Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

11 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

Seeing these test shot pics makes me very optimistic about this kit (I'd like to see a straight on side shot, though). The engine compartment has details I've never seen in a production kit before. Is that really an emissions evap canister hiding under the passenger side strut brace?? Looks like there might even be room to shoehorn a 429 in there! At first I thought the rear splash pan and exhausts were wrong, but I did some searching and the Boss 351 had the straight splash pan and turn-down exhaust just like the model (and my 73 Grande) had. Surprised they didn't have the notched pan with the chrome tips, but those must've come later. It would be nice if they would include another wheel option, like the "Ford Motor Company" dog dishes, but it's not a big deal since Fireball Modelworks makes a really nice set.

You are correct about the details I cannot recall ever seeing such as a rev limiter and voltage regulator, etc. in a kit before.  The only downside is now what am I going to do with all my AMT and MPC Mustang kits. 😉

Edited by vamach1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah I already posted these in a separate thread with the rest of the photos from Revell's booth in Omaha. Glad to see they're already walking around FB with my name detached in a matter of hours. 🙄 I'll take a picture of the hood in the morning.

Yes, Thank you for posting all those pics. It's a definite asset to the board that you do these. 

It's going to be an incredible kit.

• Like 2

I feel compelled to rescind and retract my earlier assessment of this kit's headlamps

My word, this thing looks so promising! The boiler room alone looks outstanding -- so much detail! I can practically hear that Autolite 715 cfm atomiser sucking-down air!

Here's a vintage 1971 road test of the BOSS 351 -- if only they knew.

1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 (caranddriver.com)

• Like 1

It looks good to me going by those photos..much improved over the old AMT and MPC tools, esp. under the hood and the chassis.  Since Revell likes doing at least 2 versions of new tools, I assume it will lead to a 429CJ Mach 1 down the road.   I'd love to see a convertible, but that will probably come from the resin casting or 3D printing community.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

The bar isn't super-high. But when the dust settles - if the rest of this kit lives up to what we can see in James's shots - this may very well prove to be the best bi-scale plastic Mustang kit we've had so far.

I do agree with you that it's a really impressive looking piece so far. Genuinely curious as to what would hold the current lead spot in your estimation? If I were to guess at the three front runners at least to my mind they would probably be the current Tamiya GT4, the AMT/Ertl '67 GT, and the Revell '99 Cobra with possibly the Monogram '64-'65 kit as an outlier.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 11:09 AM, B351 said:

Hi, I am a little late to this thread but that was my Boss 351 they scanned for the model. It was ordered with Sports Wheel Covers for $23 according to the Marti report. The car is not perfect but overall pretty good. I have not heard when the model is coming out.

As you may have noticed the First test shots are out and they look great.  A huge thanks to you for making your car available for the scanning.  I hope this is just the beginning of there being other variations like a 429 Mach1 and 351 Mach1.  Building a 72 HO Mach1 wold also be easy with decals and the front bumper from those other subpar kits.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

I do agree with you that it's a really impressive looking piece so far. Genuinely curious as to what would hold the current lead spot in your estimation? If I were to guess at the three front runners at least to my mind they would probably be the current Tamiya GT4, the AMT/Ertl '67 GT, and the Revell '99 Cobra with possibly the Monogram '64-'65 kit as an outlier.

It would be the Tamiya kit.  The '99 is strong and Revell's 197s are good too.  I love the AMT "new (now 28-year-old) tool" '67 beyond all reason (see avatar), but there are just too many eccentricities and minor gaffes in it to slide.

But if this one isn't a bear to build, I might end up giving it my personal crown -

and I can think of at least one august writer in the hobby who's going to love this -

because of its engine bay.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

As you may have noticed the First test shots are out and they look great.  A huge thanks to you for making your car available for the scanning.  I hope this is just the beginning of there being other variations like a 429 Mach1 and 351 Mach1.  Building a 72 HO Mach1 wold also be easy with decals and the front bumper from those other subpar kits.

Yeah, the engine bay looks amazing. I am glad I found this forum it has been really interesting reading the comments. I plan to build this, how could I not, and will likely come back to read tips on how to get the best result.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, B351 said:

I plan to build this

What color are you going to paint it? 😅 (j/k, I think we know)

An as aside, I think that the Pinto steering wheel in the blue car that Rex posted says a lot about where Ford was going with the Mustangs with base interior from 69-73. Dad had a 1970 65B hardtop for a while. Even though it had the "deluxe" knitted vinyl seats, woodgrain dash, electric seatback release, clock, maplight, etc., it shared the insta-warp multipiece door panels with the base model. Not sure why they didn't use the molded panels on the decor coupe.

Really glad to see this kit coming up and I am looking forward to additional variants in the future.

There have been over 800 views and several comments on the Revell Facebook page since yesterday.  It looks like many people are excited about this all new kit and many probably did not know about that it was in the works.  Some of the questions and comments about 71-73 Mustangs are humorous to say the least.

Edited by vamach1

Waiting impatiently for this kit, especially after seeing the test shots. Judging by the engine bay shots, the engine is as tight a fit as it was in the 1:1. Changing the spark plugs on the driver's side underneath that cowl brace was a major PITA with my '73 coupe.

7 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Okay Mustang-files, what is the difference between this Boss 351 and a Mach1 of the same year? I've always wondered as my neighbor had a Mach 1 when I was a boy.

The obvious one I know is the Mach1 had the painted color front bumper. Mechanically, Mach 1 came standard with the 302/3-speed while the Boss got the 351/4-speed standard.

3 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

The obvious one I know is the Mach1 had the painted color front bumper. Mechanically, Mach 1 came standard with the 302/3-speed while the Boss got the 351/4-speed standard.

Mach 1 also had the honeycomb panel between the tail lights and the notched rear pan for the chrome exhaust tips.

The Boss 351 came with a one year only version of the 351 Cleveland that made 330 HP instead of 285. It was considered an "R" code engine, only 1,806 were produced and this engine was detuned in 72 and gone forever after that. They had planned to go racing with it like the Boss 302 but Ford dropped out of racing while this car was being developed. The Boss 351 also came with some items that were an option for the Mach 1. It was just as quick as the 429 Mach 1 in some tests.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Waiting impatiently for this kit, especially after seeing the test shots. Judging by the engine bay shots, the engine is as tight a fit as it was in the 1:1. Changing the spark plugs on the driver's side underneath that cowl brace was a major PITA with my '73 coupe.

I always took off the cowl braces when I changed plugs on my 73.

I talked to the Revell rep at the IPMS Nats about the release date of the '71 Boss and he said no set date yet but usually 6 months or so following the first test shot if there are no issues. It sure looks nice!

Ken

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date