Model Cars Magazine Forum

Electric Mustang E outsells gas model so far in 2021

33 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bingo.

And that's the single most obvious thing the rabid sky-is-falling proponents of immediate and total replacement of IC-engined vehicles with electrics fail to recognize.

And yet your own numbers showed that you were still ahead of the game charging an electric car from a fossil fuel plant as opposed to just burning it in a IC engine.  And since we're both in agreement that we should look at the big picture, since only two thirds of the electricity in the US is generated by fossil fuels,  you get an ever greater environmental benefit.

Imho Ford did the same injustice to the The ev Mustang as Chevy did to the Blazer. The "fat" mustang is just a rebadged Escape and the "new" Blazer is just a rebadged Traverse. They are not what we old guys would call the namesake. Ford also has a new midsize truck coming out Called the "Mavrick". Did the "new" geniuses forget how to come up with a new name for these things?

1 hour ago, GRiN said:

Imho Ford did the same injustice to the The ev Mustang as Chevy did to the Blazer. The "fat" mustang is just a rebadged Escape and the "new" Blazer is just a rebadged Traverse. They are not what we old guys would call the namesake. Ford also has a new midsize truck coming out Called the "Mavrick". Did the "new" geniuses forget how to come up with a new name for these things?

When performance car makes like Porsche, Maserati, or Lamborghini started producing SUV (crossovers, or whatever they call them), to me the world has turned upside down.  When will we see a Ferrari SUV? Or does one already exist? :wacko:

1 hour ago, peteski said:

When performance car makes like Porsche, Maserati, or Lamborghini started producing SUV (crossovers, or whatever they call them), to me the world has turned upside down.  When will we see a Ferrari SUV? Or does one already exist? :wacko:

Ferrari is already talking about going electric, so it wouldn't surprise me. And does it really matter?  They aren't going to make any cool sports cars at all if they don't stay in business.

So Lamborghini makes SUVs.  They also made tractors, and that never bothered anyone.   So did Porsche, and they can trace their heritage to a sizable chunk of the Nazi war machine to boot.   Those cool Mercedes Gullwings share a name and a badge with buses and garbage trucks, and people seem to be just fine with that. The magic name of Mustang started out as a tarted up Ford Falcon, and if anyone had a problem with it sharing a blue oval with things like the Pinto, I've never heard it. 

A rose by any other name smells just as sweet,  and whatever else they build isn't going to affect how fast those performance cars go, or how they look.

I don't have a problem with a company making other vehicles (and IIRC Lamborghini made tractors *BEFORE* exotic cars). Porsche also made tractors and tanks (and Ferdinand Porsche was instrumental in developing the no-frills Volkswagen). It is just those SUVs make me want to vomit.

I have no problem with electric Ferrari - electric drive train performance matches or exceeds IC engines. Their range is the current shortcoming.

Edited by peteski

Well if they invest tax dollars into charging station I truely hope they are better than those that are in use around here!

Talked to the guy servicing them at the hospital and he says he is working overtime trying to keep them working!

Said he is at the hospital 2 to 3 times a week due to equipment failure.

12 hours ago, GRiN said:

Agree.  I prefer to call them the Pinto II.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GRiN said:

Hmm...the Mach-E is on it's own EV platform, nothing to do with the Escape.  Maybe you are thinking of the Bronco Sport which is on the Escape platform.    The new Ford compact truck is the Maverick, on the Escape platform.  (The Ford midsize truck is the Ranger). 

Edited by Rob Hall

I don't see anything wrong with the Maverick name on a small pickup, after all, how many people that buy them are going to remember it was originally on a crappy little commuter car 50 years go.  Mustang on the Mach-E is a bit of a stretch, I'd have just used the latter and left it at that.

The Maverick seems like it would be fine for a small light duty truck.  Something like that would be fine for the occasional load of shrubs or bags of mulch from Home Depot.   Though my Jeep does that just fine. 

The Mach-E looks like it would make a nice leased commuter daily driver.  Whenever I venture into EVs I may look at one (though the upcoming hybrid Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE looks appealing to me also). 

If you want to talk other fuel sources for Cars, Propane does not have the power of gas but has been and still is used for decades. In fact the paper company my brother worked for has used propane for over 30 years and still do. They just warm the trucks up on gas when loaded. Very clean engines inside when they give up the ghost.  Many City owed cars over the years have been powered by naturel gas off and On for decades.  The one thing that is in common with what we are able to have in a mass market cant be owned by us at home.  So if you can fill your own fuel cell at home with a do it yourself kit sorry about your luck.  Sorry if this is to close to the line of the forum. 

23 hours ago, peteski said:

Get ready.....

2022 Ferrari Purosangue: What We Know So Far (caranddriver.com)

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, webestang said:

I was looking at the specs and was shocked that these things weight between 4600 and 4900 pounds.  Good thing they are electric. Heck my 96 Crown Vic only weighs 3700 pounds. 

That's pretty average to light for a midsize CUV and for an EV CUV.   The Tesla Model Y it competes with is about the same size and weight...by comparison, my Jeep which is slightly larger with a V6 and AWD is close to 5000lbs. 

The larger Tesla Model X is 5000 to 5500lbs.   

Some EV CUVs are much heavier--the new GMC Hummer EV is over 9000lbs.

1 minute ago, webestang said:

WOW....that's crazy. I guess weight has no meaning since EV's do not have to worry about gas mileage. 

My understanding is that the current battery packs are very heavy.  At least that weight is down low.  I'm sure as battery technology evolves, the weight will come down. 

4 hours ago, webestang said:

WOW....that's crazy. I guess weight has no meaning since EV's do not have to worry about gas mileage. 

No meaning?  Why? Is electric charge in batteries infinite?  The batteries (just like a fuel tank in IC vehicles) have specific capacity, and increasing the range of EVs is the Holy Grail of electric vehicles.  Plus, if you drain the battery, you can't just refill is in couple of minutes (like gas tank). It will take hours to recharge.

17 hours ago, peteski said:

No meaning?  Why? Is electric charge in batteries infinite?  The batteries (just like a fuel tank in IC vehicles) have specific capacity, and increasing the range of EVs is the Holy Grail of electric vehicles.  Plus, if you drain the battery, you can't just refill is in couple of minutes (like gas tank). It will take hours to recharge.

You are right, don't mind me, I have no idea what I'm thinking. 🤪