Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome vinyl details from scratch

Venom

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Nice tutorial, I'll have to try this some time. Is this the same vinyl they use to wrap cars?

I’m not sure, but I know they use it on billboards, police cars, etc. but there are at least a few different variations of the chrome vinyl. Some of it is a bit more flexible, but that kind is usually too thick for 1/24 scale and it is not as much of a ‘mirror’ finish. The one I look for is like a perfect mirror and it is no thicker than a piece of notebook paper. It has zero twistable flex, but will wrap around some things. It is sticky on the backside. One of the sign companies said they order all their vinyl from fellers.com, so that may by a possible option too. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Venom said:

I’m not sure, but I know they use it on billboards, police cars, etc. but there are at least a few different variations of the chrome vinyl. Some of it is a bit more flexible, but that kind is usually too thick for 1/24 scale and it is not as much of a ‘mirror’ finish. The one I look for is like a perfect mirror and it is no thicker than a piece of notebook paper. It has zero twistable flex, but will wrap around some things. It is sticky on the backside. One of the sign companies said they order all their vinyl from fellers.com, so that may by a possible option too. Thanks!

thanks for the info mate, I'll try the local wrap place and see wht they have. theres not many options where i am

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

That type of self-adhesive vinyl film comes in several thicknesses, and different surface finishes. What your sign/wrap shop will have for scraps might not be the same as what Josh found (but it will still be likely usable).

Correct. They might not have the exact same one that I used in the photos, but as long as it is no thicker than a piece of notebook paper and has an actual chrome-like finish, you should be able to get almost the same, if not the exact same results.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, misterNNL said:

Great tips. This is another excellent example of the vast knowledge available here and the willingness of members to share it with others.

On 5/10/2021 at 5:59 AM, paul alflen said:

misterNNL , amen to that!

Thanks guys! It’s nice to know that people are still finding and appreciating it.🤠👍

It feels good to share ideas that turn out to be helpful for someone.