Model Cars Magazine Forum

Miller 122 Rear Dr Junior Eight Special

Alrighty then - more pichers -  Evergreen strip for some flanges - the bolts on the chassis are sourced from RB Motion, Master Club, AnyZ, whatever seems to look right - that I’ve got in my stash … the cross brace w the flanges serves as a top mount for the friction shocks …

917671C7-76F0-4F00-A3EF-7E1984245ED9.jpeg

7BD6CADE-5449-4614-8126-4D61AD973FE8.jpeg

73457546-056F-4CFB-9D72-480F7B746914.jpeg

2115F2CE-93E7-42B2-AEA1-FAA55B940651.jpeg

E6396834-47C5-477B-AC3B-6D43DC5C0491.jpeg

52030FAE-394D-4588-87BD-12B4E0C1FEFD.jpeg

This is a very interesting build Andrew. The Millers have very nice lines. Will be following this thread.

Before seeing this, the only Miller kit that I am aware of is an old Auto Kits model I white metal produced over here in the UK. There are possibly others of US origin that I do not know of.

The Miller you are referring to is the 24th scale miller 91 fr Dr produced [still] by sefinecast.co.um.    
curbside - but they were  / are the only craft kit makers I can think of that made Indy kits in 24th scale - on this side of the pond - we’ve always had 25th scale Indy resin kits ….  You might not be familiar with the late Chris Etzell’s excellent 25th scale Indy kits - produced 25 - 30 years ago ….   And some others by Bill Jorgenson and later - Gary Doucette ….  
not to mention current EBay offerings by Pennsylvania resin castor Silvercitymodels … [also very good].  Which is why I apologized at the top of this thread for persisting in creating a 24th sc Indy Miller …

hope this adequately confuses things …

Photo 1  -  the white metal Miller kit has a nice 2 Piece frame ….  The resin kit behind is Harold’s 91 fr Dr Miller -  if my recollection is correct - it was mastered years ago by Etzell but never kitted - Harold may have mastered the detail parts - anyway - it’s first rate ….  
photo 2. -  the Miller 91 fr

dr body compared to my 122 body / frame …

photo 3. -  comparison of Etzell’s great Miller 91 engine Casting with my 122 crankcase and Cyl heads - Etzell’s eng was 25th scale vs my 24th sc eng castings - not much difference … I’ve split and made two separate cyl head castings - so you can see the gap /opening - which is about 3/4 inch scale …

BBA24B56-7881-4132-B916-634711A82DF5.jpeg

3820FF82-005E-44FB-AFE5-92E7E9BF2C4A.jpeg

A0795522-F999-468F-8C4F-1751B0103B50.jpeg

• 1 month later...

The /24th scale Miller 91 in white metal as Andrew mentioned is still available.

A bit of history about this kit is that it was originally made by a company named Auto Kits who way back in the 60's had a shop.in Holborn, London. The Auto Kits range was sold on to Wills Finecast at Forest Row Sussex and was added to the Wills Finecast range who's kits were more detailed than the Auto Kits Range. Wills was bought out and the company carried on from the same Forest Row address under the new name South Eastern Finecast. 

To bring this right up to date, Squires at Bognor Regis in Sussex has bought out South Eastern Finecast fairly recently. Squires are very well known in the UK as suppliers of extensive ranges of model making tools, material and accessories. I would imagine that they will continue to market the car kits under the Finecast and Auto Kits brand names.

South Eastern (ex Wills) also made a range of Traction Engines in 1/32nd scale but are better known for their main focus in the UK, namely things for the model railway enthusiast. Requires will no doubt be marketing all those other ranges too.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Very helpful …

maybe this explains why the Bugatti 59 kit had excellent detail while the Miller and others were curbside …. With the ready availablity of printed wire wheels now - any of their kits can be built and will look great …. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, absmiami said:

Over the years I’ve photographed a number of 91s and 122s. The first shot shows how the front of the shock attaches to the frame - the second photo shows the shock mount that holds the trailing end of the front leaf spring …. Going here next

6761A778-F74A-4684-A803-EBF00ACBD5A8.jpeg

A881F32D-A01E-46DB-BBCF-83C3BDC8B7DA.jpeg

The spring mount bracket shown here is a study in art deco streamline design. This might just as easily have been a square-ish and uninspired piece of steel but instead it is a beautifully crafted integral component part worthy of being shown here. Thanks for posting it.

The Wills Finecast range are more detailed kits than the Auto Kits.

I have the Finecast Type 59 Bugatti to bui!d and plan to obtain a set of Le Mans Miniatures photo etched wire wheels for it. Also in my stash is an Auto Kits MG TD kit that is a kerb side model.

However, both ranges carry some subject matter not done by any one else in 1/24th scale.

Andrew mentioned about the tyres in his Auto Kits Miller reacting with the expanded polystyrene packaging.

Model kit tyres  made with vinyl has a chemical reaction to polystyrene plastic. I found out the hard way when I had a kit that was stashed away for years. Upon opening it I found that the vinyl tyres that were against any of the kit parts had sort of moulded themselves into the plastic. Both tyres and parts were ruined as a result. I always now ensure that tyres  are bagged or wrapped in tissue to separate them within the box before storing. Not sure if real rubber would react in the same way, but err on the side of caution .

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been sawing away on a 98 year old Delage grand prix car on the neighboring Model Cars thread …. The moderators have been asked to slide that thead over here - but they seem to be - er - asleep at the wheel ….  Ill do some work on this engine once ive made some more progress on said Delage ... 

Pascal - i know exactly

which Miller that you have from “Harold’s model factory”. 
As ive got two of those -  Important note - the Bradford fr dr 91 duplicates the Series I 91 and not the Series II cars - the ones that carried the suoercharger at the back of The cylinder head - post me here if you want more info - or if you would like to do a tandem build thread …