Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the odds Revell will reissue their 1999 Silverado kit?

Jonathan

12 hours ago, steveracer said:

Never understood why it was never updated for a few more years.  I owned the best truck ever. 1999 GMC Sierra.  Awesome vehicle. 

Didn't sell well enough to justify more expense for a negative ROI.

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Would love to pickup a copy ... 

Looks like they're selling on eBay for $30-$40 or so,  not much more than a reissue would cost. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Boy I’d like to see that, but they usually go for 60-70 on ebay.

I saw more than a few which sold for $30-$40 under the Completed listings, but there are some which sold for more money. Two factory sealed for $35 and $40:

image.png.edfc7ef8701af6e2ce542fe9813e1eda.png.c02ab889a92e0bb20365bf5f4e70b91a.png

Now I have to keep my eyes peeled...

42 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

With shipping that’s about $52 and $47, but still cheaper than what I’ve usually seen them go for on ebay. I got a sealed one last year for $50 +$15 shipping and was thinking I got a good deal compared to other listings.

Good to know. There are always kits like this which creep up in value, but if you're actively looking for one, best to keep that info on the down-low. 🤐😁

As to when this will see a Re-Issue?

My vote is squarely on "Never". Revell does not appear to to even know what kits they have in their tool bank anymore. So, my first pass answer, remains, "Never Again".  If you want one, buy one. Do not wait. This advice applies to almost any Revell kit that is not in their current catalog. If you want a certain Revell kit, buy one now, and don't wait for Revell to re-issue it. Will Revell keep re-issuing older kits? Of course they will. But, Ed Sexton and the other "true Believers" appear to have less 'pull' with the Mothership about what kits get chosen to re-issue. So, I expect that the scattershot, "throw it against the wall, and see if it sticks" release schedule to continue.

This makes me sad, but this is what I see. A few well chosen Modified New Release kits, and odd forays into the tooling that is still held by R/M. I hope I am proven wrong.

• 1 month later...

Original issue from 1999, kit #85-7646?:

Revell99Silverado857646.jpg.b261d1fee390fea86710a5cf05cc2f4e.jpg

The custom only Custom Silverado and Waverider Boat, kit #85-7666, also from 1999:

Revell99CustSilv867666.jpg.3a82e23d5ed0077d2f93e76882e35907.jpg

Performance? 😳🤔

2006 re-sissue:

Revell99Silv2006issue.jpg.a424855192fdd0ef4d654203c5646ec5.jpg

Looks like Revell also re-issued the stock version in 2006 under the "Trucks" sub-brand, as kit #85-7205:

Revell99silvtrucks.jpg.4d9420e571c9cf9a219f0792949caf00.jpg

2009 re-issue, #85-7200:

Rev99Silv.jpg.39443d35cd2458fa3ed6bfd789ff77cb.jpg

What is missing from the above custom version which prohibits building the truck stock?

Edited by Casey

Kit 85-7200 is basically the custom version from the Waverider combo with the stock front bumper and grille instead of the Thom Taylor custom set up. Quite far from stock actually, because the original custom kit was a surprisingly elaborate conversion  

I believe the stock version was also issued with licensing for some professional fisherman (yeah, I didn’t know that was a thing either), and I’m pretty sure it was an Amigo Kit with a matching 1/64-scale diecast Silverado. 

13 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

I believe the stock version was also issued with licensing for some professional fisherman (yeah, I didn’t know that was a thing either), and I’m pretty sure it was an Amigo Kit with a matching 1/64-scale diecast Silverado. 

Looks like it was issued in 2002 during the Revell-Monogram days:

REvellSilvAmigo.jpg.de1e4ed4421d87f1d7f9f5d851029768.jpg

• Like 1

I've said it before, but I am certainly surprised that there has not yet been a full detail kit of the current F-150. It is one of the most popular vehicles in the US, and there are so many versions they could make out of one initial tooling. I have seen a good amount of the snap kit F-150 Raptor kits built already, and so I honestly think a full detail kit would be a big hit, especially since the older crowd would be more likely to have a newer F-150 that they would want to make a model of.

As for the Silverado kit, I would like them to re-release the stock kit as well. It also seems like it wouldn't be too much work for them to modify it as a GMC for further sales. At minimum, it would just be the grille/bumper piece, front end lights, wheels, and decals.

Edited by Jordan White
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steveracer said:

Real question here,,,,why don't people want to model newer years of American full size pickups?

There are many of us who would build modern trucks but the kit makers either don't make them or when they do they make the wrong version. Truck kits need a 4x4 option and a single cab/long bed version for light commercial builders. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Truck kits need a 4x4 option and a single cab/long bed version for light commercial builders. 

That's where I think you are way off. Other than construction companies, nobody buys a single cab pickup, much less a long bed. Short beds have much more appeal.

I think if people want a 1/25 scale version, they tend to learn toward what they have in their driveway, so extended and double cab trucks. Considering the different frames, interiors, and bed lengths which would be necessary for standard, extended, and double cab versions, you can see why it's a major investment for any model company.

Really, Revell would be wise to just reissue this kit as it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's where I think you are way off. Other than construction companies, nobody buys a single cab pickup, much less a long bed. Short beds have much more appeal.

I think if people want a 1/25 scale version, they tend to learn toward what they have in their driveway, so extended and double cab trucks. Considering the different frames, interiors, and bed lengths which would be necessary for standard, extended, and double cab versions, you can see why it's a major investment for any model company.

Really, Revell would be wise to just reissue this kit as it is.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Moebius method of tooling many variations and being able to mix and match different releases.