Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7

Plowboy

I finally got the body ready to go onto the chassis and interior. But, I have a bit of a fitment issue. The interior fits the body just like it should. But, for some reason, I have a pretty big gap (1mm+) between the firewall and the body. Not good!

20221216_173539-1.jpg.6e5b343ba3f633027a1cfefc617ad87e.jpg

I think it may be the dash and windshield not getting along. So, I'm going to remove the dash and check the fit again. If that's the issue, then I gotta figure out which one to trim down. I think I can cut the windshield down a little more. But, I need to remove it to do so and I have it glued in pretty well. It may come loose. If I can't get it out, I'll see if I can drop the dash down a bit. Besides that issue, everything fit great!

20221216_173508-1.jpg.e97fe7f247f7bc1b023685297c4ea853.jpg

My trunk even works like it should!

20221216_173620-1.jpg.d6b942342da9e4687cc0c3dad4d89c88.jpg

Once I get my fitment issue resolved, it shouldn't take long to get it finished.  

• Like 9

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/16/22 Finished Body And Test Fit
7 hours ago, slusher said:

Can you use a 63 interior?

No, I have too much work in this one to change now. I still have the original interior. But, it leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I changed it.

I removed the dash and did another test fit. It made practically no difference. I could push it together. But, it made the door panels come above the body slightly. I'm going to stick the radiator support in and check the fit with it also. If it's OK, I'm going to make a filler piece that will glue to the bottom of the cowl and paint it beforehand. Hopefully, it'll look decent.   

6 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

No, I have too much work in this one to change now. I still have the original interior. But, it leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I changed it.

I removed the dash and did another test fit. It made practically no difference. I could push it together. But, it made the door panels come above the body slightly. I'm going to stick the radiator support in and check the fit with it also. If it's OK, I'm going to make a filler piece that will glue to the bottom of the cowl and paint it beforehand. Hopefully, it'll look decent.   

Yeah, if everything else is fitting together properly, I would concentrate on a fix for the firewall itself as well.

Is there anything you can do to lift the firewall and do your filling along the bottom?

I'm guessing probably not if the firewall is also part of the interior floor, but a fix at the bottom would be less noticeable if possible.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, if everything else is fitting together properly, I would concentrate on a fix for the firewall itself as well.

Is there anything you can do to lift the firewall and do your filling along the bottom?

I'm guessing probably not if the firewall is also part of the interior floor, but a fix at the bottom would be less noticeable if possible.

Steve

The firewall is part of the interior. There's no way to cut it loose and move it up. I've got the gap down to .020. I'm going to do what I mentioned earlier to fix it. 

Here's a couple of photos of the fix. It was really simple. I just glued a piece of. 020 styrene to the bottom of the cowl and brush painted it. I glued it so the edge was past the original piece. It made a small reveal and almost makes it look like it should be there. So, I'm happy with how it looks.

20221219_135109-1.jpg.0d4a72d051168ee334abe183b1514c10.jpg

No gap! Now, I'm ready to glue the body permanent once I get the radiator and support glued on.

20221219_134948-1.jpg.98a6e41efb5dda3d2b5621df57145b1c.jpg

• Like 5

Finally finished! Although I gotta find better headlight lenses. These are too thick and give it a bug eyed look. They'll have to do for now. Since -20 to -30 wind chills aren't conducive for outside photos, you'll have to suffer this indoor photo. My tablet doesn't do very well indoors.

20221223_124728-1.jpg.214eeb95be988306155a464ccce0ad0f.jpg

Thanx to everyone that followed along, made suggestions and gave ideas! Much appreciated! As soon as I can do outside photos, I'll post them under glass.

• Like 10

• Plowboy changed the title to '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Update! 12/23/22 Finally Done! Pic pg. 7
  • 4 weeks later...