Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

• 2 weeks later...

'Holiday' was the term Olds used for 2-door hardtops and 4-door hardtops.  Buick did the same with their '49-'58 'Riviera', which designated a hardtop.  Pontiac used 'Catalina' for their early hardtops, which started in '50.  Chevy did the same with their early hardtop, the 'Bel Air', which came out in '50.  Cadillac used 'deVille' for their hardtops then eventually muddled the term by also including a thin-pillared 4-door sedan!   

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Motor City said:

'Holiday' was the term Olds used for 2-door hardtops and 4-door hardtops.  Buick did the same with their '49-'58 'Riviera', which designated a hardtop.  Pontiac used 'Catalina' for their early hardtops, which started in '50.  Chevy did the same with their early hardtop, the 'Bel Air', which came out in '50.  Cadillac used 'deVille' for their hardtops then eventually muddled the term by also including a thin-pillared 4-door sedan!   

John's thinking of the Cutlass Supreme with the Monte Carlo style roof as opposed to the fastback. 

But, no, a lot of people thought it was going to be the Supreme but the only thing Revell ever showed samples of was the fastback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

I didn't realise that Holiday meant hardtop. Thank you for the new-to-me info.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

John's thinking of the Cutlass Supreme with the Monte Carlo style roof as opposed to the fastback. 

But, no, a lot of people thought it was going to be the Supreme but the only thing Revell ever showed samples of was the fastback.

I was under the impression --my own 'conclusion-- that this was going to be a pillared coupe (framed door and quarter glass; vent windows). Perhaps wishful thinking on my part? Haha.

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I was under the impression --my own 'conclusion-- that this was going to be a pillared coupe (framed door and quarter glass; vent windows). Perhaps wishful thinking on my part? Haha.

the pillared coupe was available in '70 and '72, but not on the '71 442

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Pretty sure the roofline was the same. Nothing a few carefully placed strips of Evergreen can't cure.

• Like 1

Seeing that it is a Holiday coupe I will be picking one up. 

By the way, my mother had a 1980 Olds Delta Holiday 88 Coupe. Which was not a hardtop. Several years after Oldsmobile offered their last hardtops, they brought the name back for a special sports package on the base Delta 88 two-door coupe. I believe it was offered only from 1978 through 1980 (maybe 1981 too?). The package included bucket seats with a console, color-keyed wheel covers, and Holiday 88 badges. My mother bought her’s brand new right off the show floor in 1980. It was painted factory two-tone Gold, with Gold cloth buckets, and factory wire wheel covers replacing the color-keyed wheel covers. I was not too keen on the wire wheel covers, or the two-tone paint for that matter. But over all it was a sharp looking car for the time. And a big step up from the cheap, basically stripped Mercury Monarch my dad had bought her new in 1975. After my dad buying three cheap (he was raised in depression era thinking), fairly stripped compact Mercurys through the years, my mother had enough. She bought new Olds without my fathers help. They drove big Oldsmobiles back in the 1950s. And she liked them. And she like her new ‘80 Holiday 88. And the old man’s thoughts? Other than the cost, he liked it too. 

Edited by unclescott58

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Seeing that it is a Holiday coupe I will be picking one up. 

By the way, my mother had a 1980 Olds Delta Holiday 88 Coupe. Which was not a hardtop. Several years after Oldsmobile offered their last hardtops, they brought the name back for a special sports package on the base Delta 88 two-door coupe. I believe it was offered only from 1978 through 1980 (maybe 1981 too?). The package included bucket seats with a console, color-keyed wheel covers, and Holiday 88 badges. My mother bought her’s brand new right off the show floor in 1980. It was painted factory two-tone Gold, with Gold cloth buckets, and factory wire wheel covers replacing the color-keyed wheel covers. I was not too keen on the wire wheel covers, or the two-tone paint for that matter. But over all it was a sharp looking car for the time. And a big step up from the cheap, basically stripped Mercury Monarch my dad had bought her new in 1975. After my dad buying three cheap (he was raised in depression era thinking), fairly stripped compact Mercurys through the years, my mother had enough. She bought new Olds without my fathers help. They drove big Oldsmobiles back in the 1950s. And she liked them. And she like her new ‘80 Holiday 88. And the old man’s thoughts? Other than the cost, he liked it too. 

Like this one, Scott?

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1157501/1980-oldsmobile-delta-88-for-sale-in-cadillac-michigan-49601

8 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Other than the landau vinyl roof, that’s exactly what my mother’s Holiday 88 looked like. Right color combo. Correct wire wheel covers. Boy that brings back fond memories. Thank you for putting a link to that. 

58 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The success of the '77 Delta 88 Indy Pace Car replica (with bucket seats) led Olds to introduce the Holiday 88 for 1978. 

I worked at Olds at the time, the 78 Holiday 88 was in case the downsized 78 Cutlass Supreme flopped.

I guess GM was trying to cover all bases.  The downsized '78-'80 GM intermediates turned out to be a sales success, though in my opinion not as attractive looking as their '73-'77 predecessors or '81-'87 replacements (and '88 Monte Carlo).  Buick came out with the LeSabre Sport Coupe in '77, and bucket seats were available the following year.  The Bonneville then made bucket seats optional again on their '79 coupe.  The real flops ended up being the X-body FWD replacements for the Nova and its twins and the too-small Somerset Regal and its twins. 

By the way, according to the 1981 Oldsmobile Specs Book (Effective April 13, 1981), one could still order a Delta 88 Coupe (model L37, $7963.59) with the Holiday Coupe Option (option Y72, $284.00). What did one get when ordering option Y72? “Y72 Holiday Coupe Option, Includes Special Holiday Emblem, Contour Bucket Front Seats, Sports Console with “T” Shifter, Sport-Styled Outside Rearview Mirrors (D35), Custom Sport Steering Wheel, and special Color-Keyed Wheel Discs. Available on L37 Coupe only - N31, N72, N83, N91 available (N.A. With optional mirrors, N32, N37, PA3 or U23)” 

Edited by unclescott58

Here's an image of the prior generation ('78/'79} Holiday Coupe exterior and interior.  Very seldom one of those would be built without a vinyl roof.  This image taken at the 2018 Oldsmobile Reunion in Lansing, Michigan.  Extensive Olds Reunion event pictures at this link for any Olds fan who might be interested....TB ...

DSC 0688

DSC 0689

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know we're sidetracking a bit, but I always thought those 88 Holiday coupes were cool, kinda like a throwback to the early-to-mid sixties full size muscle machines like the Impala SS, Jetstar, etc.

I recall occasionally seeing the 78/79 models, but it seems like the 80/81 were as rare as hen's teeth, at least in my area.

I seem to recall seeing only one in a local junkyard in the mid-90s.

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse my ignorance what is new on this kit and what kit is it based on? Could not see any history when I checked scalemates but it says "new parts". Saw a 1:1 for the first time the other day and really liked it. Will buy this kit when it is available.

27 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Excuse my ignorance what is new on this kit and what kit is it based on? Could not see any history when I checked scalemates but it says "new parts". Saw a 1:1 for the first time the other day and really liked it. Will buy this kit when it is available.

This kit is based on the existing Revell convertible kit, it will feature an all new hardtop body, and other parts which differ from the '72 ragtop.

Image result for revell 442

Image result for revell CUTLASS

Image result for revell 442

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 2