Model Cars Magazine Forum

The EXCLUSIVELY '32 Pick Up ONLY thread. Show us what you got!!!

Hi all,

This is the second thread like this I am starting. Show us all your Deuce Pick Ups. I guess the '34 truck should be part of this thread too, as it is basically same thing. 

Let's see your stock, drag, street rod, fendered, open top and whatever other Deuce PU. I know Drag City Casters released not too long ago a resin body for a '32 RPU and the "Lindberg" '34 Truck is readily available in HL across the country for a cool 40% off, so there should be no shortage of these. Again, I'll call out to Tim Boyd to provide a decent dose of inspiration.

I'll kick it off with one of my wild creations from years ago. 

This Phantom Pick Up was a european forum challenge and the entire model was finished in 10 days. It was 9 years ago and unfortunately the WIP pictures are long lost.

The body is made from one '32 Tudor sedan, cut from the beltline up and the roof cut right behind the A-pillars. Then a second '32 Tudor gave it's entire rear section, which was inserted in the first body. This created the back of cab to look like the back end of a sedan and to be identical to the "tailgate". The bed is stained balsa wood with BMF. The fuel tank in it is aluminum tear drop profile stock used in RC planes. 

The frame is very heavily modified item from the Sedan kit. It looks stock, which was exactly the goal. But in fact it is stretched, Z'd, the rails are considerably taller (which hides how much the body is channeled) and my favorite part - the bottom reveal does not pick up where the fenders usually are, like on the stock one, but continues all the way to the front to mimic the same line on the bottom of the body and side hoods.

Speaking of hoods, They are lengthened cut for ventilation and have moldings from a '50 Ford pick up. When they are on, the moldings continue over the cowl, but when they are off, there is no trace of them.

The suspension is from the kit, but just modified to sit lower.

The engine is also from the kit and I am not sure, but I believe the intake was a modified SBC item from Monogram's '29 RPU.

Wheels are from the '50 Ford Pick up with the kit's tires on the front. The rears were modified to fit in Pegasus aluminum sleeves and were wrapped with the rear tires from AMT Prowler. 

The interior is modified to fit Revell '32 3-window items with fare share of MCG details, where the grille came from too.

Paint is nail polish, For some reason it's name has stuck in my mind - New York Pizzaz. 

Hope you like it, although these are old pictures. I should definitely snap some new ones to show more of the details. 

dsc0104qs.jpg

dsc0107io.jpg

dsc0115zd.jpg

dsc0118h.jpg

p1010562a.jpg

p1010567kd.jpg

p1010568j.jpg

p1010569.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Marischal said:

A very nice collection so far. I'd take Rodney's pale blue example as my fave...just!

steve

It was a close call for me too, between the pale blue and the grey, but the bare metal one’s sinister look tilted the scales just slightly. 

I was inspired by the Alexander Brothers Grasshopper pickup when I built "cricket". I started with Lindberg cab, parts box fenders, 29 bed, parts of the Ala-Kart chassis were modified then Z'd for the rear, motor, from the '50 Ford truck, and various other parts box bits and pieces. Color is Scalefinishes.com enamel. 

Here is a link to the in process pics - https://public.fotki.com/machman/models/builds-2016/cricket-32-ford-pickup1/#media 

SAM 0771

SAM 0774

SAM 0773

SAM 0779

SAM 0776

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, mrm said:

Thank you Rodney. They are all bad ass. Every single one of them. The "raw metal" one is my favorite. How did you achieve the finish? Looks quite realistic.

The raw metal finish was accomplished by spraying Testors Metalizer Titanium (or was it Magnesium?) and then rubbing with a soft cloth to bring out a bit of sheen... -RRR

9 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

This one is stellar Rodney!

Thanks, This one was painted by airbrush master, the late Doug Shey, a dear friend who took his life in 2008. He had severe back pain and I believe that the opioids he took for the pain caused depression that he couldn't overcome. He hanged himself from a ceiling fan, his daughter found him. He just had a way with an airbrush. He always marveled at the body mods I would do....-RRR