Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 2/13/2022 at 1:58 AM, chris chabre said:

cant wait to see what you do with the Comet.Hopefully you can find a grille assembly.

Will be awhile before I work on the Comet, have to wait until USPS decide to ship to Australia again. Then I will receive a grill from Moebius.

22 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It reminds me I must get and build one of my C110s.

Yeah you should, always enjoying seeing your Nissan builds.

After getting the stance set up decided to do a bit more work on this kit. I really like the 80 Skyline, such a cool shape and style.

And the kit is one of my favourites, lot of fun to build and customize.

RrydI49.jpg

The wheels were in the kit. But this is what they are.

OmV3DuW.jpg

Modified the bumpers.

8zLBYS4.jpg

Straight oob they stick out a lot.

211%20complete%20e.jpg

Filled in the number plate surround on the tail light panel.

l2mFhDB.jpg

Modified the front and fitted a Laurel headlights and grill, just checking the idea out for now.

WDUb1Dc.jpg

9oiJsVT.jpg

hiCTxsD.jpg

Here is a couple I built previously.

• Like 2

Great work on the bumpers, looks much better. Grille looks good in there too, haven't seen the C130 set-up in one of these.

In theory at 1:1 I think the entire front end from a C230 Laurel could be swapped onto a C210/211 Skyline, the inner wings are similar. What it would look like I'm not sure, and I don't know if I want to cut up a couple of kits to find out.....

• 1 month later...

Got this kit back out and worked on setting the stance.

g7w0oD5.jpg

Oob ride height and kit supplied wheels.  Yeah nah, not going to be riding that high.

277CQsj.jpg

Put on the wheels I want to use and worked out it needed to be lowered about 10mm.

4ZeoB3k.jpg

After alot of messing about, got the stance roughed in to where im happy with it. Could have slammed it and went curbside, but I want to have an engine. So had to settle with how it sits, which is way better than stock oob ride height.

kFEpXxN.jpg

JPGxCdw.jpg

RMedjIB.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cool Hand said:

Cool and my favourite colour. Thanks for sharing. So the 1:1 does stance up high too, its not just oob kit stance.  

My car is lowered about an inch from factory, the angle of the photo is deceiving as well

The bottom of the rocker sits about mid wheel stock.

• Thanks 1

Oh the irony, saying I wasnt liking how high the Mercury was sitting oob.

But Im going to go with oob stance on the Nova Gasser LOL!

Nhx51LG.jpg

Thinking il have to lower it a bit just to say its lowered.

zRMAxas.jpg

Started prep'n parts and applied some 1500 surfacer. What a great kit, Im really liking it so far.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Oh the irony, saying I wasnt liking how high the Mercury was sitting oob.

But Im going to go with oob stance on the Nova Gasser LOL! thinking il have to lower it a bit just to say its lowered.

zRMAxas.jpg

well the 64 and 65 Comets were well known drag cars haha

On 4/5/2022 at 7:21 AM, Cool Hand said:

277CQsj.jpg

JPGxCdw.jpg

This is why I didn't buy this kit. Every one I saw built had the jacked up stance and the wheelbase looked off. If the front wheels were centered, the rear wheels were too far forward. If the rear wheels were centered, the front wheels were too far rearward. Did you adjust the wheelbase on your lowered version?

It's weird how the high version makes the roof look chopped. But, it looks right on your lowered version.     

Edited by Plowboy

Leave the front of the Nova  stock and drop the rear a little for that squatting stance all the trucks are frothing over atm. 

Im serious tho, it’ll be like all the XY’s getting around that are stock in the front and dropped in the rear. 

20 hours ago, Plowboy said:

This is why I didn't buy this kit. Every one I saw built had the jacked up stance and the wheelbase looked off. If the front wheels were centered, the rear wheels were too far forward. If the rear wheels were centered, the front wheels were too far rearward. Did you adjust the wheelbase on your lowered version?

It's weird how the high version makes the roof look chopped. But, it looks right on your lowered version.     

Good observation skills as always Roger.

Yes the kit does have issues concerning the centering of the wheels both front and rear, it got worse after I lowered in the oob suspension locations.

To adjust, the rear was moved foward 3.5mm.  Front was moved foward 2mm. But Im still not happy with the front, 1mm more should be about right im hoping.

Ive had to sacrifice scale accuracy with the suspension components to get it so low. Price to pay when going low, but I will atleast try make it look somewhat functional. Plan is to show a before and after once I get it all dialed in.

I can see what your saying about the roof, perception can be a funny thing sometimes.

• Cool Hand changed the title to Lead City Customs