Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boats, Yea or Nay

Merk

Boats offer some interesting possibilities and just as wide of styles as automobiles or trucks. Should they have their own section here on the forum? Not sure, but not completely against either. I know many here build many other types of models, Military, Aircraft, action figures and Ships, along with others.   

4 hours ago, JollySipper said:

You mean models, right? I've built one to completion (minus rigging) after one failed attempt at another kit.........

1154683402_finalship001.JPG.7696e5d67908f59aeaad48523f47f362.JPG

Nice, It's a beauty. I hadn't thought about ships I was thinking trailer boats. Welcome aboard. got me wondering about the difference between a ship and a boat so I Googled it. Everyone agrees a ship is larger than a boat but how large? I Liked Wikipedia definition. " a ship can carry a boat, but a boat can't carry a ship.

Is that the Mayflower ?

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I would think they would go in the "all the rest" section. 

Hello : I was a bit vague with my opening because I wanted some first impressions on any boat subject.

Thanks or your thoughts.

I'm comfortable with categories' as they are.

Edited by Merk

Hi guys: Had the Mayflower on my mind because we had a discussion on the subject at this weekend's car show. Plymouth had the Mayflower on their cars for years. Had a 48, it had the Mayflower coming at you on the grill, traveling with you on the hood and hubcaps, going away on the taillights.

I'm going to build one eventually, I just have to look more into the changes I need to make. My grandfather was aboard CV-19, the Hancock, in the late 50s. By the time he was on it the Essex class carrier's were getting mods and the Hancock got the hurricane bow, angled flight deck, and the better of the available steam catapults. The old Renwal Shangri-la is very close to how the Hancock ended up but the elevator is in the wrong spot. Some of the Essex carriers had their elevator right behind the con tower and on others they were closer to the stern. I can't remember which one the Renwal kit has but it's wrong for the Hancock so I have to move it. I also want to build the plane he was a flight mechanic on, an A-7B Corsair II from VF-154. I have both kits, just need to focus on them.

4 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

Boats ?

YES !

https://i.postimg.cc/TwJwFGrV/100-0482-zps50beb93f.jpg

I will build anything , ships offer a different kind of frustration.... errr... I mean FUN...

Submarines have always been a bit scary with the close quarters and dark waters. Not too bad in scale but years ago I went through the U-505 exhibit at CHICAGO MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY. It was tight. There was video of the capture on the high seas. Those guys were tough.

U-505 Submarine - Museum of Science and Industry (msichicago.org)

Nice work on the U-217

59 minutes ago, Merk said:

Submarines have always been a bit scary with the close quarters and dark waters. Not too bad in scale but years ago I went through the U-505 exhibit at CHICAGO MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY. It was tight. There was video of the capture on the high seas. Those guys were tough.

U-505 Submarine - Museum of Science and Industry (msichicago.org)

Nice work on the U-217

I think Revell at one time had a model of a submarine with a fully detailed interior. Now that would be cool!

I enjoy models of other subjects (planes, tanks, ships, helicopters), but I don't build them because I don't have a working knowledge of how all the details are supposed to look. I can't get into super-detailing them and custom isn't in their vocabulary. 

I remember a looonnngg time ago, a friend gave me a built up of a Huey Hog molded in olive green. Being a car guy, I wanted to repaint it...

In metallic burgundy!

Not exactly the best idea in taste. I never did that again. And the helicopter ended up in the junk heap soon after that.

So, I guess I'm one of those who eats, drinks and breathes cars. Trucks too!

Maybe someday, if I'm inspired.

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think Revell at one time had a model of a submarine with a fully detailed interior. Now that would be cool!

Revell did two German WWII submarines with an interior. One was U-47, a Type VII in 1/125, and the other was a Type XXI in 1/144.

Renwal did a couple of 1960s US SSBNs with a vertical clamshell opening hull (in some cases clear plastic). The one I have is USS George Washington (SSBN 598). This one is 1/200. The kit was released under several different names and classes, but I think they were pretty much the same kit. The "41 for Freedom" SSBNs varied quite a bit in length and appearance. All the above kits do get reissued from time to time.

I don't know of any modern submarine kits with an interior. 

I don't recall having ever built a boat or even a ship, but I do admire those who build those great old wooden ships from the past. I even like those wooden small boats and even to fiberglass ones. I don't think I could ever muster up the patience to do one of those big old sailing ships. This 1/20 van is still making me pull my hair out. 😖

They sure have some fantastic LARGE scale models at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax. I went there on my recent trip to the east coast. This is the Empress of Britain and is about 10ft. long, and the Titanic.

B1E6518C-3DC3-4A0E-87D5-B9F5D946058F.jpeg

C88329B7-86E0-4390-8069-799C837C5FCD.jpeg

Yeah. Those ship models blow me away. I remember an old episode of this show called Strange Inheritance where a guy out of (I think it was down south somewhere) died and left his kids a collection of ships that he had completely scratch built. The kids eventually found a museum of sold them off or something like that. The only ship that I can recall was one of those old weird looking iron ones from the revolutionary war. 

• Merk changed the title to Boats, Yea or Nay