Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

18 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

FWIW, Holmes did offer tow units for 1/2-ton through 1-ton truck chassis, the model 220.  The boom resembles the Midnite Cowboy unit.  According to a Bring A Trailer post, there was even a 220 mounted on an '81 Toyota N30.

What is the wheelbase on the Midnite Cowboy?

Looks like they just used the frame from the short stepside; aka Billy's truck.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:09 PM, RSchnell said:

Any word when the '60 Ford pickup is getting released? /s

I keep looking on Modelroundup page and I see the touch tone terror has arrived and maybe the demon but the 60 and 62 still doesn’t has not arrived..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, slusher said:

I keep looking on Modelroundup page and I see the touch tone terror has arrived and maybe the demon but the 60 and 62 still doesn’t has not arrived..

Thanks for the update. I will likely pre-order a couple as I suspect they may sell out in the first run.

On 10/31/2023 at 7:48 PM, Mark said:

The Roth version of the '56 pickup definitely does not include the single exhaust parts.  It's strange in that Revell took the trouble to put the stock wheels in, but chose to include the engine and exhaust parts from the street machine version.  That one was more like the original issue, not 100% stock but "near stock" with reversed wheels, dual exhaust, and a T-Bird intake setup.  Roth bought his '56 pickup brand new and didn’t own it very long, he never messed with it other than the paint work and tonneau cover.

The only issue of the Revell '56 pickup with the single exhaust parts will be the 100% stock one that was molded in red.

Anybody out there that could take a pic of the exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe from this kit? Or better yet, anyone willing to part with them? 

Has to be this edition as the crossover exhaust is not in any other release of this kit

image.png.4afd61cc97ff0b53b10beed6c5d158b0.png

Thanks for posting the detailed photos . Appears to be a much better kit than the original. Great box art too. Hopefully the '63 F 100 will get the same type of 3/4 front view box art treatment too.

Edited by leafsprings

Very interesting; thx for the preview Marcos.  Based on the '63 F100 kit I saw a few days ago, one of the chrome trees (the one with the slot mags), the two trees in the image with the open wheels and backing plates, and the tree with the engine block halves appear to be identical and shared between the '60 and '63 kits.  The chassis plate also appears the same or close to the same, other than the half-arc cutouts in the outer side rails.  The remainder of the overall parts layout also appears similar in philosophy (but not the actual parts) between the two kits.  TB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Very interesting; thx for the preview Marcos.  Based on the '63 F100 kit I saw a few days ago, one of the chrome trees (the one with the slot mags), the two trees in the image with the open wheels and backing plates, and the tree with the engine block halves appear to be identical and shared between the '60 and '63 kits.  The chassis plate also appears the same or close to the same, other than the half-arc cutouts in the outer side rails.  The remainder of the overall parts layout also appears similar in philosophy (but not the actual parts) between the two kits.  TB

You are welcome Tim, personally, I thought I would see a new tool such as the recent new releases of the Charger and Bronco kits but I still find it to be pretty interesting…..

12 hours ago, cruz said:

never saw the original so please feel free to comment on all the differences you find

Besides the obvious main difference of the new 2 piece cab and bed, the grill and bumper are also 2 piece with new gravel shield behind grille added. More subtle differences I see are the hood no longer has a big gapping whole for the hood side emblems, the area under the tailgate has the correct license plate opening and seat is now a separate piece.

23 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Thanks for posting the detailed photos . Appears to be a much better kit than the original. Great box art too. Hopefully the '63 F 100 will get the same type of 3/4 front view box art treatment too.

'63 has a rear 3/4 profile showing off the camper shell.

22 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Both kits share a majority of parts besides the body/interior/trim pieces and the "bonus" (trailer vs. camper shell). That's why they're being released at the same time, and ultimately what made the project feasible since it's basically 2 kits for the price of 1.5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Both kits share a majority of parts besides the body/interior/trim pieces and the "bonus" (trailer vs. camper shell). That's why they're being released at the same time, and ultimately what made the project feasible since it's basically 2 kits for the price of 1.5.

Just to support James' comment, I also understood from Round 2 that the commonality of the two projects was a key enabler to the project going forward.    

I also do want to emphasize that the listing of shared parts in my earlier post is, I believe, just about complete or very close to it.  The only other shared parts not mentioned above appear to be the rearview mirrors, the small diameter air cleaner, and possibly (but not certain) the front and rear pumpers.  These latter parts are on different chrome trees, but appear to be designed based on the same data set.   Likewise, the engine block and cylinder heads/intake, fan belt, fan, radiator, battery, firewall insert, and steering wheel also are on separate parts trees but appear to be based on a common design.  Other than the parts trees listed in my note above and those listed here, it appears to me that all other parts in the two kits are different. 

Both kits do appear to share a common approach in terms of overall design and assembly, but the parts in my lists above appear to be the only ones that are identical in both cases.  Won't be long now until we know the actual truth rather than just (hopefully informed) speculation (on my part and others as well). 

TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Just to support James' comment, I also understood from Round 2 that the commonality of the two projects was a key enabler to the project going forward.    

I also do want to emphasize that the listing of shared parts in my earlier post is, I believe, just about complete or very close to it.  The only other shared parts not mentioned above appear to be the rearview mirrors, the small diameter air cleaner, and possibly (but not certain) the front and rear pumpers.  These latter parts are on different chrome trees, but appear to be designed based on the same data set.   Likewise, the engine block and cylinder heads/intake, fan belt, fan, radiator, battery, firewall insert, and steering wheel also are on separate parts trees but appear to be based on a common design.  Other than the parts trees listed in my note above and those listed here, it appears to me that all other parts in the two kits are different. 

Both kits do appear to share a common approach in terms of overall design and assembly, but the parts in my lists above appear to be the only ones that are identical in both cases.  Won't be long now until we know the actual truth rather than just (hopefully informed) speculation (on my part and others as well). 

TB 

If you look at the chassis plate & subsequent "side tree" that's molded to it, you'll notice on the '60 the side tree is on the right, and on the '63 it's on the left, with what appears to be the same chassis pan in between them.  That would almost certainly be one singular tooling insert that has a gate function attached at the bottom to "throw" the plastic one way or the other depending one which kit you're running at the time.  I suspect a great many other things are designed in a similar fashion so that in reality both of these kits are modular inserts that plug into the same overall larger tooling schematic.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you look at the chassis plate & subsequent "side tree" that's molded to it, you'll notice on the '60 the side tree is on the right, and on the '63 it's on the left, with what appears to be the same chassis pan in between them.  That would almost certainly be one singular tooling insert that has a gate function attached at the bottom to "throw" the plastic one way or the other depending one which kit you're running at the time.  I suspect a great many other things are designed in a similar fashion so that in reality both of these kits are modular inserts that plug into the same overall larger tooling schematic.

I am expecting that you are exactly correct on this....it is very interesting to me, though, that they ran and shipped both kits at the same time...maybe one continuous run at the plant with the gate function shift you describe at the middle of the cycle?   TB 

22 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

'63 has a rear 3/4 profile showing off the camper shell.

It took a few minutes to figure out what I was looking at seeing the "camper" box art for the first time. IMO, the rear view is a dangerous marketing idea emphasizing the camper shell instead of the pickup. Hope the kats at AMT know what they're doing. Completely different selling approach compared to the '60 box art, which emphasizes the pickup, not the trailer. Don't think the "camper" is what people are looking for. We will see.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:42 PM, cruz said:

Guys, I never saw the original so please feel free to comment on all the differences you find, it will help me with the review…..

Marcos, are you reviewing for ModelCarMagazine?

15 hours ago, leafsprings said:

It took a few minutes to figure out what I was looking at seeing the "camper" box art for the first time. IMO, the rear view is a dangerous marketing idea emphasizing the camper shell instead of the pickup. Hope the kats at AMT know what they're doing. Completely different selling approach compared to the '60 box art, which emphasizes the pickup, not the trailer. Don't think the "camper" is what people are looking for. We will see.

Most hobby shops I go into have the end panel showing, as they stack on the shelf better. So maybe the end panel has a better view. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:04 PM, tim boyd said:

Tim you are correct, the parts trees you noted above plus the tires are shared between both trucks, AMT1407 '60 Ford and AMT1412 '63 F-100.  During my initial research while developing these kits in became clear that after the original AMT/SMP '60 F-100 kit was run, AMT reused whatever they could from the '60 to make the '61-'63 F-100 annuals and then the later modified reissue of the '63 F-100 with Camper.  That's why the '60 kit was never run again. 

At that point it made perfect sense to develop them both together, saving time, money and it allowed us to actually have more total parts in each kit. Although each kit can be produced separately, it was decided to do the initial runs together, allowing some other new items to be run before the upcoming CNY Holiday break. 

-Steve 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2