Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

11 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, has anybody completed a build of this newly Updated '32 Roadster kit?

How did it fit? Any Issues to be aware of? Would you build another?

I started one - nothing much to report so far…

6DAA4F49-E47F-43E4-81CD-287A791B26A3.jpeg.6dbd84ce4704985e338ce35b06278546.jpeg

I think the SBC in the 29 kits is a better piece, what with the nice alternator bracket and the fact the oil pan isn’t molded in (why did they decide to do that?!) but there was considerably less cleanup to do so far than on a lot of the more recent issues in their Deuce series.

I might add any useful notes I think of to this topic for other people’s benefit - I’m doing a straight up box-stock build so I wasn’t planning on giving it it’s own build thread…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I think the SBC in the 29 kits is a better piece, what with the nice alternator bracket and the fact the oil pan isn’t molded in (why did they decide to do that?!) but there was considerably less cleanup to do so far than on a lot of the more recent issues in their Deuce series.

I'm just the opposite. I much prefer the engine in this and the Rat Roaster kit. I bought the RR for the engine and other parts. I especially like the Weiand supercharger better. 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I'm just the opposite. I much prefer the engine in this and the Rat Roaster kit. I bought the RR for the engine and other parts. I especially like the Weiand supercharger better. 

Oh yeah, I'd agree the blower is cooler in the RR.  I was just surprised by the molded in pan, mostly, I guess...I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the 'cool' bits from the 29 fit the RR (and vice versa) fairly easily anyway.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, CabDriver said:

Oh yeah, I'd agree the blower is cooler in the RR.  I was just surprised by the molded in pan, mostly, I guess...I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the 'cool' bits from the 29 fit the RR (and vice versa) fairly easily anyway.

That's exactly what I did. 

Hi Mike, yes. I bought two kits, and both were like this. Requested replacements from Revell, but they are currently out of stock, and "it may take some time to get them out to me..."

I have an almost completed build that is on hold due to this. Tried a couple of other options to "fix" the frame, but couldn't get them to work.

Cheers

warped windshield frame.jpg

32 Roadster.jpg

Edited by SpikeSchumacher
Spelling/pics
  • Like 1

At least my windshield has no issues. I do have a Replicas & Miniatures Duvall resin windscreen here and it appears to fit the new revised 32 Roadster  when eyeballing it.

The shape is a little different and it has pins on the underside to make it easier to mount.

It appears to me to be a viable alternative if Revell aren't forthcoming with replacements for their dodgy ones.

IMG_1450.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roncla said:

At least my windshield has no issues. I do have a Replicas & Miniatures Duvall resin windscreen here and it appears to fit the new revised 32 Roadster  when eyeballing it.

The Rep +Min piece is beautiful, but you may want to do more than eyeball it before you get started. The new roadster cowl is about 1 mm wider than the "old" Revell tooling from 1997. You can probably make it fit with some gentle sanding but I would hate to see you get to the paint stage and realize it's not a "drop-on"

On 1/6/2023 at 1:36 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

The Rep +Min piece is beautiful, but you may want to do more than eyeball it before you get started. The new roadster cowl is about 1 mm wider than the "old" Revell tooling from 1997. You can probably make it fit with some gentle sanding but I would hate to see you get to the paint stage and realize it's not a "drop-on"

Thats a good point Craig. Eyeballing isn't the most accurate of ways to check fit. 

Since it was  such a quick and easy job I used Rep +Mins supplied template and drilled the required three pin holes and have found their part fits perfect and is actually a better fit than my Revell one which will require some fettling to get it to sit properly. I've had to stick it down with carpet tape in the photo so its sitting properly.

The modifications Rep + Min say to perform to the body to make their screen fit the old 32 have already been performed on the new 32 shell by Revell.

The shape of the screens are noticeably different with Rep + Min screen being noticeably more laid back in appearance.

IMG_1471.thumb.jpg.27985070e3fce8c0ef50c2228ac2570e.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Edited by Roncla
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I picked one up today, and it looks like I lucked out on the windshield frame.  It looks like you'll has some cutting and filing ahead of you if you want to adapt the wheels and brakes from the Revell '29 A kit.  I don't have a problem with the Chevy engine, though it would be nice to have some different options for the intake side.  A six pack of carbs always looks good, with either air cleaners, of a set of snorkel intakes like on the Tweedy Pie.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:13 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't have a problem with the Chevy engine, though it would be nice to have some different options for the intake side.  A six pack of carbs always looks good, with either air cleaners, of a set of snorkel intakes like on the Tweedy Pie.

The Tweedy Pie Intake sounds like a great option for this kit.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:21 PM, Roncla said:

Thats a good point Craig. Eyeballing isn't the most accurate of ways to check fit. 

Glad to know the Rep +Min Duvall fits the new body. I applaud Revell for the new parts they added to this kit and will buy more. But the R+M piece really captures the laid back swoopiness of the Duvall unit so much better. Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:21 PM, Roncla said:

Since it was  such a quick and easy job I used Rep +Mins supplied template and drilled the required three pin holes and have found their part fits perfect and is actually a better fit than my Revell one which will require some fettling to get it to sit properly. I've had to stick it down with carpet tape in the photo so its sitting properly.

The modifications Rep + Min say to perform to the body to make their screen fit the old 32 have already been performed on the new 32 shell by Revell.

The shape of the screens are noticeably different with Rep + Min screen being noticeably more laid back in appearance.

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

I'm thinking I like how the RMoM fits better...

• Like 1