Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Porsche 911 G Coupe problems

gasman

Back 10 years ago or so I was designing plastic components for a company making aftermarket parts for 1:1 cars.  My job, loosely put, was to take existing plastic components, reverse engineer them, see what improvements could be made (and identify if there was a viable market for an upgrade part if we weren't making a straight bolt-on replacement) and then design the part.

I must've seen 50 different times a case where a part would be run out of nice high-quality material (new virgin plastic pellets, no color added or recycled material) and the piece would be fine - and then they'd run the production pieces on a lower quality material or start mixing color into it and it would cause issues.  And I'm pretty sure that's what happened with those E-type bodies too, with the warps and sink marks...they get the part figured out in CAD, cut tooling, make test pieces, adjust...and then somewhere down the line someone comes up with the idea of using colored material or something cheaper and you start seeing weird issues like this.  Sink marks where there weren't any before, parts warping when they come out of the machine, brittle or fragile material etc. etc.

If I was Revell first thing I'd try on these (and the E-types) is ditch the colored plastic and try regular old white.

I'm sure they don't care what I think tho, and I don't claim to be an expert in their processes...just recounting some of my experiences with this stuff... 🤪

• Like 1

Sink marks almost always appear where the plastic abruptly changes thickness, such as where a brace, rib, or bracket appears on the back or underside. That appears to be the case with this 911 body.

It's entirely possible this is mostly unavoidable in this case. Perhaps it was a compromise regarding the locating tabs inside the body? Not an excuse, but, as James said, not everything comes out golden.

I don't think the sink marks shown are in the worst possible location, honestly. While that does not excuse their presence, the drip rail provides a nice guide for a sanding stick, etc. Thanks goodness we have the ways and means to correct the things which don't meet our standards: http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/Primer/primer.htm

I've just had a look at the body shell on the one I have in the stash - same problem.  I think Jim is right about the use of coloured plastic.  I built a test shot of the new Revell E-type coupe and there were no issues at all but when the kit came out moulded in glossy red plastic it was a different story.  I wonder if the Targa version of this kit has the same issue, since the body is moulded in red.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 12:55 PM, CabDriver said:

Back 10 years ago or so I was designing plastic components for a company making aftermarket parts for 1:1 cars.  My job, loosely put, was to take existing plastic components, reverse engineer them, see what improvements could be made (and identify if there was a viable market for an upgrade part if we weren't making a straight bolt-on replacement) and then design the part.

Was it Dorman Products? I heard that's what they do when they recreate parts to replace the junky OEM ones that keep breaking in the same places.