Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

47 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

There was more than one Bond 71 Mustang. Another had a small block 302 or 351

http://www.ponysite.de/pony/bond.htm

This site has good documentation but like the original 007 and Eleanor Mustangs when it comes to cars used in movies there are always gray areas due to modifications made and the producers not thinking about the legacy these cars would have decades later.

The second 68 Mustang used in Bullitt was found only about about six years ago.  Maybe Jim Morrison’s 67 GT500 will surface someday too.

IMG_9131.jpeg

Dear All,

As the usual Revell's approach, the kit will have a partial decal for the bonnet, which will never look decent especially for the silver variant. Because of this (well, partially) I thought about building a different variant to avoid this problem altogether. The first variant that came in mind was the Sport Roof. The engine might not be prototypical, but that is far better than an odd looking model. My main problem is the lack of reference material. All I could find is an online brochure with a couple of pictures. Therefore, my question to the  experts here what does it take to convert an 1971 Mustang Boss to Sport Roof? I can print decals and small 3D parts if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, khier said:

Dear All,

As the usual Revell's approach, the kit will have a partial decal for the bonnet, which will never look decent especially for the silver variant. Because of this (well, partially) I thought about building a different variant to avoid this problem altogether. The first variant that came in mind was the Sport Roof. The engine might not be prototypical, but that is far better than an odd looking model. My main problem is the lack of reference material. All I could find is an online brochure with a couple of pictures. Therefore, my question to the  experts here what does it take to convert an 1971 Mustang Boss to Sport Roof? I can print decals and small 3D parts if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

To do a base Mustang you would need a flat hood, different grille, different taillight panel,  different wheelcovers, a 6 cyl or 302, maybe some different interior trim... by the way, 'Sports Roof' was just the name for the fastback bodystyle (Ford started using that term in '69 for the fastback), not a specific model or trim level.  The Boss 351 and Mach 1 are fastbacks, so they are the 'Sports Roof' bodystyle also. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, khier said:

I was actually referring to this

Screenshot from 2023-07-19 15-53-06.jpg

Yes, the base Mustang fastback.   Ford called the fastback bodystyle 'Sportsroof' '69-73. 

Here is a pic of one, you can see the different grille, hood, wheel covers, etc..  I have a resin base hood and grille made for the MPC tooling I got off eBay years ago, don't know if anyone is offering one currently.   With the new Revell kit out, it wouldn't surprise me if the aftermarket steps up with a variety of parts for it.

y1-1.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Thanks 1

I guess I get it now. So the entry model was simply called Mustang. Hardtop, Convertible or sport roof referred to body style. Grande referred to another trim level.

Anyway, I saw in a different thread test shots of flat hood and a different grill. It seems Revell is going to release the Mustang Sport roof in the future. Therefore, a modification is like resisting assimilation by the Borg: Futile.

8 minutes ago, khier said:

I guess I get it now. So the entry model was simply called Mustang. Hardtop, Convertible or sport roof referred to body style. Grande referred to another trim level.

Anyway, I saw in a different thread test shots of flat hood and a different grill. It seems Revell is going to release the Mustang Sport roof in the future. Therefore, a modification is like resisting assimilation by the Borg: Futile.

Yes, 3 body styles.  The Mach 1 and Boss 351 were performance models using the  fastback/Sportsroof body, and the Grande was a deluxe trim on the coupe.

I think based on the pics that have been posted that Revell is going to do an Eleanor movie car kit, and they are doing a flat hood for it..  The weird thing about the Eleanor, though, is it had a '73 Mach 1 grille with the '71-72 style front bumper.   

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, 3 body styles.  The Mach 1 and Boss 351 were performance models using the  fastback/Sportsroof body, and the Grande was a deluxe trim on the coupe.

I think they are going to doing a flat hood for the Eleanor movie car.  The weird thing about the Eleanor, though, is it had a '73 Mach 1 grille with the '71-72 style front bumper.   

This is probably what I saw in the other thread. I thought it is going to be a "legal" 1973 Mustang.

Ok, I ordered two BOSS kits. I will wait for the Elianor to convert one BOSS to a basic Mustang, and use the BOSS hood with the Elianor to make a customized something. 

By the way, I saw alternative painting of the hood to avoid the decal/paint combination. I will probably go this way.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

And they are also doing a Mach 1, as the James Bond movie car so that will be a source for the widely-used pie pan wheel covers.

Yes there will be a 007 Mach1 with the 429 CJ and hub caps and trim rings.  This picture is from the Revell website.  Probably available late this year or early next year.

IMG_9136.png

1 hour ago, khier said:

This is probably what I saw in the other thread. I thought it is going to be a "legal" 1973 Mustang.

Ok, I ordered two BOSS kits. I will wait for the Elianor to convert one BOSS to a basic Mustang, and use the BOSS hood with the Elianor to make a customized something. 

By the way, I saw alternative painting of the hood to avoid the decal/paint combination. I will probably go this way.

I’m sure there will be little difficulty lbuild a “correct” 73 Mach1.  Use the Boss/007 hood and it appears Revell is doing the Mach1 style grille for the Eleanor version.  I wonder if Revell will include 73 Mach1 decals to make it easier to replicate a stock 73 Mach1.  Eleanor was a mishmash of a 72 sportsroof (perhaps a Mach1) with the grille from a 73 Mach1 but it had the standard hood. There are documented 71-72 Mach1s that came with an 302-2v but I have never seen one without the NACA hood.  Also of note it Eleanor had the honeycomb rear panel (Mach1 only) so it’s no wonder Mustang and model car enthusiasts have been confused for decades.  Halacki had access to a lot i of cars to mix and match parts and I’m guessing cared more about the cars being safe to handle the crashes and jumps (hence a roll bar and other braces added).  To make matter worse there are a lot of 1/18 diecasts that have many of the “details” wrong.  Please note the picture is of 1/43 scale diecasts.

IMG_9137.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Did the Mach1 ever come as a convertible? 

I don't think a Boss did but I may be wrong about that.

Despite what you see on Ebay 100% no.  The Mach1 had its own body code.  However, Ford began to offer the NACA hood, ram-air, deluxe interior, Boss/Mach1 stripes and hood blackout (without the Mach1/Boss markings) and Magnum 500 wheels, etc. on coupe and convertibles as an upgraded option package.  Adding to confusion are owners that have added their own Mach1 decals and I’ve seen plenty of rear spoilers on coupe and convertibles which Ford never put on from the factory.  Another popular add on (aftermarket) are the rear window sports slats (aka louvers) for the sportsroof rear window.  Ford never sold or installed them to fit a 71-73 but it’s interesting that MPC assumed they would be an option and chose to include them in the 1/25th model kit when the 1:1 aftermarket companies had probably not even begun making them.  Of course MPC put a Boss 429 in their 71-73 Mustang kits and your could not get one of those either from Dearborn.  The lime green convertible below has a 429CJ engine so it received the NACA hood with ram air and hood blackout but has the standard grille and chrome bumper.

IMG_9139.jpeg

IMG_9140.jpeg

IMG_9141.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Despite what you see on Ebay 100% no.  The Mach1 had its own body code.  However, Ford began to offer the NACA hood, ram-air, deluxe interior, Boss/Mach1 stripes and hood blackout (without the Mach1/Boss markings) and Magnum 500 wheels, etc. on coupe and convertibles as an upgraded option package.  Adding to confusion are owners that have added their own Mach1 decals and I’ve seen plenty of rear spoilers on coupe and convertibles which Ford never put on from the factory.  Another popular add on (aftermarket) are the rear window sports slats (aka louvers) for the sportsroof rear window.  Ford never sold or installed them to fit a 71-73 but it’s interesting that MPC assumed they would be an option and chose to include them in the 1/25th model kit when the 1:1 aftermarket companies had probably not even begun making them.  Of course MPC put a Boss 429 in their 71-73 Mustang kits and your could not get one of those either from Dearborn.  The lime green convertible below has a 429CJ engine so it received the NACA hood with ram air and hood blackout but has the standard grille and chrome bumper.

IMG_9139.jpeg

IMG_9140.jpeg

IMG_9141.jpeg

Thanks Rex, that's what I had thought ,but , as you say, there seems to be a lot of them that never came from the factory that way.

• Like 2

14 Shelby Europa Mustangs - The European Connection (motortrend.com)

Bob Ford was actually in Dearborn - not Detroit.  It was eventually called Fairlane Ford and is now called Mission Ford.  I'm not aware of any mission in the area, but there are many churches and mosques.  The article mentions a Shelby Europa GT250, a converted '71 Comet.  That's another potential model car.

• Like 2

I received the kit today and it is fantastic.  I would give it a 98 out of 100 and the instruction sheet and decal sheet are outstanding.  I was thinking of doing a comparison to the AMT and MPC 71/73 kits but I can sum it up easily.  The Revell kit is superior in every aspect and is based upon how the car was made by Ford - not guesses and carried over parts from a 69/70 kit like the AMT/MPC ones.

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I received the kit today and it is fantastic.  I would give it a 98 out of 100 and the instruction sheet and decal sheet is outstanding.  I was thinking of doing a comparison to the AMT and MPC 71/73 kits but I can sum it up easily.  The Revell kit is superior in every aspect and is based upon how the car was made by Ford - not guesses and carried over parts from a 69/70 kit like the AMT/MPC ones.

Still waiting on the call of my local hobby shop.