Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Ford 3-Window Billet Street Rod 1/16

Jordan White

I just picked up one of the 1/16 Revell 34 Ford Street Rod kits (quite hard to find lately), and really want to build it in the billet rod fashion of the 80's/90's (the kit is a good start already).

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to build it mostly box stock, with the exception of different wheels, changing it to a manual, and changing the intake to a Camaro TPI intake (feels more indicative of that time period versus the intake offered in the kit). I'm sure there will be some other changes here and there as I go along.

Speaking of wheels, here are the ones I've designed to fit the kit tires. They are meant to resemble Boyds Sport 6 wheels, and are a staggered 14"/15" combo.

Wheel.PNG.e3e5a1e0a3bdc9bcbab74396ca1fcb8c.PNG

I've also chosen the main color, a very 90s teal courtesy of the Geo Tracker. I am going to complement it with some yellow and magenta as well.

77533808-640.jpg

Jordan,

Your plan for this is going to look great as a 90's street rod! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'd like to see more larger scale builds on here. SamIAm (just did the BobTail T) has a 1/16 57 Tbird that he plans to do as a straight axle drag car. Can't wait to see that too!

Later-

Thanks Tom, I'm excited to get started on building! I'm hoping to start soon, and I'll probably get the wheels off to Shapeways this week. The paint has also been ordered and I'm sure will be here in a couple weeks. I do agree on seeing more larger scale kits in here, I know they aren't as popular due to limited aftermarket parts and the room they take up on the shelf.

Got started on putting the engine and frame together. I cut off the automatic transmission and spliced on a manual transmission from my Trans Am GTA kit (converting that one to an automatic). I also added the TPI intake manifold, the kit oil pan, and timing chain cover (I had to fill in the bottom to close the gap).

740275960_IMG_16201.thumb.JPG.a9b3f8d8361dcca25e7aaf419b6330f8.JPG554418125_IMG_16211.thumb.JPG.e7b65c18d013e5a3df10aacac4e9e40f.JPG312238094_IMG_16221.thumb.JPG.b38cfec692127e480264133b9ef946fc.JPG

I got the frame pieces assembled together and I filled in a couple gaps. I also puttied in some of the low spots, but there are a couple I still need to get. I also am going to add new motor mounts (transmission is slightly longer), and am going to add frame extensions for under the running boards.

172323683_IMG_16231.thumb.JPG.2f8dc9e330fb32ba1ae2e44226512284.JPG

My current plan for color is keep the yellow frame, and have the drivetrain/suspension be Geo Magenta Metallic. Engine will also be magenta, with yellow intake, distributor, plug wires, and pulleys. Should be a nice contrast against the teal body.

Looks like you have some good plans here, Jordan.  My hiboy version stalled a long time ago, but one day.....

If I could respectfully offer two suggestions for improving the look and feel of this kit.  Assuming you are building it with full fenders, could I suggest that you take the coarsest file you own and remove  as much plastic as you dare from the crown and front face of those fenders.  They have a very unnatural shape compared to the real car and can stand a fair bit of weight reduction.  Secondly, see if you can drop thus bug-eye like headlights a lot closer to the fenders, and probably a bit forward as well.  Google will be your friend here.  Revell did a great job on these kits but those two things really take the edge off them. 

Cheers

Alan