Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2022: AMT White Freightliner

Howdy! This year I hope to complete a build off. I’ve built this kit before, but was not pleased with the results. I forgot how poor the instructions are at times. And the parts aren’t very crisp and have heavy flash. 

BUT, not going to let that stop me. So without further ado…

632FD995-D4FB-4E64-BD8D-0D030E5E60AA.thumb.jpeg.56acdeac205fefd7cbcb95f35897e90a.jpeg

Here is the kit in question. It’s a good challenge. I plan on building the day cab dual drive version. I’ll probably weather the kit but not too heavily. Below I’ll detail what I completed today.

3CB1B752-0820-489A-909E-9B512D7FD47C.thumb.jpeg.1583b69ba190b3732e9000696831dd3a.jpeg

Today I only accomplished getting a portion of the frame cleaned up and assembled. Lots of sanding, test fitting, clamping, and filing just to get to this point. But it’s a straight frame at least! 

Good luck to everyone! I’m excited to see the end results! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Nice start I’ve always liked this kit it always builds good for me without issues. 

Yes, it does build up nicely with a bit of work. This was the first semi kit i ever did when i first started modeling. I'll be watching your conversion project.

15 hours ago, Vettegasser said:

Have one of these started  dual drive day cab. No real issues so far. Be following 

Nice! I'll have to check yours out.

16 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to see your progress in the build off.

55 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Nice to see a few Freightliner Cabovers in the BRBO. Not easy kits, for sure.

Yes I agree, good to see some people tackling these. It will be great to see them all completed.

Only a little bit of progress tonight. Focused on the front end of the truck and squaring up the cab. Also started on the engine a little bit. I need to get some tan paint to match the color this Cummins would have been painted when new. 
8C279283-DEAA-4672-911C-87594513957A.thumb.jpeg.418b39faa17e182dba0675480a71cc2b.jpeg

Kind of frustrated that the rivets do not line up properly. Whatever I guess, it’s a small detail.

611F0B2A-3EAF-461A-913C-199038F87D44.thumb.jpeg.afe65ba41880325ad0750aa7bb0bd8e5.jpeg

I was thinking about doing a single exhaust stack for this build. A nice chrome straight pipe would be cool to me. Does anyone have an idea? The kit exhaust just looks undersized to me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Nice start Jacob I’m currently rebuilding my Frightliner day cab with dual drive. Are you going to shorten the front axle and lower the head lights?

Thanks, Dan. I hadn’t thought about that at all. Is that something that builders typically do to this kit? You’ve piqued my interest. 

• Like 1

Only a little bit of progress tonight. I got the cab puttied and sanded, cab mounts placed, and some small engine parts cleaned up.

D3AACFC2-E3DD-4103-BC0F-C1301AEC1D33.thumb.jpeg.7343e47e8bb3bcd7dc5a1f45e820cb99.jpeg

B706EA82-3F3A-4B61-898A-208B5B17BCE2.thumb.jpeg.472303f5c615752b7cfaa92f99087663.jpeg

I’m waiting for my paint booth and new hobby desk to arrive before I start painting things. I think I’ll paint the semi metallic blue, but not 100% set on that. I’ve enjoyed this build so far. 

I hope everyone’s BRBO is going well so far. Thanks for looking. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, Bills72sj said:

I did one of these not to long ago. Here is a link to the WIP if you are interested.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/147002-white-freightliner-coe-day-cab-dual-drive/?tab=comments#comment-2158654

Thanks for linking your thread! Your truck came out great! I hope mine turns out half as nice. 

12 hours ago, kuhnj said:

Great progress so far! Looking forward to seeing this come along.

Thank you! No real progress since the last update. I need to get the parts in primer. Hopefully on Friday. 

11 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Jacob did you get your new work bench and paint booth yet. 

Hey Dan I did as a matter of fact. Just finished setting it up tonight! I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow and get some primer on the rig.

hobby room.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I need to get back at this one. I want the cab to look great and filling in the seams is a little daunting. I don’t want to lose detail on the rivets, but sanding them off at the seam might be the easiest. I can add them back later with some small styrene round stock. 

• Like 1