Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Tubbed Out 66 Nova Chassis*

I have an AMT 66 Nova chassis setting around.  I believe the rear half that is tubbed out has been cut off and graphed onto other chassis to get that Pro Street look.  Looking for advise on what kit would be a good candidate to start my first major mod for a Pro Street build.  If you have a build you've done this on let me see some pics and what all was involved in the process.   

20211117_080308.jpg

20211117_080323.jpg

Edited by Zippi

I'll have to get pix Bob. But, I've used it under a '72 Nova, '66 Mustang and Fairlane. I think a couple of others. The process is simple. Just cut the tubbed Nova chassis just in front of the cross member that the springs rest on. Cut your stock chassis just in front of the wheel wells. Place it in the body, place the tubs on top, mark it, cut and glue together. Trim to fit if necessary. 

Another way to do it is use the Nova tubs/ floorpan and graft the frame clip from your kit to it. I used the entire chassis under the '72. Can't remember if I changed the front suspension or not. 

Thanks fellows.  Greg, I have the 66 Nova chassis in the pics.  I'm looking to do just what Roger explained in his post.  I've got the AMT 60 Ford Ranchero I'd love to put some big ol meats on.

Edited by Zippi

For midsize cars other than GM, take a look at the Mopar pro street kits ('68 Roadrunner, '69 GTX, '70 Coronet).  Those are also good for most Fifties cars also (which are pretty much the same size as most Sixties intermediates).  The Coronet rear underbody is different from the RR/GTX (as I recall, the kickup over the rear axle is higher).

For GM intermediates, the '67 Chevelle (AMT or Revell) is the way to go, as you might just be able to swap the entire chassis.  If not, the rear half will probably be easier to join to the front half of whatever chassis is already under the car.

Big meats, tubs…. You’re speaking my language here Bob!!  The Matt and Debbie Hays T-bird is a fantastic kit and the tubs are quite deep which allows a low stance. The ‘67 Chevelles are a good source, some of the old/re-issued pro stock kits are a great source for tubs too. I look forward to seeing your WIP !!

Cheers, Steve

• Zippi changed the title to *Tubbed Out 66 Nova Chassis*
9 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Lol,tubed out. Sorry, I read things as they are written. Makes me smile every time it comes to the top. :D

Haha....guess I need to read a little before I post.  Anyway I think you fella's got my meaning.  

I opened the box on the 60 Ford Ranchero.  Looks like the entire bed would need to be cut out to mate up the 66 Nova back half and I'm not sure how I could get in there to do that.  Plus, the tubbed out area is wider than the Ranchero body. I did a moc up with the mag wheels and tires out of the 61 Chevy Impala SS and that looks pretty kewl.  

20211124_102024.jpg

20211124_102031.jpg

20211123_104042.jpg

20211123_104056.jpg

Edited by Zippi