Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy II Gasser!!!!!!

So, who is going to be the first to say, "I'm sorry" for all the vitriol directed at Dave / Moebius for the "Chopped Roof" Tempest-in-a-Teapot, that prompted this re-work?

Dave, Thank You for listening. I'm sure this will pay large dividends to Moebius going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, alexis said:

So, who is going to be the first to say, "I'm sorry" for all the vitriol directed at Dave / Moebius for the "Chopped Roof" Tempest-in-a-Teapot, that prompted this re-work?

Dave, Thank You for listening. I'm sure this will pay large dividends to Moebius going forward.

More like:

See the source image

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alexis said:

Agreed - and Tim Boyd is still owed several apologies too I think for taking a bunch of abuse for making the mistake of trying to give us all a sneak peek of a cool new kit, out of the kindness of his heart.

I hope the whole experience didn’t sour them both on future sneak-peaks like we got for this one!  I’ll be picking up a bunch of these to build some gassers!

• Like 1

Uh-huh.  So now we're down to demanding apologies for statements of fact in one breath, even as we posit that same "tempest in a teapot" prompted  -

exact words

an improved product in the other.

Everybody see that? The more critical among us are supposed to apologize for prompting a more accurate model for everyone.  I mean it is  a little thick to suppose the critics alone prompted the change - I bet the fix was literally in just as the chopped preview kits went out, or even before - but that is exactly what's being said here in the most literal sense.

Look at all the logical pretzel twists necessary to justify that particular p o v.

What happened to Tim is unconscionable, most especially because his hands were clean. But elsewhere in that exchange, there were dirty hands AAALLLLL AROUND.  Apologies to TIM, most certainly; but this whole idea of apologizing for pointing out a plain inaccuracy is about as useful as a forcefully self-administered suppository.

Congratulations and thanks for fixing the issue, on the other hand, are in order.

Well, as it happens, Mr Metzner,  I observed a month and a half ago in the link above that the ratio of the bottom edge of the front DLO to the height of the opening in the 1:1 hovered right around .32.  What do I see now in the correction? @.31, well within measurement error, plus a vastly improved shape to the rear DLO.  Just as previous pictures bode poorly, these portend something far better.  And so I loudly applaud you and vociferously express my gratitude to Moebius for dialing this in.

For all any sort of online praise or castigation is worth - because there's only one practical kind of appreciation that means anything to Moebius, and improving your product to enhance that is good business sense.  I'll be ponying up a few shares of hard, practical appreciation, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck with enough others going beyond lip service to do likewise.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
s p e l l i n g i t o u t
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, alexis said:

I doubt those individuals will. It was justified behavior in their minds. In addition they owe Tim Boyd a huge apology also.  Doubt that will happen either.

22 hours ago, kopperkart said:

Nice to have a company that responds to the customer. Thanks Moebius!

Ditto, I support Moebius by buying just about every kit and will continue when the Chevy II's are out. It's so refreshing for a company to listen to their customers while sharing new kits before production. It seems every year gets better and hopefully some Dodge pickups and 67-72 correct Chevys will be on their way as well.

Pay attention Round2. 

Well done Dave!

Edited by BobbyG

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Agreed - and Tim Boyd is still owed several apologies too I think for taking a bunch of abuse for making the mistake of trying to give us all a sneak peek of a cool new kit, out of the kindness of his heart.

I hope the whole experience didn’t sour them both on future sneak-peaks like we got for this one!  I’ll be picking up a bunch of these to build some gassers!

Agreed.

22 hours ago, alexis said:

"You're not wrong, but it's just one of those "Is what it is" type scenarios. It's too late to fix it, as the required fix would require scrapping the entire body tool and also the clear runner (to make the windows bigger). Unless they can do something with an optic illusion. "- known forum contributor with hobby insider connections (his claim).

Hmmm, maybe it wasn't too late after all? My theory is that we should let those directly involved decide when it's too late and not engage in a game "I know better than you"

Edited by mikemodeler
  • Like 1

A friend and I are both more interested in the '64 production version than the '65 A/FX car. We have a question for the Nova experts. What are the trim/grille/badging /whatever differences between the '64 and '63 cars? I know the kit will be far more detailed than the AMT annuals and have a V8, but how different is the actual car? 

A few images of the updated body with the mods to achieve a taller side window DLO (overall greenhouse did not change is it was already correct as previously noted)....from the Moebius display at today's NNL Motor City....

DSC 0182

DSC 0184

DSC 0185

For comparison, the prior version was also on display...

DSC 0183

TB

• Like 1

After several comments I made in the Tim Boyd's build thread (to take measurements of the kit's body and 1:1 car, since the kit obviously did not look like the 1:1 car), and all the dancing around the subject, the body is now corrected.  I had a chuckle seeing that a correction was made (requiring major retooling), and I'm also glad that the manufacturer listened to the modeler's comments. But OTOH, maybe the decision to retool the kit was made without any consideration to the comments made on this forum. We will likely never know. Either way I'm very happy that the model was corrected.

I also think that with  the way things are today (all this online presence), it would be beneficial to everybody if manufacturers allowed online modelers to comment on new kits being made, even before tooling is cut.  Most are now CAD-designed and prototyped using 3D printing. Showing those to a bunch of knowledgeable modelers could prevent errors in the final product.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Reegs said:

"But OTOH, maybe the decision to retool the kit was made without any consideration to the comments made on this forum."

I was thinking the same thing.  

Yep....that pretty much sums up my understanding here.   Unfortunately, guys, the tonality of some of the forum comments and the view of some that the roof was chopped when Moebius clearly knew it was correct tended to undermine the influence of forum comments here. 

Instead, from my understanding, after seeing my buildup images with the incorrect upper door trim molding blacked out, Dave went back to look again at their references.   The correspondence that followed showed me that he had a real desire to dig and determine what was at play here and how the body could be made even more accurate.   He was also able to reference precise dimensions from a real car owned by another industry figure who works for a different model company to verify, in part, my theory that the issue causing the appearance was the height of the DLO - industry jargon for the side window daylight opening.  (BTW, the original "measuring session" of a real car took place many months ago, and that car presumably was not available for follow-up measurements).   While the aforementioned incorrect door top trim was the major issue, Dave determined that there were also other refinements that would help the DLO accuracy, including the vertical height of the window frame at the top of the door, and the vertical height of the roof drip molding.  With these refinements, he was able to get the model dimension to then reflect almost perfectly the real car DLO vertical height.   Fortunately, due to the configuration of the side body tool, all those changes could be affected without having to mod the top body tool as well.  However, and is so often the case with these type of last minute changes, these refinements would require changes to the vent and quarter windows, and possibly other parts too.  And then the changes would have to be verified in a test shot build, and then the body and window tooling re-polished once again, as the tooling at that point was already essentially finished and ready for production - and as you can imagine, the prospect of these changes did not go over so well with the tooling vendor.  

Once the refinements were researched and refined, Moebius had to determine the costs and timing impact.  Discussions took place with Dave's boss and the company owner, and in spite of the timing, workload, and incremental costs, apparently they decided to go ahead as we saw the revised tool yesterday at the show.  

So what was the deciding factor in making the changes?  I wasn't there for the discussions, but based on my observations I think it was a burning desire by Dave and his team, as well as the company's owner, to get the kit as right as it could be.  I think that says a great deal about Moebius and their ambitions for the future. 

Best all....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, peteski said:

I also think that with  the way things are today (all this online presence), it would be beneficial to everybody if manufacturers allowed online modelers to comment on new kits being made, even before tooling is cut.  Most are now CAD-designed and prototyped using 3D printing. Showing those to a bunch of knowledgeable modelers could prevent errors in the final product.

Glad that it was possible for the tooling to be adjusted. I understand the process and that was an above and beyond action.

Ideally the previews would be helpful. However when we have the bad behavior that went on with  Tim's review I doubt anyone would want to subject themselves to that.

Hey they not only burned that bridge they blew it up for good measure. Unfortunately we live in a world that lacks civility and we all pay the price for the actions of the few. We can express our opinions without being obnoxious about it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Ideally the previews would be helpful. However when we have the bad behavior that went on with  Tim's review I doubt anyone would want to subject themselves to that.

Hey they not only burned that bridge they blew it up for good measure. Unfortunately we live in a world that lacks civility and we all pay the price for the actions of the few. We can express our opinions without being obnoxious about it.

Well, (while my suggestions in that thread were not inflammatory), I think that Tim deflecting, or ignoring  any comments about the inaccuracy of the body (which clearly seemed to be "off" to the knowledgeable modelers who actually cared about the problem) didn't help things either.  If Tim simply admit that the model was "off", that would have likely prevented some, or all of the animosity.  But then again, Tim being in the position that he was in (reviewing a preproduction model supplied by the manufacturer) had to defend the model's accuracy.  It was a tough position to be in. Seems like in this case it was a no-win situation for Tim and for the knowledgeable modelers making (increasingly inflammatory, after being ignored) comments.

But if (as I mentioned) the manufacturer showed the 3D printed prototype body before cutting the tool, they would have gained valuable info from the "experts" on this forum, so the original tool would have been cut accurately.  At least that is how I see it. Work out all the kinks before cutting tooling, crowd-sourcing the knowledge.