Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Comet

ewetwo

This has been stripped 2 times and painted 3 times. Then I clear coated it which I'm new to. Now I'm trying to get this side trim and it's just not working. Even with all the lights I have on. I'm having a hard time seeing the lines. First I started with foil. But a 1/4 of a sheet later it didn't do well. Then I masked it off and tried the chrome pen. But it wouldn't paint and I'm thinking it's because I clear coated it which like I've said. I've never used clear coat before. I hate the thought of tossing it into the purple pond for the 3rd time. I've been trying to replicate my 1964 Comet I owned when I was a teen. 

image0.jpeg

It

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

This has been stripped 2 times and painted 3 times. Then I clear coated it which I'm new to. Now I'm trying to get this side trim and it's just not working. Even with all the lights I have on. I'm having a hard time seeing the lines. First I started with foil. But a 1/4 of a sheet later it didn't do well. Then I masked it off and tried the chrome pen. But it wouldn't paint and I'm thinking it's because I clear coated it which like I've said. I've never used clear coat before. I hate the thought of tossing it into the purple pond for the 3rd time. I've been trying to replicate my 1964 Comet I owned when I was a teen. 

image0.jpeg

I think using the masking tape as a guide method would have worked with your foiling.  I sure has for me.

I'm new to model cars too and just tried BMF for the first time on a 70 Charger. I didn't use the tape method and it turned out okay but not great. I figured it was good for a first try so I was happy with it. My problem is the knife drifting. I find that the less pressure the better. It doesn't seem to take much pressure to make a clean cut and less chance of drift. I also put the foil right on the Splash paint and clear coated over it thinking it would give me a better edge to guide the blade. 

Foiling can be a a frustrating experience, but also rewarding. Try outlining all of the trim with a #11 just before the first coat of primer. What this will due is give you an edge that you should be able to follow when it comes time for foiling. I would still use some tape to help protect the body paint as well as cleaner removal of unwanted foil. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the purple pond it goes. Trying to do the foiling messed the paint up to a point that I had to throw it back into the purple pond. I might just do it with no side chrome. I pull the knife lightly and in one direction and the knife has a life of its own going everywhere. Ugh! I know a local guy who is much better than me as a builder. I might just pay him to do the chrome. I really want this replica of my first car on the road. 

Take a tooth brush and scrub it down then put it back in the drink.  I know what you mean about the bmf.  I tried my hand at it today and I'd hate to have a long run like what your doing.  Mine came out pretty good but it was not a long run like yours.

new.jpg.788fe88cea7661fda105f5821358b95f.jpg

On 6/3/2021 at 12:09 AM, ewetwo said:

Back in the purple pond it goes. Trying to do the foiling messed the paint up to a point that I had to throw it back into the purple pond. I might just do it with no side chrome. I pull the knife lightly and in one direction and the knife has a life of its own going everywhere. Ugh! I know a local guy who is much better than me as a builder. I might just pay him to do the chrome. I really want this replica of my first car on the road. 

If I was closer, I'd do it for you David.

But, you should keep at it. You'll get better with each try. It is one of the most difficult skills to master. I've been doing it for almost 40 years and still muck it up once and a while.

And David's tip about going around the trim with the back of a blade can help too.

Bob. The seats look great. And I thank you and Steve for the words of encouragement. Main problem is not how many lights I have to what I’m doing. I can’t distinguish what is the edge of the trim or body design on the side because of the black paint. But I will continue to work at it.

5 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Bob. The seats look great. And I thank you and Steve for the words of encouragement. Main problem is not how many lights I have to what I’m doing. I can’t distinguish what is the edge of the trim or body design on the side because of the black paint. But I will continue to work at it.

Use the masking tape guide method, it works.

9 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Thanks David.  Maybe once you get the black paint on again try some white masking tape as a guide so you can see it better against the black.   

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

What paint is it and did you prime it before painting?

Mike. I used Duplicolor primer, paint and clear coat. Some has come off there the knife went astray while trying to foil. And I'm going to try taping when I get back to it Bob. Thanks guys.

David, this was my 1st time using bmf.  While practicing I learnt quick that it only took the weight of my X-Acto knife (new blade) to cut through the bmf.  I also learnt very quickly that I need to wait til the afternoon when all the caffeine is out of my system.  I was shaking from the caffeine and I thought is was my nerves ☺ 

I feel your pain David. I have tried BMF on several projects and experienced what I like to call the  “Ouija Board X-acto knife misfortune”, particularly around curved features. I’ve seen some amazing foil jobs on this board as well as on models at contests but even on areas where my knife doesn’t slip, my finished foil ends up with micro wrinkles or bumpy surface due to imperfect base paint. I only use foil now on interior features (door handles, dash, seat surrounds) or to repair kit chrome and have gone back to masking and airbrushing body trim and window frames with Alclad over black enamel. It’s much more time (and masking tape) consuming but much easier to control and I never get that wrinkled Hershey’s Kisses foil wrap look. Hoping you can master BMF but if you can’t, don’t feel bad, you’re not the only one!

My foil went on ok but it has that "wrinkled Hershey’s Kisses foil wrap look" like John said.  I'll finish out the rest of the sheet but may go another route down the road.  Just don't know yet.