Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's Revell's "Mainstreamer" 1962 Chrysler Newport Convertible builtup box stock....

tim boyd

Interesting that a number of you have expressed interest in some of my Chrysler 1960's C-body models, and have shown yours as well, so I will go ahead and post a few more.  

Here's a box-stock buildup of Revell's 1962 annual kit Chrysler Newport convertible, finished in the production color 'Bermuda Turquoise".   This was built about 20 years ago or so, and the only major effort was to repair a broken A-pillar and windshield header found in the original unbuilt kit box.   

The kit was pretty basic, even in the context of early 1960's model offerings.  Body proportions were pretty good, but when the tooling source engraved the Newport sidebody trim it ended up angled slightly upward toward the front in an unrealistic fashion.  The trunk lock surround was also far more elaborate than found on the actual production car, probably a result of last-minute efforts at Chrysler to simplify the overly ornate Exner- era exterior ornamentation as the car went into production (remember the model car tooling was probably completed several months earlier).   You can see that non-production trim treatment in one of the images below.... 

DSC 0406

Big question, of course, is whether Atlantis acquired this tooling along with its other purchases from the Revell-Monogram tooling bank, and if so, whether it could be made production ready.  While I have assisted a bit in a very minor role with bringing a few of the Atlantic products to market, I've heard nothing from the owner on this particular subject.  

One other interesting factoid.  I coined the term "Mainstreamer" to describe this model and other model kits of the highest volume, "mainstream" offerings of the auto manufacturers (as opposed to the top of the line performance or luxury cars that most often found their way into annual kits of the 1960's automobiles).   That term has subsequently acquired a certain degree of acceptance in the auto modeling community since then - thanks guys!   

TB 

PS - here's a few more images....

PPS - please feel free to share your images of this kit, if you have one, in this message thread....

DSC 0400

DSC 0401

DSC 0402

DSC 0403

DSC 0404

DSC 0405

DSC 0407

• Like 2

This is one that I’ve never had, although I would have liked to.

I suppose I never really pursued one because it was so close in form and appearance to the Johan ‘62 Chrysler 300-H convertible. 
I have never been particularly concerned with particular models of an automobile, but more so just any example of a year and make.

In the same vein as the Johan ‘61 Chrysler, I would have rather seen a ‘61 Chrysler 300-G, but the New Yorker was just as good in my mind.

That said, although not a common sight, I’ve seen a few of these Revell ‘62 Newports built, most of them not particularly memorable, but this one is exceptionally well done!

Nice job Tim! 😊

Steve

I have been interested in this series for a while now and this looks very good! (I have the Lancer and Valiant, both unbuilt yet.)The single exhaust was a refreshing and welcome surprise! 😯 So use to the duel exhausts on the Johan and AMT chassis of the era.

How does this kit compare to the Johan Chrysler? 

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

Funny, but the same phenomenon is evident on the Lindberg '64 Dodge kits.

Steve

I agree. I remember that being pointed out by someone and now I have amental block about building one since I don't want to deal with the side trim. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:18 AM, #1 model citizen said:

How does this kit compare to the Johan Chrysler? 

John...sorry for the delay in responding to your question.  I recall when I built the model also looking at a Jo-Han'62 Chrysler 300H I was building until the paint messed up and I stopped the project.  My vague recollection was that the Jo-Han was the better kit, but not by a very wide margin.  Key takeaway:  let the series preference (300 vs. Newport) be the determining factor in which kit to build.  Yes, the Revell is harder to find, but the original Jo-Han 300J annual kit (vs. the 1970's Golden Olides reissue) is even harder to find than the Revell kit.  Also, the Metalflake series reissue of the Newport is the same kit except for the color of the styrene, and may be easier to locate than the original annual kit. 

In any case, both the Revell and Jo-Han kits are typical early 1960's model kit technology and show excellent basic body proportions, and they respond well to a straight box stock buildup using today's modeling techniques (as i did with this build), or as the basis for a far more involved and detailed buildup with extensive kitbashing and aftermarket additions (such as the spectacular replica stock builds of Steven Guthmiller)....TIM 

Thanks for asking....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

On 5/6/2022 at 10:16 PM, Butter 1 said:

HI Tim.  You can take the most basic kit and make it look way cool.  Nicely done. 

Will I see you in Salt Lake next year?

Ron.....great to hear from you, and thanks for the compliment. 

SLC for 2023 is certainly on my radar screen and entered into my Outlook calendar.  

All....for those who don't already know, Ron is a very long time top end model car builder, and whose outstanding modeling skills have been featured in the mags for over 30 years.  

Very Best...TB

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Ron.....great to hear from you, and thanks for the compliment. 

SLC for 2023 is certainly on my radar screen and entered into my Outlook calendar.  

All....for those who don't already know, Ron is a very long time top end model car builder, and whose outstanding modeling skills have been featured in the mags for over 30 years.  

Very Best...TB

Hi Tim. Thank you for the kind words. Several threads (yours included) that I see in this forum have inspired me to pick up the glue and sand paper again. I have a current thread in the "WIP pickups and SUV's" section titled "DeFoosing the FD100". I would be honored if you took a look and let me know what you think.

Ron B.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Not the Revell kit but,,, I guess if everyone else is posting their JoHan 300s, I might as well too.

IMG 2691

IMG 2692

Thanks for posting, Steve.  I remember seeing this one elsewhere recently and being very impressed.   Chopped top, really tasty fadeaways, and really nicely done!   TIM

2 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Hi Tim. Thank you for the kind words. Several threads (yours included) that I see in this forum have inspired me to pick up the glue and sand paper again. I have a current thread in the "WIP pickups and SUV's" section titled "DeFoosing the FD100". I would be honored if you took a look and let me know what you think.

Ron B.

Ron...I've been checking that one out and really like what you've done.....but thanks for the heads-up.  I was thinking that there had been a gap in your building and was very excited to know you are back at it!   TIM