Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

On 10/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, Muncie said:

We may be expecting what we got from Revell.  But if the two parts packs from Gofer are any indication, it looks like somebody has done a little work on the manufacturing side.  The Gofer dragster chassis and engine are noticeably better quality. Not putting anybody down at Revell, it's been 60 years and things changed.  I'm waiting with a bit of excitement to see what Atlantis puts in the box.

I'd really like those "backwards" Halibrand wheels if the other side was correctly molded so they could be reversed like the 1:1 wheels could be used, for the Sprint car and Super Modified guys we'd be excited to see something new for us on the market. I wouldn't complain too much if they were to release a Buick engine, or especially a "Boss 429" as parts packs😁😁

On 10/17/2021 at 11:39 PM, 1972coronet said:

Funny how the term 'Mag Wheels' et al. became a colloquial term for any aftermarket wheel . The only true "Mag" wheel is composed of Magnesium ; others are aluminium and or aluminium centre with steel hoops ( Cragar S/S for example ) or stamped steel .

Keeping after polished magnesium or aluminium was a constant task , as oxidation set-in quickly , as would brake dust . These days (well , within the last ~ 40 years ) these aluminium wheels have a clear coating . Not sure if Mg. is still used for common aftermarket , styllised wheels .

In '69 I bought a little '64Dodge Dart BY and like any respect 19 year old I just had to have a set of "Mag" wheels . But I found out very quickly that there were no manufacturers making 13x5 wheels with that tiny 5 on 4 bolt circle, BUT I could get Ansen to drill a set of Midget wheels with that bolt circle and they only cost me $140 EACH!  And when they arrived I discovered that the center caps had to be modified with a few gentle whacks with a hammer so they would clear the shoulders on the lug nuts that actually stuck into the center opening of each wheel, (I did say they had a really TINY bolt circle) the other problem was that they were designed to use the drive pins and a pressure hat on a midget and the entire center diameter of each wheel was solid and a full 3/4" thick and with no "coining" or back cutting to provide some kind of cushioning you had to retorque the lugnuts every day before leaving home. I discovered this the hard way trying to find out where that annoying clicking noise was coming from. The real annoying thing was they were a raw machined aluminum wheel that required a lot of polishing at least twice a week.

Edited by horsepower

9 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I wonder if this one still exists...

IMG_3477.thumb.JPG.75afc84077466894dd9b1bd61a6b5c6d.JPGIMG_3478.thumb.JPG.6e2fbd63525fd636c4eeeab48b716e4b.JPGIMG_3480.thumb.JPG.55d8905c2e3bd9ed46603a2ec1aa32ee.JPG

-RRR

Some of what is in this parts pack found its way to the Revell Miss Deal kit.  

Not sure if that meant this tooling was revamped to deliver those parts, or just that Revell used their wood masters to pantagraph new parts.   Don't have access to a Miss Deal kit right now to look at the sprue layout...

Anyway, check your Miss Deal kits for the headers (I think....?), dropped front axle, radius rods, Moon tank, etc. 

TIM 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Some of what is in this parts pack found its way to the Revell Miss Deal kit.  

Not sure if that meant this tooling was revamped to deliver those parts, or just that Revell used their wood masters to pantagraph new parts.   Don't have access to a Miss Deal kit right now to look at the sprue layout...

Anyway, check your Miss Deal kits for the headers (I think....?), dropped front axle, radius rods, Moon tank, etc. 

TIM 

Yes, I was figuring this was cut up for the Ms. (let's be politically correct, shall we?😬) Deal kit. -RRR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, horsepower said:

In '69 I bought a little '64Dodge Dart [ ... ]  I just had to have a set of "Mag" wheels . But I found out very quickly that there were no manufacturers making 13x5 wheels with that tiny 5 on 4 bolt circle

I am all-too-familiar with that asinine , 1960-1972 A-body-specific bolt circle pattern .  My first car was a 1972 Swinger which I bought in 1989 for $800 .  Not wanting to sully the original spare tyre ( completely untouched , jack , stand , and all ) , I set about to procure a replacement spare at the salvage yard .

First spare with a good tyre was from a 1975 Duster . My first experience with that stupid small bolt circle ! The wheel wouldn't fit !  I quickly sold it to a customer at the gas station one night . His 1976 Scamp's tyre popped and he didn't have a spare . So , for $10 , I did an 'off-the-record' swap for him . I'd paid $3.50 for it at the junk yard  ; I was saving the customer -a regular- lots of grief and money . 

Next salvage yard trip -- now aware of that stupid bolt pattern -- found me grabbing a nice wheel / tyre off of a 1969 Dart 170 . I didn't bother to check if it'd fit on disc brake equipped cars with that ridiculous pattern ! ARRRGG !  I sold that non-fitting combo to someone else for $7.00 . 

I finally found a perfect 14" steel wheel off of a 1972 Swinger , and used it for a spare . 

A few years later , I swapped the impossible-to-find-parts-for 4-piston brakes in favour of a setup from a 1974 Duster 360 , which also gave up its 3.21 geared 8.25" rear .

No more problems with wheels ( and garbage brakes ) !

Mother Mopar led the way with stupid wheel bolt patterns...don't forget those Dakotas with 6 on-4-1/2" bolt circle!  A lot of fullsize Dodge pickups still had five-lug wheels, I can't figure why they felt the smaller truck needed six lugs...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I am all-too-familiar with that asinine , 1960-1972 A-body-specific bolt circle pattern .  My first car was a 1972 Swinger which I bought in 1989 for $800 .  Not wanting to sully the original spare tyre ( completely untouched , jack , stand , and all ) , I set about to procure a replacement spare at the salvage yard .

First spare with a good tyre was from a 1975 Duster . My first experience with that stupid small bolt circle ! The wheel wouldn't fit !  I quickly sold it to a customer at the gas station one night . His 1976 Scamp's tyre popped and he didn't have a spare . So , for $10 , I did an 'off-the-record' swap for him . I'd paid $3.50 for it at the junk yard  ; I was saving the customer -a regular- lots of grief and money . 

Next salvage yard trip -- now aware of that stupid bolt pattern -- found me grabbing a nice wheel / tyre off of a 1969 Dart 170 . I didn't bother to check if it'd fit on disc brake equipped cars with that ridiculous pattern ! ARRRGG !  I sold that non-fitting combo to someone else for $7.00 . 

I finally found a perfect 14" steel wheel off of a 1972 Swinger , and used it for a spare . 

A few years later , I swapped the impossible-to-find-parts-for 4-piston brakes in favour of a setup from a 1974 Duster 360 , which also gave up its 3.21 geared 8.25" rear .

No more problems with wheels ( and garbage brakes ) !

around the place where I worked in the mid  '70's, that bolt pattern was known as BVD*.  It was even printed that way in some of the wheel catalogs and parts books.

* BVD, seemed like an appropriate slang term for something odd but equals Barracuda, Valiant , Dart

• Like 1

Most of the '63 Corvette engine pack was incorporated into the Revell '57 Chevy kit (the old one, that Atlantis now has).  With the Chrysler engine being in the Studebaker funny car now, the only "surprise" Revell parts pack engines Atlantis could bring back would be the Buick and custom/fictional turbine engines.  The remaining four are the ones Revell reissued twenty years or so ago.

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems most of the parts packs got integrated into many of Revell's mainstream kits back in the 60's. Which would make finding the parts pretty easy.

63 Corvette engine and 283 engine parts ended up in the 57 Chevys. 

23 T bucket in the Tweedy Pie and Rodfather.

Custom frame and Hemi in Miss Deal Studebaker

Dragster frames in Revellion 62 Dart, Mickey Thompson Attempt 1, Tony Nancy 22jr.

Pontiac engine in Mickey Thompson Challenger 1

Ford SOHC engine in Henry J and Austin gasser

Olds V8 in Thames Panel and Anglia

If I'm wrong, please correct me and if I missed anything, please add to the list.

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

So it seems most of the parts packs got integrated into many of Revell's mainstream kits back in the 60's. Which would make finding the parts pretty easy.

63 Corvette engine and 283 engine parts ended up in the 57 Chevys. 

23 T bucket in the Tweedy Pie and Rodfather.

Custom frame and Hemi in Miss Deal Studebaker

Dragster frames in Revellion 62 Dart, Mickey Thompson Attempt 1, Tony Nancy 22jr.

Pontiac engine in Mickey Thompson Challenger 1

Ford SOHC engine in Henry J and Austin gasser

Olds V8 in Thames Panel and Anglia

If I'm wrong, please correct me and if I missed anything, please add to the list.

The T bucket body in the Tweedy Pie is not the parts pack body.  Both it and the double kit were produced at the same time.

The Revellion used the chassis from the Tony Nancy dragster, that chassis was never a parts pack.

The parts pack Pontiac engine was neved used in any kit other than maybe one of the double kits.  The Challenger I had four of them, and the Ford pickup had its own engine.  The same patterns were used for both, and probably for the Challenger I as well.

The Ford Cammer and Oldsmobile engines were never offered in parts packs.  There were eight parts pack engines: two small-block Chevys, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chrysler, Buick, Ford 427 wedge, and the turbine.  Two are now incorporated into kits, four were reissued about twenty years ago, leaving the Buick and turbine (hopefully) still in the tool crib.

How well would the existing Round2/AMT Model T Ford parts pack, fit the left over Chassis from the New Mooneyes kit? There is a complete chassis in there, since only one pat is used from that whole tree. There is still an extra rear axle on the Mooneyes tree also.

You can see the Frame in the Sanitary T Bucket Build on the second half of this decal sheet.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/544/revell-mooneyes-dragster-sanitary-bucket

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, alexis said:

How well would the existing Round2/AMT Model T Ford parts pack, fit the left over Chassis from the New Mooneyes kit? There is a complete chassis in there, since only one pat is used from that whole tree. There is still an extra rear axle on the Mooneyes tree also.

You can see the Frame in the Sanitary T Bucket Build on the second half of this decal sheet.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/544/revell-mooneyes-dragster-sanitary-bucket

If the kit included the "Sanitary T", I'd be interested in it.

Otherwise for me, 'Meh' 😩

On 11/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, alexis said:

I mocked this up a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my Mooneyes kit. The AMT chopped ‘25 T body fits down over the extra frame nicely. The front tires are original 60’s Revell parts pack that were made to fit the extra Halibrand front wheels in the Mooneyes kit. 

699A8AA7-2230-4009-BFFF-B15C66650F30.thumb.jpeg.d697b1c2194837577e8ef3bf52f67061.jpeg

A1ED0524-552E-47D8-8AF4-58E8CBAB0E86.thumb.jpeg.d74308f24f3854aa4724ae8d4c099ed3.jpeg

474DAF50-2215-4B1D-A8C0-81D242AC849D.thumb.jpeg.285eb7d31a703a9e86e0a7367db78655.jpeg

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Craig Irwin said:

Whats the chance Atlantis got the Revell 1964 Beatles figure kits?

It would be a hard day's night before that happened. I see the possibility of those kits being reissued down a long and winding road as far as getting license. Definitely I'd think I feel fine and would twist and shout if somehow the powers to be would let it be.

I know some of you can't buy me love but enough! Looking at the clock I realize it's almost yesterday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I mocked this up a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my Mooneyes kit. The AMT chopped ‘25 T body fits down over the extra frame nicely. The front tires are original 60’s Revell parts pack that were made to fit the extra Halibrand front wheels in the Mooneyes kit. 

699A8AA7-2230-4009-BFFF-B15C66650F30.thumb.jpeg.d697b1c2194837577e8ef3bf52f67061.jpeg

A1ED0524-552E-47D8-8AF4-58E8CBAB0E86.thumb.jpeg.d74308f24f3854aa4724ae8d4c099ed3.jpeg

474DAF50-2215-4B1D-A8C0-81D242AC849D.thumb.jpeg.285eb7d31a703a9e86e0a7367db78655.jpeg

Oh man, that looks great already 😍

12 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Dennis....Oh yea!   TB

9 hours ago, iBorg said:

It would be a hard day's night before that happened. I see the possibility of those kits being reissued down a long and winding road as far as getting license. Definitely I'd think I feel fine and would twist and shout if somehow the powers to be would let it be.

I know some of you can't buy me love but enough! Looking at the clock I realize it's almost yesterday.

That is something to talk about. :)

9 hours ago, iBorg said:

Get back Loretta! :lol:

15 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Careful with those tires, they will eventually eat up those rims! 

• 2 weeks later...