Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you seen or made what we called scrap kit as a kid (or kid at hart)

Have you seen or made what we called scrap kit as a kid (or kid at hart). We did all kinds crazy stuff to them from adding guns to rockets, I wish I had pictures of them now. But I found this on on Evilbay last week and it brought back great memory. Notice the exhaust made from straws. A to be a kid again.

s-l160wrtjh0.jpg

s-l160wrtjhg0.jpg

s-l160wrtjhfg0.jpg

• Like 1

I really wish I would have taken pictures of these but one was from parts I had in a big bin and some kits. I took a 70s ford econoline van and made it into a pulling vehicle. I put a 4x4 drivetrain under it and a huge V8 with the open pipes coming strait up out of the exhaust manifolds through holes that I drilled  into the windshield. I also added duel wheels all the way around (the tires were those old Gates off road tires like the Firestones that you see with the ford truck kit) and painted it red and white. I was pretty bizarre looking. 

The other was an AFX (1/64) chassis with a blow drier motor that my sister threw away after the heating element wouldn't work any more. I wired it to the copper pickup elements and held it on with Scotch tape because electric tape was too thick. The whole thing resulted in an air powered AFX slot car that was really top heavy. You really had to finesse it around the corners and I had to make a special oval track with no overpasses to run it on but everybody seemed to get a kick out of it.

10 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I really wish I would have taken pictures of these but one was from parts I had in a big bin and some kits. I took a 70s ford econoline van and made it into a pulling vehicle. I put a 4x4 drivetrain under it and a huge V8 with the open pipes coming strait up out of the exhaust manifolds through holes that I drilled  into the windshield. I also added duel wheels all the way around (the tires were those old Gates off road tires like the Firestones that you see with the ford truck kit) and painted it red and white. I was pretty bizarre looking. 

The other was an AFX (1/64) chassis with a blow drier motor that my sister threw away after the heating element wouldn't work any more. I wired it to the copper pickup elements and held it on with Scotch tape because electric tape was too thick. The whole thing resulted in an air powered AFX slot car that was really top heavy. You really had to finesse it around the corners and I had to make a special oval track with no overpasses to run it on but everybody seemed to get a kick out of it.

Oh that's great, I wish I could of seen them, I forgot about the modified slot cars, we did that to but not that big LOL. Such good times.

If we were building as kids, I think we all have "fudged" on the accuracy of the details. 

I remember when I wasn't concerned with suspension parts being intact and using plastic tabs with holes drilled into them, glued to the chassis just to hold the wire axles in place. So I could just simply roll it around to play with it. Hey, at least I could adjust the ride height where I wanted it easier! I even made a 4x4 stance on a pickup using long tabs and NO suspension whatsoever!

Life was simpler then.

• Thanks 1

My older brother and I made builds like this all the time. We had a huge box of leftover parts that we would rummage through parts for our project. I remember a 55 Chevy and I was missing the hood ornament. I dug through the box until I found a tiny airplane from an aircraft carrier model. It was a bit out of scale but looked almost identical to the real hood ornament.

We used pieces of plastic bread ties as lift blocks under the leaf springs or axles to lift the suspensions.

One time we built a rail dragster and instead of putting a rear wing on it we put a rear seat from a car on the uprights to give it a place for passengers to sit.

Yep, to be a kid again!!

Later-

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If we were building as kids, I think we all have "fudged" on the accuracy of the details. 

I remember when I wasn't concerned with suspension parts being intact and using plastic tabs with holes drilled into them, glued to the chassis just to hold the wire axles in place. So I could just simply roll it around to play with it. Hey, at least I could adjust the ride height where I wanted it easier! I even made a 4x4 stance on a pickup using long tabs and NO suspension whatsoever!

Life was simpler then.

Yep you said it.

12 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

My older brother and I made builds like this all the time. We had a huge box of leftover parts that we would rummage through parts for our project. I remember a 55 Chevy and I was missing the hood ornament. I dug through the box until I found a tiny airplane from an aircraft carrier model. It was a bit out of scale but looked almost identical to the real hood ornament.

We used pieces of plastic bread ties as lift blocks under the leaf springs or axles to lift the suspensions.

One time we built a rail dragster and instead of putting a rear wing on it we put a rear seat from a car on the uprights to give it a place for passengers to sit.

Yep, to be a kid again!!

Later-

That sounds awesome, wish you had pic's

38 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

I have this kit. The spoof parts would make a fun crazy build on something else.

1971 Grand Prix box art.jpg

Wow that's crazy,

I am starting think about building one just for fun. let out some of the kid left in me.

Well a little older than as a kid. Some years back a group of guys from the Coffin Corner site got together a couple time to build a model (or more) in one day. All we used was CA glue, black primer and silver metalizer. We called the Rat Plastic Thrash. Good times.

goodsweb-vi.jpg

allofem01-vi.jpg

Samlookingatkits-vi.jpg

samf1-vi.jpg

RP2side-vi.jpg

On 4/2/2022 at 8:06 PM, lazlow said:

Have you seen or made what we called scrap kit as a kid (or kid at hart). We did all kinds crazy stuff to them from adding guns to rockets, I wish I had pictures of them now. But I found this on on Evilbay last week and it brought back great memory. Notice the exhaust made from straws. A to be a kid again.

I know I did all of that. My oldest built model is a MPC '67 Charger w/426 with seven stripped purple spark plug wires the size of radiator hoses (phone wire) and it's wired from the distributor to where the plugs are on an SBC. I'd no idea what a hemi was or how it worked, I just liked models. Mechanically possible wasn't a thought as most of my inspiration was from CarToons magazine. 😁

7 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Well a little older than as a kid. Some years back a group of guys from the Coffin Corner site got together a couple time to build a model (or more) in one day. All we used was CA glue, black primer and silver metalizer. We called the Rat Plastic Thrash. Good times.

goodsweb-vi.jpg

allofem01-vi.jpg

Samlookingatkits-vi.jpg

samf1-vi.jpg

RP2side-vi.jpg

Sounds like a blast! I'd be too tempted to want to take everything on the table home with me though. Love digging through parts boxes for treasure.

Later-

21 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

goodsweb-vi.jpg

allofem01-vi.jpg

Samlookingatkits-vi.jpg

samf1-vi.jpg

RP2side-vi.jpg

that looks like a blast, those came out cool. big kids at hart.

17 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I know I did all of that. My oldest built model is a MPC '67 Charger w/426 with seven stripped purple spark plug wires the size of radiator hoses (phone wire) and it's wired from the distributor to where the plugs are on an SBC. I'd no idea what a hemi was or how it worked, I just liked models. Mechanically possible wasn't a thought as most of my inspiration was from CarToons magazine. 😁

man I forgot about CarToons magazine's, Loved those. The farmer was my favorite cartoon in it, with him using all the left over junk around the farm. Like us and are parts box's

12 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Quite a few Palmer prototypes here. 

I used to employ drinking straws to "lift" the suspension on the MPC 1/16 scale C20 kits I had. Super glue the straws to the front and rear , then slide the kit's plastic axles through 'em. 

that's great, that first car in this topic had them for exhaust, I may have to use them in the future, especially the bendy ones.