Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How I make wood grain

Fantom

So I thought I’d make a short tutorial on how I do wood grain…I’m using this for a wood floor in my Peterbilt. 

step 1

I apply a coat of Tamiya xr 57 buff, but any acrylic light tan would work, let this dry completely.

step 2 

Using oil paint, I don’t on small spots of burnt umber ,raw umber, burnt sienna raw sienna, all different shades of brown. 

step 3

Before the oil paint dries, drag a soft wide brush through the spots, lightly blending the browns. Let this dry for several days and make sure it’s completely dry.

step 4 

Apply coats of Tamiya x26 clear orange. Coat until your happy with the color

Hope this helps, would work well in a truck bed.

CF3D9BAC-6A67-4C43-A614-BA0B337BC076.jpeg

F58FAF9D-DFD7-4563-8028-99A789E9137B.jpeg

4914AC83-6AD9-480E-B677-37F18E63493C.jpeg

88F56231-B27C-4EB9-8CA6-87524493D179.jpeg

Great technique. The final coat of clear orange is what makes the outcome really look like varnished (pine) wood.

I wish I could know some more about the brush you used, though : I have the feeling that a soft brush would lay/blend the color but your pictures show strikes instead, like the brush was rather pretty hard?

Edited by ChopSauce

On 10/31/2021 at 3:32 AM, ChopSauce said:

Great technique. The final coat of clear orange is what makes the outcome really look like varnished (pine) wood.

I wish I could know some more about the brush you used, though : I have the feeling that a soft brush would lay/blend the color but your pictures show strikes instead, like the brush was rather pretty hard?

I would guess a fan brush if you have one its very wide and extremely flexible, impossible to paint with but easily used to drag

On 11/2/2021 at 9:41 AM, Cin0s3 said:

I would guess a fan brush if you have one its very wide and extremely flexible, impossible to paint with but easily used to drag

I don't know anything about this type of oil paint but can you just run a brush over it and have it spread properly?  Would it not have to be thinned?

26 minutes ago, showrods said:

I don't know anything about this type of oil paint but can you just run a brush over it and have it spread properly?  Would it not have to be thinned?

No it does not need to be thinned….. and really whatever brush you use to blend or wipe it doesn’t really matter as long as it’s wide enough to create whatever look your going for

On 10/26/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bills72sj said:

Very realistic results. Have you used this technique with panels that have molded in woodgrain texture?

Great question.  I'm working on the Aurora Alfred E Neuman model kit.  The base has the wavy wood grain channels inscribed right into the plastic.  Can anyone provide suggestions on how to get a realistic wood finish?

In other words, the wood grain trenches are already inscribed into the plastic.  How should I go about applying paint to the base without clogging said trenches and make it look realistic?

Thanks!

Paint the base with an acrylic paint, such as Vallejo Model Color 70.834 Natural Wood Grain

Vallejo Model Color Natural Wood Grain 70834 for painting miniatures

apply clearcoat (flat/semigloss/gloss, it doesn't matter), followed by a wash of Vallejo Model Color 70.828 Woodgrain

Vallejo Model Color Woodgrain 70828 for painting miniatures

Use a water dampened cloth and lightly wipe the darker color off, following the grain. There will be enough residual paint left in the recessed areas to impart a wood-like appearance.

Edited by SfanGoch