Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Ford email announcement...

I drove a '68 mustang from age 17 (late 70s) to age 41. Early on, I discovered that this style Ford door latch made a fine bottle opener as long as you were quick about getting the bottle upright after it was opened. Near the end of my ownership, I demonstrated that party trick at an impromptu show, much to the shock of the more tightly wound attendees. It was about 85% original paint when I sold it, and it had tell-tale chips in the door jamb from the bottles it had opened over the course of my ownership.

Edited by Rodent
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:34 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Oh boy...watch .... here comes the revolt from Ford Mustang junkies. If that is the supposed new “Mustang”, that is wrong! Everybody from the top down, including the CEO and designers should be fired.

No, not a replacement for the Mustang,  its being sold along side it.

8 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

No, not a replacement for the Mustang,  its being sold along side it.

They sell every Mustang they build........my local dealer can only get 3 a month......they sell within days each time they come in. BTW....this is truck country.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Probably figured somebody who'd buy an F150 had strong enough hands to do without...   B)

EDIT: What surprises me is that the opener isn't motorized, with a phone app to run it.

Silly me...that's probably part of the special Urban Adventurer upgrade package.

Ha!

Actually, with the amount of electronic assisted do-dads on my truck, I would be kind of shocked to find a manual bottle opener. Even the gas cap is electric. The tailgate is power up and down. So much to go wrong. I feel sorry for the person who buys one of these off of warranty.

I still say that would be a decent little truck for that need a cheap little truck, plus with the power outlet option, you could throw a windowless topper to haul R/C cars or the smaller R/C planes around in. Also be good for older people with mobility scooters as well, should be able to change those while transporting it!

• Thanks 1

A lot of features, a hybrid engine, and a starting price of $26k CDN. Ideal for people that want a car with a big trunk. Or as Ford states, "the vehicle for customers who didn't know they needed a truck."

I think Ford will sell a lot of these. And of course there's the new Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup. Same target market. Watch for others to introduce some competition over the next few years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

A lot of features, a hybrid engine, and a starting price of $26k CDN. Ideal for people that want a car with a big trunk. Or as Ford states, "the vehicle for customers who didn't know they needed a truck."

It'll like;y be great for people who think they need a truck and/or want the AWD, but can't see themselves in a minivan and can't use/don't need something as big as a full size or mid sized.  If he didn't have a minivan already, this would work well for Dad and his scooter as well, I have to drive myself when we do family shopping trips as the van doesn't have the room for us, his scooter and my Sister, BiL, and niece, thn this would add mobile charging for the scooter and more room for groceries.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

We're getting quite a few of these here. And they're all pre-sold. We have exactly 1 Maverick left available for 2022 model year, and I predict it will be sold before it ships from the factory. Hugely popular little truck. 

And from what I've seen, popular with the customizers too. It's reminding people of the early 90s mini-truck scene. And having seen one of these parked next to an early 90s Mazda B2600, the sizing is pretty close.

I had a Ford Courier and a Mazda B2000 back in the eighties. They were great little trucks. Easy to get into, easy to wheel around town and did all the hauling I ever needed for around the house/yard projects I needed to do. Haven't had a truck since the mid nineties. But I was curious when the new Ranger came out 3 or 4 years ago. Went to the auto show and they were all jacked up in the air even the 4X2's Why? I asked where are the lower ones and the rep I talked to said "they're all like this. It's what people want." Really?

Happy to see the Maverick going back the other way. Wish they did just an extended cab like my old Mazda B2000. I would want more bed and less people room. But there again I guess I don't fit the demographic for the mass production of these. Cool little truck though.

• Thanks 1

I'm not in the market, but I can see why so many like or want one of these new sized pickups. I was always a fan of the 1/2-ton short bed style pickup and have owned several in the past. These trucks have gained so much in overall size and look more like a giant Tonka Toy and are priced like a high-end luxury car.  

8 hours ago, espo said:

I'm not in the market, but I can see why so many like or want one of these new sized pickups. I was always a fan of the 1/2-ton short bed style pickup and have owned several in the past. These trucks have gained so much in overall size and look more like a giant Tonka Toy and are priced like a high-end luxury car.  

I think that’s why the Maverick is doing so well, reasonable size, price, can be a fuel sipping hybrid or turbocharged AWD cruiser, and best of all, it actually looks like a truck, unlike the 1st Gen Ridgeline and that Santa Cruz, which look like a cross between a SUV and Aussie “Ute”.

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They are neat little trucks, haven’t seen one yet in person.  Reminds me of the size of the older Rangers.  My Dad had one (‘93) and my brother had 2 (‘97 and ‘09).  They were useful for light duty hauling. 

If I remember correctly, they’re pretty close to the later rounded Rangers of the late 90’s into the 00’s.  One thing that would make the hybrid useful for me is the 110v outlets, would be great for running my R/C’s and recharging them in the field.

18 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I think that’s why the Maverick is doing so well, reasonable size, price, can be a fuel sipping hybrid or turbocharged AWD cruiser, and best of all, it actually looks like a truck, unlike the 1st Gen Ridgeline and that Santa Cruz, which look like a cross between a SUV and Aussie “Ute”.

I have read the specs and seen a few pictures in Motor Trend and I agree this would work for most buyers. Also Ford as well as GM have offered this type of truck in many other markets for years so neither company id really breaking new ground,  but with so many wanting this type of vehicle and the cost of the newer full size trucks it really makes sense to offer these here as well.