Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

Thanks for the feedback SteveG. It's important that there are budget constraints for a project. It's just a reality.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:01 PM, SteveG said:

You could probably use just the center carb and the air cleaner from the AMT 53 Ford Pickup on the existing intake and it would be passable.  The real trick is the exhaust manifolds which uses a front engine crossover.  I thought pretty hard about re-doing the engine to make an accurate 292 V8 for it but the more I looked at it the more I realized I would probably have to start from scratch on the engine and then revise the chassis to single exhaust, etc.  Just not in the budget to do all that on top all the other improvements.   

-Steve

On 10/16/2023 at 2:27 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

SteveG, any chance we could get a stock air cleaner/single carb in the '60?

Anyone else know of a source for one?

Revell's ancient opening-doors 56 F100 is a great source for a pretty accurate stock truck-style Y-Block. You could probably just use the whole top end on the AMT block, heads, manifolds, etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

That crossover pipe w/ the exhaust manifolds is unusual. Wonder why it was routed like that. 

Space constraints.

IIRC, there's a steering box on the driver's side that precludes running the LH pipe down in back, and doing an underside crossover.

Also IIRC, '55-'56 Ford passenger cars had the same crossover.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Here is the instruction page from the Fotki Drastic Plastics page for the Y-block found in Revell's 56 F100. The air cleaner does need some work, and there's no exhaust crossover, but it has the truck exhaust manifolds on it, albeit with the crossover spigots "shaved off" .  Carburetor is supposed to be a Autolite 2100.  This engine would be correct as a parts donor for the upcoming 63 F100 as well. Y-blocks were used in light trucks through 1964 

Revell 56 F100 Y-block.jpg

aircleaner.jpg

Truck manifolds.JPG

Edited by garagepunk66
more pictures
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, Sledsel said:

That sucks that it wasn't in the budget, but that's what my parts stash is for. I'd rather source an engine than deal with single exhaust.....LOL

Plus might that of delayed the release longer? I would rather have it here sooner and if / when these sell like hot cakes maybe they will consider down the road?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Here is the instruction page from the Fotki Drastic Plastics page for the Y-block found in Revell's 56 F100. The air cleaner does need some work, and there's no exhaust crossover, but it has the truck exhaust manifolds on it, albeit with the crossover spigots "shaved off" .  Carburetor is supposed to be a Autolite 2100.  This engine would be correct as a parts donor for the upcoming 63 F100 as well. Y-blocks were used in light trucks through 1964 

Revell 56 F100 Y-block.jpg

aircleaner.jpg

Truck manifolds.JPG

The red stock version of the Revell kit (think it was #7602) from the late 90s had the crossover. The Roth version might have it too. Can't remember for sure, but there might be a few other engine pieces that aren't in the earlier versions of the kit.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, dino246gt said:

I know that the Starliner engine is not correct.

I changed the oil pan and transmission though, parts from Fireball.

Maybe the '57 Ford from Revell would have a better engine choice?

IMG_5725re.JPG

IMG_5728re.JPG

The old Revell 56 F100, that I posted the instruction sheet page for, has the closest thing to a stock "truck" Y-block, typical from 1954-1964. The engine builds up quite nice, and looks the part. As I said before, you could probably just hit the "easy button" and do a "top end swap" to use the very nice heads, manifolds, and intake on the AMT block, using the AMT "FORD" block-letter valve covers. That kit comes with two engines, a Pontiac and the Y-block, so robbing the parts would not preclude someone from building the kit. 

The AMT '57 Ford Fairlane and the newer Revell 57 Ford kits also have Y-blocks. The Y-block in the Revell 57 is pretty exceptional, but it is in "passenger car" trim. 

Just for everyone's future reference, the FE engine family (332, 352, 390, 406, 410, 427 & 428), is unrelated to the Ford Y-block family (239, 256, 272, 292 & 312). The even exhaust port spacing and the intake manifold that forms the upper part of the valve cover rail of the FE engine is a dead giveaway.

The FE was first produced in 1958, and was not installed in light trucks until 1965

Y-blocks have the two center exhaust ports grouped together like a small block Chevy engine, and have an "air gap" style intake manifold where there is actual space between the manifold and a steel valley cover below that seals the top of the block. 

FE engines also have the distributor in front, whereas the Y-block has a rear mounted distributor that tilts to the right around 30 degrees

I hope this helps some people. 

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

The red stock version of the Revell kit (think it was #7602) from the late 90s had the crossover. The Roth version might have it too. Can't remember for sure, but there might be a few other engine pieces that aren't in the earlier versions of the kit.

That could very well be, but apparently Revell no longer knows the actual function of the parts, as the picture I posted is from the Roth kit instructions.   

10 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

That could very well be, but apparently Revell no longer knows the actual function of the parts...

Kindof a lot of that around...

For example, I've read real-car forum posts insisting that the front exhaust crossover pipe was intended to supply "carburettor heat" to assist with warm-up and cold weather drivability...completely ignoring the fact that the manifold has a heat-riser hot spot that performs that function, just like everything else of the period.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

Right, the newer stock version of the Revell '56 F 100 has more accurate valve covers and nice stock wheels. I used that engine in my '60 F 350 conversion, but added an IMC Dodge L 700 air cleaner.

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kindof a lot of that around...

For example, I've read real-car forum posts insisting that the front exhaust crossover pipe was intended to supply "carburettor heat" to assist with warm-up and cold weather drivability...completely ignoring the fact that the manifold has a heat-riser hot spot that performs that function, just like everything else of the period.

At least in the case of the trucks, it's because a rear exiting left hand exhaust manifold would dump straight into the steering box. That's why the rare ram horn manifolds (from Y block powered C Series cabover trucks) are a popular swap for guys who want duals.

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

At least in the case of the trucks, it's because a rear exiting left hand exhaust manifold would dump straight into the steering box. That's why the rare ram horn manifolds (from Y block powered C Series cabover trucks) are a popular swap for guys who want duals.

Yes, I mentioned that.  :D

On 10/20/2023 at 12:20 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Space constraints.

IIRC, there's a steering box on the driver's side that precludes running the LH pipe down in back, and doing an underside crossover.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:18 PM, Dave Darby said:

That's why the rare ram horn manifolds (from Y block powered C Series cabover trucks) are a popular swap for guys who want duals.

Vintage photo of those ram horns on a late 50's C series Y block.

IMG_2898.JPG

DE6626ZC.jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I hadn't read the whole thread when I posted. 😁

Your observation about the ram's horn manifolds was a good one though.

I'd forgotten them entirely, and that's something good to know if you're using a Y-block in anything.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 10/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Space constraints.

I don't recall the AMT '56 Ford Crown Vic having a crossover; was its dual exhaust setup incorrect?

Sounds like the ram's horn manifolds as well as the crossover setup might be a good aftermarket possibility for the 3D folks or resin casters.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 4:26 AM, garagepunk66 said:

That could very well be, but apparently Revell no longer knows the actual function of the parts, as the picture I posted is from the Roth kit instructions.   

Sadly I don't see evidence of the crossover and correct exhaust manifolds in my Roth version of the kit.

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I don't recall the AMT '56 Ford Crown Vic having a crossover; was its dual exhaust setup incorrect?

Sounds like the ram's horn manifolds as well as the crossover setup might be a good aftermarket possibility for the 3D folks or resin casters.

I based the statement on the fact that the same crossover-pipe part # (B5A-5267-B) that fits the pickups mentioned above is also listed as fitting "1955-'56 passenger cars with 272 and 292 V8 engines and single exhaust".

A quick internet search failed to bring up any photo, however.

EDIT: Found one. '56 Custom V8 272 2bbl single exhaust:

1956 FORD CUSTOM V8 272 2-BARREL SINGLE EXHAUST | Trucks for sale, Classic  cars, Ford fairlane 500

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Roth version of the '56 pickup definitely does not include the single exhaust parts.  It's strange in that Revell took the trouble to put the stock wheels in, but chose to include the engine and exhaust parts from the street machine version.  That one was more like the original issue, not 100% stock but "near stock" with reversed wheels, dual exhaust, and a T-Bird intake setup.  Roth bought his '56 pickup brand new and didn’t own it very long, he never messed with it other than the paint work and tonneau cover.

The only issue of the Revell '56 pickup with the single exhaust parts will be the 100% stock one that was molded in red.

• Like 1