Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

On 12/19/2023 at 5:53 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

The Revell 56 ford bed would look good on that pick up.

Even better would be the 8' Flareside (stepside) offered by Fireball, since the photo is a F 250.  The width of the bed and tailgate is actually larger than the regular 6' F 100 bed. The 17" 8 lug wheel and tire combo would be a cool aftermarket item.  Hint.

Edited by leafsprings

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Forgot about the deluge unit, thanks. The Revell 56 ford bed would look good on that pick up.

greg

The AMT 53 bed and fenders might be even better. I think the AMT fenders are more accurate.

12 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

The AMT 53 bed and fenders might be even better. I think the AMT fenders are more accurate.

It would be pretty neat if Moebius could be convinced to release a kit containing both the wrecker and utility beds with H/D wheels and axels.

Anyone here who has a direct line to them or Dave Burket?

Cheers

Luc

38 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

It would be pretty neat if Moebius could be convinced to release a kit containing both the wrecker and utility beds with H/D wheels and axels.

Anyone here who has a direct line to them or Dave Burket?

Cheers

Luc

The wrecker bed is for the dual rear wheel setup, the utility bed is for single rear wheel set up. There was rumors/images of a possible dump bed version after the wrecker kit was released, which would utilize the dual rear wheel set up. I have a Modelhaus resin utility body that is designed to be used on a rear dual wheel chassis.

Something to consider is that the chassis under the 1960 F100 is the same as that under the '53 and '56 Ford F100.  Dropping the 1960 cab and interior on  a '53 or '56 chassis with the Flareside body from one of those kits would be pretty simple and more detailed that the one piece 1960 F100 chassis.  I did that with a Modelhaus '57 Ford conversion (based off the 1960 cab) and it worked perfectly.

A.J.

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The wrecker bed is for the dual rear wheel setup, the utility bed is for single rear wheel set up. There was rumors/images of a possible dump bed version after the wrecker kit was released, which would utilize the dual rear wheel set up. I have a Modelhaus resin utility body that is designed to be used on a rear dual wheel chassis.

I know, that's why I mentioned including wheels and axels.

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I know, that's why I mentioned including wheels and axels.

That would all be dependent on how the tooling was designed to fit the mold machine.  Some stuff is designed to be run on smaller machines and can be individually produced like the dually wheel sets which Moebius via Pegasus sells separately (along with the plow, and the gun rack).  Some stuff is designed to be modularly plugged into the larger tooling that spits out the whole truck and can't be run without producing an entire Ford.  Maybe at some point they could consider doing some over-runs, but with the wrecker bed and it's axles - I'd presume you'd want the front axle and the shorter (than the wedge hauler) differential set up, and you'd get the PTO parts too whether you want it or not - you'd have to wait until after that whole kit has actually been released and sold for a while.  Otherwise, I suspect they'd do a brisk business in axles, wheels, and wrecker beds and have several thousand relatively unsaleable model kits as a result. 

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That would all be dependent on how the tooling was designed to fit the mold machine.  Some stuff is designed to be run on smaller machines and can be individually produced like the dually wheel sets which Moebius via Pegasus sells separately (along with the plow, and the gun rack).  Some stuff is designed to be modularly plugged into the larger tooling that spits out the whole truck and can't be run without producing an entire Ford.  Maybe at some point they could consider doing some over-runs, but with the wrecker bed and it's axles - I'd presume you'd want the front axle and the shorter (than the wedge hauler) differential set up, and you'd get the PTO parts too whether you want it or not - you'd have to wait until after that whole kit has actually been released and sold for a while.  Otherwise, I suspect they'd do a brisk business in axles, wheels, and wrecker beds and have several thousand relatively unsaleable model kits as a result. 

That's Indeed something we don't know, and something I'm sure they will take into account if they consider or research feasibllity of the idea.

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

That's Indeed something we don't know, and something I'm sure they will take into account if they consider or research feasibllity of the idea.

I'm sure it would be feasible for the right price. But I'm just saying a whole slew of people have a small pile of the Ford kits sitting unbuilt and if they sold the parts to the wrecker ahead of the kit itself - a lot of people would side step a $45 model kit for $25 worth of "parts".

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'm sure it would be feasible for the right price. But I'm just saying a whole slew of people have a small pile of the Ford kits sitting unbuilt and if they sold the parts to the wrecker ahead of the kit itself - a lot of people would side step a $45 model kit for $25 worth of "parts".

On the other hand tho, Round-2 and Revell past and present have  whole slew of pickup truck kits, which many of us have sitting in (or on order for) the stash wondering what to do with it, and that's what sparked my idea 😉

Edited by Luc Janssens

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

On the other hand tho, Round-2 and Revell past and present have  whole slew of pickup truck kits, which many of us have sitting in (or on order for) the stash wondering what to do with it, and that's what sparked my idea 😉

IIRC, Moebius decided to sell the plow set up separately after the plow kit had been out for awhile. I know some folks bought the pickup and plow kit for the chassis and not plow as I have done some trading with them. Additionally, the Revell GMC pickup and plow kit saw the same thing- some were after the truck, some were after the plow.

To your point, the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed has been slapped behind a few different cabs. Maybe if the Moebius wrecker does well Revell might either reissue the Midnite Cowboy kit or cobble up a kit using it and a different cab? As much as I would like to see Moebius sell the wrecker separately, I don't think that would happen.

10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

IIRC, Moebius decided to sell the plow set up separately after the plow kit had been out for awhile. I know some folks bought the pickup and plow kit for the chassis and not plow as I have done some trading with them. Additionally, the Revell GMC pickup and plow kit saw the same thing- some were after the truck, some were after the plow.

To your point, the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed has been slapped behind a few different cabs. Maybe if the Moebius wrecker does well Revell might either reissue the Midnite Cowboy kit or cobble up a kit using it and a different cab? As much as I would like to see Moebius sell the wrecker separately, I don't think that would happen.

The problem with the Revell wrecker body is that it's made to fit a short WB truck, where the RR axle on a real tow truck is much farther back, and then I'm not talking about the custom wheel set-up.

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The problem with the Revell wrecker body is that it's made to fit a short WB truck, where the RR axle on a real tow truck is much farther back, and then I'm not talking about the custom wheel set-up.

To say nothing about the fact it's a below mediocre detail part out of a SnapTitie kit made in 1978. 

There's no planet in this galaxy where regurgitating part of a 46 year old kid's toy should be a viable anything except a firing of the person who made the decision.

• Haha 1

FWIW, Holmes did offer tow units for 1/2-ton through 1-ton truck chassis, the model 220.  The boom resembles the Midnite Cowboy unit.  According to a Bring A Trailer post, there was even a 220 mounted on an '81 Toyota N30.

What is the wheelbase on the Midnite Cowboy?

Edited by Brian Austin