Model Cars Magazine Forum

15 hours ago, David G. said:

Spectacular work on all of these!

Thank you for taking time to share them with us.

David G.

12 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Great work! Spectacular paint jobs and super clean building. Thanks for taking the time to show us your work. 

11 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I really appreciate your presentations here. Your excellent, clean photos do a lot of talking. 

Thanks David, Erik and Mike. Appreciate your comments very much.

I dont do the Social Media's, so this forum is the only place to share my builds and be inspired amongst like minded people. 

8 hours ago, geemoney said:

slippin the bags over the rod.. SO COOL!

Thanks.

Cant say the idea is my own, seen a couple other builder's use that technique. A lot of what I do, has been learnt from others over the many years of being involved in the hobby.

Edited by Cool Hand

On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, Cool Hand said:

Next up on the bench from the parking lot.

E0cZQ1X.jpg

Have dreaded doing the BMF ever since it was painted, probably why it stalled. But after completing a few builds recently I feel confident to tackle the foil work now ive had a bit of practice. 

wmwlkrj.jpg

vNvbUnx.jpg

I got fed up with BMF, so just use the edge of a Molotow Chrome Pen.

3 hours ago, PatW said:

I got fed up with BMF, so just use the edge of a Molotow Chrome Pen.

All good Pat, Im lucky to still have some of the old New Improved BMF. 1/4 sheet and full sheet.

After the 59 I will have to be very selective where I use it and minimize the off cut waste. The sheets of current batch of BMF is usable just very challenging, so I can understand everyone's frustration with it.

Started the foil work on the 59. Got 2 sheets on the go, New Improved for curves and fine trim. Chrome for straight flat trim

Cant do it all in one session, as I need the daylight coming in through the window to see what im doing.

4hrs just to do trim on the hard lid, front and rear window, roof and top of bed.  

YkHWRIi.jpg

• Like 2

That’s A LOT of foil. The foil looks fantastic sitting on that glass smooth paint. I have just recently started scribing around window trim, it definitely makes foil work a bit easier. I think you have the cleanest and most organized bench I’ve seen mate. 

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

Well last update on the 59 El-Camino, will be glad to see this build completed. I now know why ole mate Ray wasnt pleased when doing final assembly of this kit.

Had some issues with the carbs and kit air filter, thats why the top of carbs looks that way.

ZFIpwdz.jpg

OsKshsX.jpg

Basic interior detailing, Aoshima spare parts steering wheel

G0RLHCe.jpg

The grill in the kit, wow! not good.

q5hGjBc.jpg

Got lucky, spare parts to the rescue. Think this was in a parts box I was given many years ago from an old friend. I assume its from a Revell 59 Impala.

dO1i8R9.jpg

But it was too wide so had to separate the grill. Plan now is to combine the Impala grill with the oob headlight surrounds.

oJVUvvC.jpg

On the home stretch, just need to get the exterior work finished . If all goes well, Under Glass in day or two.

Wrst8tk.jpg

XJMi8th.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

While im waiting on the surfacer to dry/cure on the 50 Ford F-1.

Couldnt help myself, seeing as there is now a few vacancies in the parking lot. Better add some new ones.

0kZavD5.jpg

Main reason being, need to make the most of what is left of the summer weather, so the plan is to get all of these prep'd and painted black while its nice and warm.

Usually do the same each year during the summer season, paint a few bodies and put them aside for winter builds.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

A nice selection there Luke,

Bit of variety. You know me, I like to do something different.

9 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I particularly like the Caprice and Impala

Hard not to build them as Lowriders. 

10 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Amusing artwork for the "wild" version of the latter......

Its a bit funky for sure, here is a laugh for ya. LOL!

wild%20parts%20mock%20up.jpg

12 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

You must have one heck of a box of spare wheels and tyres!

Yeah, I have a lot of after market wheels. Can never have enough shiney shoes.

This is just some of my wire wheel sets. Have more that are in there dedicated kits. My favourite wheels, can you tell.

oJdB9A9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Its a bit funky for sure, here is a laugh for ya. LOL!

wild%20parts%20mock%20up.jpg

Holy Cow! 😮 

Seeing the illustration is one thing, seeing it knocked together is something else entirely.

BTW, you have a better wheel selection than my LHS!

David G.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Holy Cow! 😮 

Seeing the illustration is one thing, seeing it knocked together is something else entirely.

LOL! could also build this version. Think I will stick with my plan of doing a Lowrider style.

0QCInqP.jpg

3 hours ago, David G. said:

BTW, you have a better wheel selection than my LHS!

With the size of the kit stash, aftermarket products, paint and supplies I could open a small hobby shop.

Messing around setting the stance on the 76 Glasshouse. Got it to the roller stage.

One good thing about the old metal axle kits, its super easy to lower the ride height.

Oob stance.

qBUUwFN.jpg

Stock axle locations.

Front

DjAHE7M.jpg

Rear.

doqBj5U.jpg

For the front the new axle hole locations, 2mm above stock for lowered.  2.5mm below stock for raised. New axles made from 2mm brass rod.

cP8zzlV.jpg

Rear. New axle location 3mm above stock to lower.

fCeXc7i.jpg

Y25QGYE.jpg

Looking much better now.

HwDTKHg.jpg

2gJQasw.jpg

j1hORmi.jpg

Raised front.

Nv16ezR.jpg

The inspiration.

gDxuAjl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2