Model Cars Magazine Forum

Semi-gloss black

The amount of gloss in semi-gloss black paints can vary between manufacturers, which is actually a good thing since seats, batteries and suspension components may require slightly differing finishes to look accurate. 

For example, Testors semi-gloss blacks aren't  as glossy as Tamiya s/g jar paint (and I assume their spray cans).  Some people also use s/g black spray paints from home improvement centers with good results.  

Long story short, all of these paints are very affordable and it wouldn't hurt to have a selection on hand instead of relying on one shade for everything.

57 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

I still have a bottle of Boyd gloss black that I haven't used yet... I'm pretty sure it's enamel paint... Is that any good???....

If it hasn't been opened, or was opened and resealed well, it should be fine. 

And it's probably the same thing as Testor/Model Master "Classic Black." B)

On 8/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Monty said:

The amount of gloss in semi-gloss black paints can vary between manufacturers, which is actually a good thing since seats, batteries and suspension components may require slightly differing finishes to look accurate. 

For example, Testors semi-gloss blacks aren't  as glossy as Tamiya s/g jar paint (and I assume their spray cans).  Some people also use s/g black spray paints from home improvement centers with good results.  

Long story short, all of these paints are very affordable and it wouldn't hurt to have a selection on hand instead of relying on one shade for everything.

Great answer!  Just like there are 50 shades of gray!  I probably have more than a dozen different black spray cans.. all kinds of manufacturers,  if I see a flat black I’ve never seen, I’ll grab one just to test spray.

I use a lot of Testors and Tamiya tones... don’t discount their military lines either. One of my favorite chassis base colors is Testors Military Panzer Gray..  one of my favorite semi gloss blacks is Walmart Colorplace flat black.

On most vehicles, there isn't just one shade and texture common to entire interiors or types of panels. Another option to add interest and variance amongst your blacks is to add overcoats (flat, semi-gloss) to appropriate parts for extra realism. Combine those with a handful of different brands/types of black, and you can have a whole bunch of different finishes appropriate for interiors, chassis, vinyl tops- whatever you plan on painting.

I know you specified bottle paints, but adding a few spray cans and airbrushed blacks can vary the sheen and tint as well. Tamiya has a very nice semi-gloss black in a can, and has similar black/flat black/semi-gloss blacks in their line of acrylics. Flat black enamel can be burnished for a satin sheen after it is dry, and if done correctly can realistically simulate leathers and vinyls. A little finger oil in the burnishing process helps.

Thank you for all of the replies. I appreciate the knowledge. I am just getting back into this game and starting from scratch as far as supplies.

I pulled wrenches in GM garages for 12 years, pretty familiar with modern interiors. I will use some of your techniques to get all the different finishes on interior items.

As of now I am limited to bottles and rattle cans, an airbrush may be a winter purchase this year, we will see.

I like the Testors Model Master flat black as well - it has a slightly gray tint to it.   Nice variation.  At least in the bottle I have now.    Like others have said, can't have too many shades of black.  And last night, I bought another can of cheap $1 flat black spray can at Dollar General.   Big can too.   Works great for a base coat or fogging.  

12 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

Testor semi gloss black is noticeably more glossy than Tamiya's semi gloss black.

You and I obviously had vastly different experiences with these paints.  After the usual prep (shaking/stirring etc), my Testors enamel bottled paint s/g black had a much lower shine, while the Tamiya acrylic bottled paint was almost glossy enough to use as a top coat.  

As I said before, I consider that a good thing given the various shades of black you'll encounter on many cars.

There is another option too, that works for most of us that still have hair anyway. If you spray matt black and you need to add a little contrast, after the matt has dried rub your fingers in your hair before you wash it then use the natural oils to give areas such as seat centres or chassis detail a satin finish. It might surprise you how much of a difference it makes.

11 hours ago, Monty said:

You and I obviously had vastly different experiences with these paints.  After the usual prep (shaking/stirring etc), my Testors enamel bottled paint s/g black had a much lower shine, while the Tamiya acrylic bottled paint was almost glossy enough to use as a top coat.  

As I said before, I consider that a good thing given the various shades of black you'll encounter on many cars.

My fault for not being 100% clear. I was referring to Tamiya TS-29 spray versus Testor #28156 lacquer semi gloss spray.

For a lot of 'black' plastic or rubber items I like using Revell No. 9 enamel in a tin, it brushes on very smoothly and isn't too shiny at all. Admittedly I'm not much a one for adding Armor-All etc to the plastic and rubber on my 1:1s, but when I look out at them the black pieces of trim aren't pure black at all.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

On 8/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, Tom99 said:

Try Testors #1139, in the 1/4 ounce bottle.

This! Bought a bottle and was very pleasantly surprised. Easily it’s my favorite semi-gloss black. Looks great. Not too shiny, not too flat. Easy to get because Hobby Lobby and Michael’s have it in their racks. 

On 8/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, Tom99 said:

Try Testors #1139, in the 1/4 ounce bottle.

I tried it, thought it was probably the same thing as Black Chrome Trim. I don't think it is. Looks a little shinier, and doesn't "flow" quite as well. But looks like I'm stuck with it from now on. :(