dust or fingerprints.  

IMG_20200726_123630583.jpg

IMG_20200726_123609993.jpg

IMG_20200726_123547623.jpg

IMG_20200726_123541891.jpg

8 hours ago, 1/24DragAndStreetCars said:

Awesome build! Where did you get the rust decals?

THere are some rust decals on teh sheet with this kit.  This is from the first release.   I went back and darkened up the bottoms of all of them with some rust paint too.   I'm not sure how well it "sells" the rust.  

Thanks for the compliments everyone.