Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Revell '79 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Casey

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

Anyone have any luck getting one in the states yet?

I don't believe the kit is full distributed in Europe yet as some vendors don't have it in stock.  Will be a month or two (or longer) before they show up here, and even then it's only to places that order them as the "new" Revell doesn't automatically force ship EVERY kit like Hobbico did, you have to order the European kits to receive them.  If you want one out of Europe the going price seems to be around $165 before shipping.

44 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I don't believe the kit is full distributed in Europe yet as some vendors don't have it in stock.  Will be a month or two (or longer) before they show up here, and even then it's only to places that order them as the "new" Revell doesn't automatically force ship EVERY kit like Hobbico did, you have to order the European kits to receive them.  If you want one out of Europe the going price seems to be around $165 before shipping.

Thanks nightowl. I find it really interesting that they are only releasing this in Europe, while it is a very iconic car (and kit!) in the states.

6 hours ago, Mike C. said:

The first Trans Ams were a little foofy for my taste. Too many spoilers and things that do nothing performance wise. By the mid 70s the were downright poser mobiles. Disco decal cars. We used to call them Guido cars and I'm Italian.

Actually, the spats and spoilers were wind tested back then and were found to actually work at keeping the tires on the road, where you want them! The hood scoop was also able to pull air form the high pressure area at the windshield, whereas the Formula scoops weren't as effective at getting air from the front of the hood.

The 400/4 speed engine in the T/A 6.6 was rated a 220hp which was good performance for the late 70s. With 320 ft/lbs of tourque it was faster than pretty much anything else available in 1978-79, including Corvette, Mustang and Camaro. And that was off the showroom floor, anything that could be done to the earlier 400s to boost performance, could still be done to the last ones. T/A 6.6 heads were from the earlier 350 Pontiac engine  (labeled 6x heads) and had a lower deck, increasing compression in the bigger engine and boosting performance. That, along with other tuning tricks, gave the Trans Am respect in an otherwise dismal period.

Ask drivers who had one and they'll tell you, the car felt stronger than numbers would have you believe. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 1:05 AM, Hawk312 said:

For those looking, a few showed up on eBay today with shipping to the US.

I think it would be wise to sit back and wait a little longer. I can not imagine Revell wouldn't release this in The States.

My guess; it will be a 2023 first or second quarter release, probably retailing for 150-160 dollars.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, heinz74 said:

got mine today..

allways wanted one ,but Ebay prices were going through the roof for an original issue ..haven't built a decent model for a couple of years now,but this one is gonna get the 5 star treatment..

Does the box still have Wolverine on it? :blink:

• Haha 1

Got mine as well. Very excited to have a mint one of these to build now.

Jfyi, the bird is different colors in this one compared to the ‘87 release of this kit. It not has more blueish/grayish feathers, where as it used to be brown/tan and gold.

2 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

Got mine as well. Very excited to have a mint one of these to build now.

Jfyi, the bird is different colors in this one compared to the ‘87 release of this kit. It not has more blueish/grayish feathers, where as it used to be brown/tan and gold.

Where did you get yours from? I need one of these like a hole in the head, but I need one of these….lol

2 hours ago, tbill said:

Where did you get yours from? I need one of these like a hole in the head, but I need one of these….lol

There are a few sellers on EBay now willing to ship to the states for a reasonable amount. 👍😎

• Thanks 1

got mine too yesterday..

it's like an oversized 1/24 kit..but i'll make it believable ,no plug wires included in the kit..easily fixed..

love these big kits ,you can really go to town with the paint and details..

it still baffles me they didn't release it in the US first ,most people in europe have never seen a real one..probably only know it from the movies with the guy with the moustache and cowboyhat

anyway ,gonna love building this thing ,angry chicken et al

We compiling information and making 3D prints to offer conversion kits for the new Revell kit.

We really could use UNTOUCHED kits to document the sprues and individual parts from the two previous kits.

I have 2 of the new kits on the way to Utah

We are on Facebook should you care to offer kit photos in HIGH RESOLUTION 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5764275106940307 

Edited by Gene Davis

On 9/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, Gene Davis said:

We compiling information and making 3D prints to offer conversion kits for the new Revell kit.

We really could use UNTOUCHED kits to document the sprues and individual parts from the two previous kits.

I have 2 of the new kits on the way to Utah

We are on Facebook should you care to offer kit photos in HIGH RESOLUTION 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5764275106940307 

Hi Gene

How great is that idea !

I'm living in Europe, so I'll probably get a few of these kits. Maybe WAY more than expected if you provide good parts 😃

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For those pining to replicate the T/A in a color other than black, black or black with decals to match, there IS a place you can get them.

https://rayskits.com/product/1979-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-2/

I had a Mayan Red T/A brand new back in 1979 loaded with the manual shifter and no T-tops.  This will be a fun conversion.  The kit is available via Amazon, ships from the UK.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09Q6BV3X1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I paid $172US, and now the price has ticked up a bit, so be warned - Amazon prices are fluid.

• Thanks 1