Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back...with a new attitude

Hey people, it's nice to find some ( maybe all ) of you on this forum.  After SA went away I found  that their forum eventually began to suffer and I got really involved in building. The need to share faded as I became obsessed with details and radical mods, experimenting with unfamiliar techniques.  With 3 or 4 builds at a time going on, it became too much to build and to also document and then share my thoughts.  I HATED TAKING PICTURES!!  I decended into a sort of madness and began to isolate myself from the outside world......well, COVID had a lot to do with it too.  I retired in November of 2019 and then COVID came along and it was a perfect storm.. while waiting for paint to dry I would scour Ebay for bargains... I was buying kits I would never build! Eagerly, I would be planning the next project.. I was opening kits and cutting parts from trees for no reason and removing engines for swaps and forgetting where I put them.. moving wheels and tires to other kits.....it was getting out of hand.. and then I realized two things. 1) I was accumulating a lot of extra parts (especially fenders.)  And 2) I was running out of space for finished projects.....oh, and 3) I had a lot of busted kits.  I have concluded that I need to slow down. So here I am, begging forgiveness and pledging to reform. One or two of you may remember me as "rustyroach". When I tried to sign up here, I discovered I had previously signed up as "customline" so I guess that's who I am now. I will answer to either one. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

The main thing is you're back. I like your build styles in the pictures and look forward to seeing more of them. 

Thanks Espo, I got back in to this around 10 years ago or so. I have tried a number of different things but I enjoy the radical mods the most. Especially the cutting and scratch building stuff. Everything is an experiment.  Sometimes they don't turn out so great but it's always what's next . 🙂IMG_20211208_111820.jpg.4ffa7b0148b97dec2e74f4b320cda0c1.jpg

Welcome back to this fantastic hobby Jim!   Like you (and many of us...), I have accumulated way too much kit that I will never finish, I hate photo shoots and I love scratch building.  There are a lot of great builders active on this forum, you will certainly find a lot of satisfaction in contributing and checking out the various topics of the hobby group.  By the way, I really like your builds, they are beautiful work! 👍

59 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Welcome back to this fantastic hobby Jim!   Like you (and many of us...), I have accumulated way too much kit that I will never finish, I hate photo shoots and I love scratch building.  There are a lot of great builders active on this forum, you will certainly find a lot of satisfaction in contributing and checking out the various topics of the hobby group.  By the way, I really like your builds, they are beautiful work! 👍

Thank for the compliments, Francis, and the welcome. I hadn't stopped building; I just stopped sharing on the forum ( Scale Auto). I just needed to get back on line with  y'all. Having 3 or 4 projects going concurrently, my focus was beginning to tank. I paint outside like a lot of builders do so I'm at the mercy of the weather. I'll run out of work while waiting to paint so to keep busy I'll start another one. I want to slow down and execute better. There is a lot of good information to be found here and I will put in my 2 cents when I think it will help. I see a lot of handles I remember from the SA forum. It's good to see them all again. There is some incredibly good craftsmanship and know-how here, we're in agreement on that! Thanks again.