Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD TO THE BONE! Custom muscle cars! Sure to get the goosebumps going.

11 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

How about an Australian custom muscle car.

I have always liked looking at the Monaros and this one is really exceptional. The quality of the body work along with the entire engineering of the chassis is amazing. Alway wished that GM would have brought these cars to the US. In '05 when I retired, I bought what was sold here as a Pontiac GTO with the 6-speed manual.  Drove it for nine years and only sold it because of my neck not allowing me to bend enough to get in and out. Still mis that car. 

DSCN0815.JPG

• Like 2

Ive already mentioned I’m not a fan of this channel but this ‘64 Mercury Comet is the coolest car I’ve ever seen. But unfortunately we get to witness 23 years of work gone in flash.

Just plain stupidity. If you have a 5 point harness, wear the darn things. Lap belts aren’t gonna save you. They’re both extremely lucky they’re even alive. I honestly fault the builder on the brake job he did himself. Well.... watch the video.

*A word of caution.... graphic video*

Edited by BlackSheep214

6 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Ive already mentioned I’m not a fan of this channel but this ‘64 Mercury Comet is the coolest car I’ve ever seen. But unfortunately we get to witness 23 years of work gone in flash.

Just plain stupidity. If you have a 5 point harness, wear the darn things. Lap belts aren’t gonna save you. They’re both extremely lucky they’re even alive. I honestly fault the builder on the brake job he did himself. Well.... watch the video.

At 1:51 that's some killer fore shadowing lol. If you slow the vid down to 0.5 and at 5:29 mark i don't know how he didn't break his chest.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

I ASSume that that a settlement was made with the driver and passengers of the Honduh before the idiots put all this incriminating evidence regarding sticking throttle and riding the undersized brakes until he probably boiled the brake fluid. Did the car have no parking brake? What about turning off the key to kill the engine?

I think that the harnesses are stupid boy racer stuff for a street driven Cars and Coffee kind of a ride, but I chastised my boss until he added an aftermarket three point harness with inertia reels in his Chevelle. The interior had undergone a color change and the previous owner thought it was a good idea to just throw away the original separate shoulder belts, leaving some crummy lap belts with no retractors....

Not stupid boy racer stuff if you’ve got a 600 plus c.u. big block that gives you 1300 HP under the hood. The frickin’ Comet is built like a Pro Street for Christ Sake! Stupidity is not wearing the 5 point harness to begin with. The owner most likely underestimated the choice of brake system used. In fact, he should have ended the ride when he noticed his accelerator was sticking. 

Bottom line, the owner is responsible for his stupidity for ignoring the warning signs. My take? I’m glad his Comet was demolished. He deserves it. 

Edited by BlackSheep214

18 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not stupid boy racer stuff if you’ve got a 600 plus c.u. big block that gives you 1300 HP under the hood. The frickin’ Comet is built like a Pro Street for Christ Sake! Stupidity is not wearing the 5 point harness to begin with. The owner most likely underestimated the choice of brake system used. In fact, he should have ended the ride when he noticed his accelerator was sticking. 

Bottom line, the owner is responsible for his stupidity for ignoring the warning signs. My take? I’m glad his Comet was demolished. He deserves it. 

It sounded like the brakes just weren't enough for a car with that level of power, they even looked a little small compared to what my 200 left the factory with, and those were barely suitable for the 280hp and 3600lb curb weight of my car, nearly 4 times the power and likely not much weight difference can't be good, plus it sounded like there wasn't parking or emergency brake of any sorts either.  What really shocked me is that he only had Liability insurance at that time, so that was 2-3 decades of work and money and marriages gone in that hit.  I didn't like rolling with just that on cars that were sub $3000 cars where Liability cost nearly what I paid for the cars, let alone full coverage, so something that has that much money involved just make no sense.

18 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

It sounded like the brakes just weren't enough for a car with that level of power, they even looked a little small compared to what my 200 left the factory with, and those were barely suitable for the 280hp and 3600lb curb weight of my car, nearly 4 times the power and likely not much weight difference can't be good, plus it sounded like there wasn't parking or emergency brake of any sorts either.  What really shocked me is that he only had Liability insurance at that time, so that was 2-3 decades of work and money and marriages gone in that hit.  I didn't like rolling with just that on cars that were sub $3000 cars where Liability cost nearly what I paid for the cars, let alone full coverage, so something that has that much money involved just make no sense.

Yup. Brakes and the absence of hand brake as well. And not to mention the sticky accelerator.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, stavanzer said:

Many of the other prove that most top level American Gear Heads have plenty of money, but no brains or taste. A lot of "Answers to Questions" nobody was asking........

Your Comet Driver and his Gaudy, Lousy build, are exhibit One, for my statement!

Stupid, Old Fool. And he goes and admits on camera that he had only Liability Ins!

Another rare car, ruined, by an Old Man with no sense of history or proportion, just stuffing an enormous motor in what looks to have been a poorly modified car to try to recreate a 70 year old adolescent dream. And not even the slightest sense that "Hey Maybe I should go straight back the shop and fix this thing" the first time the throttle sticks.......

Before they are done, he and his fellow "Enthusiasts" will have hot-rodded, every 32 Ford, Model T, and 55-57 Chevy on the planet, all in a quest to proclaim "Look at ME!, Mine's the Best!", while having parked their car in a row of hundreds of Identical Rods, differing only in Colour, and make of Engine (Ford vs Chevy), yet otherwise having the same changes made...

Their children can't afford the cars, when the Old Man passes, and the number of buyers who have the money to pay what the Old Fools think there beloved Rod is worth shrinks every day. ( and, at that, the buying pool is composed mostly of slightly younger 'old fools') In ten years, these Over Painted, Over Chromed Monsters will be scrapped in the dozens, if they are not completely outlawed, by Vengeful "Save the Planet" types.

And, you should hear what many of the children have to say about 'Dad's Money Pit" Street Rod!! To say that Dad's Ride is hated is to understate the case. There are exceptions, of course, but some of the stories I have heard! Wow! For every guy who passes the torch to a willing child,  there are 3 or 4 who make eternal enemies. 

No, the Hot Rod Phase will shrink down to a bare nubbin, in the next few years. It was never a Rich Man's Hobby, just an expensive one. (Ever see a Hot Rod at Davos?) So, as most of the current Hobbyists move on, it will simply collapse of it's own overblown excess. 

(I am 59, so these are supposedly my age cohort)

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

And, you should hear what many of the children have to say about 'Dad's Money Pit" Street Rod!! To say that Dad's Ride is hated is to understate the case. There are exceptions, of course, but some of the stories I have heard! Wow! For every guy who passes the torch to a willing child,  there are 3 or 4 who make eternal enemies. 

I was standing next to a kid complaining about what their parents wasted money on one time.  I looked at him and said, it is their money and no one else's money. They don't have to answer to you. He did not like the answer a a couple chuckled and a few agreed with him. 

Alan a good deal of your points are not far off from what I see. The same thing was going on with the classic car market back 20 years ago or so, most of the children were muscle car fans.  They won't be scraping those cars just selling cheaper than what they thought. 

But hey.... at least we can build one in model kit form, put in the biggest monstrous engine possible and not worry about brakes failing, sticky accelerators, or crashing up somebody’s rear end in the process. Maybe the builder/owner should consider a change in hobby choices. It’ll be 1000 times cheaper than rebuilding the 1:1 scale ‘64 Comet. ROFL!!

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:12 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

$280,000, that's insane!  I left this comment on the video:
I put 4 point belts in my teeny tiny engined MINI Cooper S when I did track time, thought I should wear them all the time, because if I got in an accident wearing just the OEM belts and died, I would kill myself for not wearing them. Got really used to the security, didn't care if it looked neerdy. Much respect for anyone building such a car, and being honest.

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Your Comet Driver and his Gaudy, Lousy build, are exhibit One, for my statement!

Stupid, Old Fool. And he goes and admits on camera that he had only Liability Ins!

Another rare car, ruined, by an Old Man with no sense of history or proportion, just stuffing an enormous motor in what looks to have been a poorly modified car to try to recreate a 70 year old adolescent dream. And not even the slightest sense that "Hey Maybe I should go straight back the shop and fix this thing" the first time the throttle sticks.......

Before they are done, he and his fellow "Enthusiasts" will have hot-rodded, every 32 Ford, Model T, and 55-57 Chevy on the planet, all in a quest to proclaim "Look at ME!, Mine's the Best!", while having parked their car in a row of hundreds of Identical Rods, differing only in Colour, and make of Engine (Ford vs Chevy), yet otherwise having the same changes made...

Their children can't afford the cars, when the Old Man passes, and the number of buyers who have the money to pay what the Old Fools think there beloved Rod is worth shrinks every day. ( and, at that, the buying pool is composed mostly of slightly younger 'old fools') In ten years, these Over Painted, Over Chromed Monsters will be scrapped in the dozens, if they are not completely outlawed, by Vengeful "Save the Planet" types.

No, the Hot Rod Phase will shrink down to a bare nubbin, in the next few years. It was never a Rich Man's Hobby, just an expensive one. (Ever see a Hot Rod at Davos?) So, as most of the current Hobbyists move on, it will simply collapse of it's own overblown excess. 

(I am 59, so these are supposedly my age cohort)

I'm 61, so have seniority on being grouchy.  So many other factors have created dysfunctional families.  I watched my (now ex) girlfriend try everything to please her daughter, to no avail, some people are just conditioned to be snowflakes.  Enjoy your life, long as you aren't doing actual harm to others, carry on.

I'm getting there about being turned off by some of the vehicles people create.  I bet some are lotto winners.  Same people aren't effected by the war on fossil fuel.  I know this isn't sustainable, enjoy the ride while it lasts.  'Merica 🇺🇸

• Haha 1

Everyone!! Please remember the language rules we have in place. Go back and read them again if you forgot.

Please go back and edit your posts if you are one of the offenders, (this includes the title of the thread). Posts that are not edited by Saturday morning will be removed (which may be the entire thread).

• Dpate changed the title to BAD TO THE BONE! Custom muscle cars! Sure to get the goosebumps going.

Seriously? It’s not like we’re using the  F word. Those are typical language used in everyday life. Nobody is really offended by language used here. Your language policy sucks and petty. Politics I understand but language? Give me a break. We’re all adults here. Treat us as adults, not children.

8 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Pfffftttt..... at 57 yrs old and 32 years at my current job (planning on retiring in 3 years mind you), I’ve been grumpy, grouchy, and a bona fide resident a***** at my place of employment.... you got nothing over me. ROFL!! Too many snowflakes/entitled folks who think they know it all at my place of employment. Not to mention too many chiefs, not enough Indians if you get my drift. Two stupid bosses that like to micro-manage their staff. I’m basically one of the Last of the Mohicans / Last of the Dinosaurs of people with the most years in.

You living in NY wins!  I'm self-employed, so I can chew out the help and complain about the boss at the same time!  I have to deal with building departments, so don't get me going.

15 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Seriously? It’s not like we’re using the  F word. Those are typical language used in everyday life. Nobody is really offended by language used here. Your language policy sucks and petty. Politics I understand but language? Give me a break. We’re all adults here. Treat us as adults, not children.

Point taken but there just more than adults here and some adults can find some types of language offensive and there are rules posted and agreed upon when joining the forum and as adults we need and should follow rules .....