Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Shelby Cannonballer aka "FIREFOX"

USMC_LB

I am starting this thread to provide updates on my entry in the 2022 Cannonball.   I will be using the AMT 67 GT-350 kit.  I know this kit has known issues.  If anyone can offer any tips or point me to the proper threads to deal with known issues I would appreciate it.  

The build will be based on my childhood dream car I read about in a magazine when i was in my teens.  A metallic Nightmist Blue '67 Shelby GT 500 owned by a mysterious man, only referred to in the article as RPM (later I found out it is his real initials!), that built the car up specifically for Cannonball. 

It was adorned with adjustable aircraft landing lights, radar absorption materials under the body panels, dual radar detectors and a radar "communicator" that would cause the Troopers radar to read "55 mph" no matter what speed the Shelby was actually travelling.  The carbs could be electronically controlled, there was a switch that could turn all the lights out at once, even the brake lights.  The driver would have to wear night vision goggles to drive blacked out.  Everything was electronically monitored, fuel temps at the carbs, transmission temps, oil pressure, oil temps, rear end temps, etc.  The range of the vehicle was extended by replacing the backseat with a 42 gallon tank to complement the stock 15 gallon tank.

The article refers to it as "FIREFOX" but I am going to christen my creation "SSS" aka "Super Secret Snake" for its ability to avoid detection and allude the authorites.

I will post excerpts from the article when I can.  Below is a montage of pictures I created and also a picture of the car at the finish line parking lot after a Cannonball event.  It was one of the few that made it all the way without getting pulled over.

firefox poster.jpg

presenta03.jpg

Portofino 001.JPG

67 Shelby model kit.jpg

• Like 3

Very cool. I remember that magazine article well, and as a teenager it had a big impact on me as well. I read it over many times, trying to rationalise all of those crazy mods. At that time in my life, it struck me as just about the coolest car ever. In fact, as recently as a few months ago, I was driving at night and an oncoming driver didn't dim his lights, and I muttered to myself, "I wish I had those Shelby landing lights now."

Anyway, Interested to watch your project come together.

• Like 2

Not sure which drivetrain you will use.  Revell did a 67 GT500 diecast/kit similar to the Bullit Mustang mold.  It has the big block engine and may go into the AMT chassis easily.  The dark blue version did not require any assembly and included a Shelby figure.  Keith Marks has decals for the 67 GT500.  Here’s the engine I stuffed into the 67 Shelby GT350 chassis and Eleanor transkit.  I’ll be following your build.

49DC09AA-61C1-468E-B935-6C202E0F4E66.jpeg

9FA90A39-2B25-4B14-815B-28F24703F46C.jpeg

61008271-128E-438D-B28C-F3FCE5698C9F.jpeg

CF192896-830B-4514-981A-F6D2B577EDAF.jpeg

FE6AC54E-A256-477C-ACF1-834378A27644.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

I haven't built the '67 Shelby kit per se but I am currently building (2) of the chassis under '66 Mustangs.  Outside of the high stance of the nose (not difficult to correct),  I haven't found any issues.  My projects are here:

Edited by afx

Don't forget, the GT500 is the big block car (428). The kit is a GT350, small block engine (289).

Like AFX said, you'll have to use the engine from a donor kit. There are quite a few good choices. You may even find a few parts to scavenge from AMTs 68 GT500. Like the homemade gauge cluster and the wheels.

Looks like a great subject to build. It's a good looking car!

hi there! my brother and i had a subscription to popular hot rodding in the early 80's.

i remember that article and the car. the movie the gumball rally was a great inspiration too.

and later the cannoball run with burt reynolds and crew.  make us proud and build it!

• Like 1

My late brother and I also had a subscription to that magazine then and I remember that article.  I’ve always been interested in the Cannonball Run, similar events, and the people and cars involved.  I have an MPC ‘74 Challenger I want to build to resemble Brock Yates’ car.