Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I keep my CA glue nozzle from plugging?

About a year ago I bought 3 fairly large bottle of different types of CS glue about the size of a shot glass. Two of the bottles have no nozzle now because it kept clogging or sticking to the cap. I usually pour a dab of glue on a pallet, but without a nozzle the flow can be way too much even to transfer to a pallet.

Any ideas?

Scott

Too little too late, but I've gotten into the habit of wiping the end of the nozzle with a rag before putting thr cap on.  I use Loctite super glue because I think the cap seals better than others I have tried; with the most recent bottle I did use all of the glue.

I too have learned that lesson. I pull the cap, put a drop on a piece of masking taped laid on the desk to dip into and set the bottle upright, cap off, until my pieces are glued. The glue runs back into the bottle and I wipe the tip. I squeeze it a few times to make sure the tip is clear and replace the cap. The cap never see wet glue so it does not try to stick. I also keep a hat pin handy in case the nozzle gets clogged. Since I usually make sure the nozzle is clear before I cap I have not needed to use it for a while now.

I made the mistake of not checking the Gorilla SG out when I bought a   couple bottles and they had gotten very thick and unusable so I saved the tops for replacing the plugged tops on the other bottles. When a top gets clogged I replace it and soak the clogged top in acetone for awhile then poke out all of the glue buildup and use it as a replacement cap

• Thanks 1

I also use Gorilla Super Glue but I use the Micro Precise type. The bottle comes with a anti clog cap. been using it for about 6 months and never had a clogged cap. It sure has saved me a bunch of glue and a lot of bunged models. You can put just 1 drop on what you are gluing or if you need more just squeeze the side of the bottle again. Comes out 1 drop at a time. very neat and precise.

Jeff

I usually keep my superglue (Zap a Gap CA++) in the fridge. I wipe the nozzle before replacing the cap. When the nozzle fills up with glue and won't flow, I run a wooden toothpick down the bore and it is usually all clear to dispense again.

I never use super glue fast enough to warrant a large quantity so I always get the smallest bottle and just unscrew the nozzle and dip my disposable brush , toothpick , glue applicator into the bottle .  I mostly use super glue for tacking things together quickly .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how many other brand bottles these would work on but I bought a pack of these and when the cap gets bad I just switch to a fresh one. You might be able to find other sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NI8MS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these on the 2oz Super Gold bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1