Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)

Good morning Daniel.  The monster tach is looking great and will be a great addition.  Just my opinion on the scoop is that it is some what atypical. Back in the day most Super Gas racers bought commercially available scoops from the likes of A&A or Morosso, The snorkel style scoops tended to be straight and not drooped as yours is (which if my memory serves me correctly a couple of Pro Stock teams did try). The A&A scoops were two piece, base and top, with various length tops available that just screwed on. A&A also offered a base with a 7 degree upward slant to keep the top level on cars that had a nose down stance. This was my personal favorite and the one I used on my Mustang ll in 77/78. The shape and size of your scoop looks good and would be fine on the model, and it is obviously well built, It is just a little high dollar for the theme of the car, but if your guy had deep pockets, why not.

18 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Good morning Daniel.  The monster tach is looking great and will be a great addition.  Just my opinion on the scoop is that it is some what atypical. Back in the day most Super Gas racers bought commercially available scoops from the likes of A&A or Morosso, The snorkel style scoops tended to be straight and not drooped as yours is (which if my memory serves me correctly a couple of Pro Stock teams did try). The A&A scoops were two piece, base and top, with various length tops available that just screwed on. A&A also offered a base with a 7 degree upward slant to keep the top level on cars that had a nose down stance. This was my personal favorite and the one I used on my Mustang ll in 77/78. The shape and size of your scoop looks good and would be fine on the model, and it is obviously well built, It is just a little high dollar for the theme of the car, but if your guy had deep pockets, why not.

I appreciate this input. My favorite of the ones I've tried is the "bubble" type, like in the later Pro Stock kits. That one looks best, but, it's not in my timeline. I'll likely go with one of the more standard designs, built from the thinner sheet. I'm guessing that the theory behind this design was to create a "ram" effect, from air coming off the car's nose? I wish I still had a few of those old National Dragsters, from back then.

I got the tach wired and mounted to the dash. I originally printed a 5" gauge, but decided there was no way it was going to fit, up there! So I ended up with this 3 1/4" tach. I found a couple of wiring diagrams that showed black, yellow and green, so I used Detail Master detailing wire, to replicate that. I have some armature wire that's smaller, but getting paint to stick to it just doesn't happen!🙂

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Tach Completed, Installed (10/08)

Because I want nothing to do with a repeat of the paint on the '53 'Vette, I'm not about to just start shooting paint on this promo-body plastic, only to have the primer attack the plastic surface of the body...again! Also, I need to prevent the red plastic from leaching into the Mulsanne Blue paint. I have seen Bill Geary mention using Zinsser B-I-N to protect against bleed-through, and to protect plastic from too-hot paint.

Since I was grocery shopping yesterday afternoon at Walmart, I decided to check the paint aisle, to see what was available. I found a spray can of another Zinsser product, and decided to try it out. In order to avoid any snafus, I taped off a square in the middle of the roof, where any damage that might be done would be easy to fix. It turned out that I didn't need to worry. It went on thinly enough and sands easily. It also blocks the red. Success! Next, I'll just shoot it on a scrap body, and shoot a bit of the blue over it, to make sure that's safe.

I sanded the wipers off the cowl. I need to scribe in the vent lines, where the wipers were. I have a few more mold lines to clean up, too, before it's ready for a guide coat. It's coming along! Questions, comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Testing Paint Stuff (10/09)
7 hours ago, Randy D said:

Looking good with this one Daniel!!   Most excellent work creating the tin work.

Like that new toy for your lathe:)

Randy 

Thank you, Randy. I appreciate that, a ton! I really love working with sheet metal, and am inspired by your Birdcage--the bodywork you've done for that is incredible! The dragster bodies I do, have nothing on that. 🙂 

I wanted that new toy, so I can turn tapered exhaust pipes without rotating the headstock. It's much easier, this way! It's bound to come in handy for a few other things, too.😀 Thanks for stopping by.

I got some parting line removal taken care of, and an initial coat of primer on the body. The area along the hatch, on both sides was really sunken, and/or the molds were worn enough that I had to go looking for pictures to make sure GM hadn't changed the shape of that body line/contour. They hadn't, so I started sanding away, until I got it to this point. I removed the wipers. I still need to scribe in the vent lines, where the wipers were.. I also have a couple of other spots in panel lines that need to be addressed. Of course, there's the typical stuff you never notice until the first coat of primer's on the car. I tested the Mulsanne Blue over the Zinsser, on a set of red-molded window louvers I had in the parts box. No ill-effects, there! Anyway, here are a few shots of the car, in white primer.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--First Primer Coats (10/10)
4 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The body is really starting to come together, well done

Thank you, Ian. I think I finally have a hood scoop! I used a base from one of the Monogram Pro Stock kits. I cut 5/32" from its height. I then built the top section from .020" strip and sheet. It's been smoothed, and the "boxing in" has been done at the rear of the scoop. I think it looks pretty decent! Here's the blue, over the Zinsser, too.

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--New Hood Scoop (10/11)
19 hours ago, John B. said:

WOW! The detail in the interior is incredible - I'm learning a lot just by following your build!

Thank you, John Michael. I always hope that other modelers can find something useful in my projects! I'm glad you are. Thanks, again!

3 hours ago, sflam123 said:

WOW!!  Just WOW!!  Beautiful work on this project!

Thank you, Stephen. Appreciate that!

2 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Both of the scoops you have made look very good but the second one is the more typical style found at the local track or points meets where we normally saw Super Gas run.

I agree, and always did, but wasn't really finding the right pieces to put together. Then, I opened a box of partial kits, and, there were three or four of the old Monogram Pro Stockers! I just cut the scoop so it wasn't as tall, then pieced it together with some .020" strip and sheet. I am in the process of cutting a hole in the hood for the scoop. It will mount to a section of sheet, so that it will look like the hood fits around the bas of the scoop--just like it ought to! Thanks much for your input with this thing!

On today's exciting episode: Dan gets the hood opening cut, for the scoop!

In order to make the hood and scoop appear correct, I needed to cut an opening that's shaped like the scoop's bottom. I then installed a thin sheet of plastic to "bottom" the opening, and a couple of strips of .030" stock to support the scoop. This gives the appearance of the hood sitting over the base of the scoop, as it should. Simple enough, and gets the job done! Questions, critiques and comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Hood Scoop Installed (10/11)

It might be kind of a big deal: paint! I took the Vega and the can of automotive touch-up spray Mulsanne Blue outside with me, so I had more room than the paint booth, and better, more natural light to shoot under. Now, it can gas out a few days, while I decide what I want to do, graphically, beyond teal and purple--I need to figure how I want to lay out the stripes. It's getting closer. I have to admit, I am concerned, a bit, about getting the interior in--man, it's a tight squeeze, the way the body undercuts! Anybody got a shoehorn?😁

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Feeling Blue. Mulsanne Blue! (10/15)

I have designed the decals and printed them. This is a test print, pasted to the car with a couple of dabs of tacky glue. I revised the hood decal, for the final print. It will fit better than this test version. I still have more to design, but, the main graphics are done! Questions, comments, suggestions and critiques are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Graphic Designs (10/16)
On 10/16/2022 at 7:35 AM, Ian McLaren said:

I like the graphics

Thank you, sir. I applied some of the decals--the major components of the graphics, at least. I may have to remove the center section of the hood decal, and replace it (I printed spares), if it doesn't settle down. I made a small change in the stripes, adding the tribute to my Dad that is on all my race cars, save a couple of early ones.  I have a couple of more local sponsors to put on it, and body trim, etc. Anyway...here's how it looks with the decals on. I am really happy with the scheme! I think it looks pretty "'80s"!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)