Model Cars Magazine Forum

12 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

Thanks, Pete! Cool video. Did you fly BUFFs or KC-135s? The closest I have ever come is riding as a passenger on a 707.

1,000 hours in the KC-135.   Took this photo back in 1979 of early morning heavy weight take off out of Fairchild.  In the lower right you can just make out the Tanker ready to go.   image.png.e2d210536700759adda7d5741d0f51d1.png

Edited by Pete J.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, Kit Basher said:

Thanks, Jim! I managed to find space for my finished 1/72  Space Shuttle,  B-1,  XB-70, and this BUFF. But I was just looking at my stash, and in addition to the ones I mentioned in my first post, I have a 1/72 B-47, a 1/100 Concorde, and a 1/48 B-58. Also a couple of 1/72 C-130s. I'm going to have to put an addition on my house!

You might could consider an aircraft hangar, those are some big birds.

3 hours ago, Pete J. said:

1,000 hours in the KC-135.   Took this photo back in 1979 of early morning heavy weight take off out of Fairchild.  In the lower right you can just make out the Tanker ready to go. 

Cool photo, Pete. Thanks for what you did!

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

You might could consider an aircraft hangar, those are some big birds.

Sounds like a plan. BTW, it's nice to hear someone speak proper Southern. Folks from other places might wonder why you said "might could".  I would have said it exactly the same way. 😊

Like a lot of others obviously, I saw a lot of these. I was born on Blytheville AFB, a SAC base, and also had my first job there working as a laborer on the cruise missile facilities project. I grew up to the sound of B-52s and KC-135s warming up on the alert pad. I just recently visited the old base (it is in sad shape) and toured the new Cold War Museum. It is a nice project and still growing, but definitely worth stopping by if you are ever rolling up or down I-55 in Arkansas. It has inspired me to build a B-52, so yours is especially interesting and looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking BUFF. I too built alot of airplane kits when I was a kid.  I hung them all up from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line. I must have had at least 20, all 1/48 scale. My biggest was a Testors AC-130 gunship. Thing was huge! One day, I came home to find a pile of parts on the floor that used to be the AC-130. Apparently the fishing line gave way. Well, my mom got mad that I left the pile on the floor for a couple of days and threw it out. I'm still sore about that one even after 35 years, lol. I still have most of them in boxes on the attic. Hmmm, now I'm gonna hafta go digging around upstairs, for old times sake. 

Can't wait to see your other planes built.

Jeff

12 hours ago, dragin70s said:

Like a lot of others obviously, I saw a lot of these. I was born on Blytheville AFB, a SAC base, and also had my first job there working as a laborer on the cruise missile facilities project. I grew up to the sound of B-52s and KC-135s warming up on the alert pad. I just recently visited the old base (it is in sad shape) and toured the new Cold War Museum. It is a nice project and still growing, but definitely worth stopping by if you are ever rolling up or down I-55 in Arkansas. It has inspired me to build a B-52, so yours is especially interesting and looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Rob!

11 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Hugh, cool to see a great build of my favorite big bird.  Great work on the SEA camo too!!

Thanks, MIke!

9 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Great looking BUFF. I too built alot of airplane kits when I was a kid.  I hung them all up from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line. I must have had at least 20, all 1/48 scale. My biggest was a Testors AC-130 gunship. Thing was huge! One day, I came home to find a pile of parts on the floor that used to be the AC-130. Apparently the fishing line gave way. Well, my mom got mad that I left the pile on the floor for a couple of days and threw it out. I'm still sore about that one even after 35 years, lol. I still have most of them in boxes on the attic. Hmmm, now I'm gonna hafta go digging around upstairs, for old times sake. 

Can't wait to see your other planes built.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

On 5/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, gbtr6 said:

Nice BUFF. I got to see these up close at K I Sawyer in the UP. SAC base, They came in over the highway. Quite the site. And sound.

Perry

I saw a Vietnam War documentary a little while ago and they were interviewing a VC or NVA soldier - doesn't really matter though - the guy was saying that they couldn't hear or see the B-52s.  The only way they knew that they had been through was when the bombs started exploding.

Lots of noise near the ground but not so much from height apparently...

10 minutes ago, showrods said:

I saw a Vietnam War documentary a little while ago and they were interviewing a VC or NVA soldier - doesn't really matter though - the guy was saying that they couldn't hear or see the B-52s.  The only way they knew that they had been through was when the bombs started exploding.

Lots of noise near the ground but not so much from height apparently...

Exactly. I could see them coming, but you couldn't hear them until they were on you, and past. Of course, at 20,000 feet +, they're pretty undetectable.

Perry

11 hours ago, slusher said:

WoW, very impressive, Hugh!

Thanks, Carl!

8 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Great build. Used to watch them takeoff and land in Shreveport, La.

Thanks, Gerald! Looks great in all black.  That is a lot of ordnance.

Awesome. That is one of the great planes. What did you use to mask the camo? And which paint manufacture did you use?

I am working on a A10,my first plane in a long,long time.  Thanks for any info.

16 hours ago, TNT said:

Awesome. That is one of the great planes. What did you use to mask the camo? And which paint manufacture did you use?

I am working on a A10,my first plane in a long,long time.  Thanks for any info.

Thanks, Anthony! Actually, the only masking I did for the camo was to separate it from the black. I used Tamiya "tape for curves" for that. For the camo itself, I used my airbrush, set to a fine line, to separate the colors. It was just done freehand, taking care to point the airbrush into the color I was applying. Then I could open up the airbrush and fill in the large areas. The camo paint is all Model Master.

Thanks. I have some thin tamiya tape. My paints are velejo and createx. I may have to practice airbrushing camo. I was using a pasche h but moved up to a iwata eclispe which is so much better for freehand lines.