Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drop Top 1969 Barracuda

spencer1984

This started out as the AMT "Street Muscle" release of the old MPC '69 fastback coupe. I cut off the roof and made a new deck, and modified the interior with custom front buckets and a scratch built rear bench. The top boot is a modified item from my parts box, and the wheels are Revell Starsky & Hutch Torino Ansens with parts box tires and Fireball Modelworks decals. The grilles in this kit always looked too small to me in this kit, so I scratch built a new set with PE mesh and clear headlights. Paint is Tamiya TS-87 Titanium Gold for the body and TS-69 Linoleum Deck Brown for the interior. While it's far from a perfect execution, it was a surprisingly enjoyable build so I'm happy with the results regardless. As always, any comments/criticisms are welcome!

levitating_cuda_01.jpg.c8d5144f23d05c0a15c8164cbb275331.jpg

levitating_cuda_02.jpg.59c18b1d4f4cc791db7c8e3290e1c61b.jpg

levitating_cuda_03.jpg.4c78bcaffb1aa7a7beab4b4f8deb4025.jpg

levitating_cuda_04.jpg.972bc5c39f3767a45c2e4aa12b3ad77c.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks all!

11 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking build and changing the rear deck from a Fastback body style had to be fun. 

I was expecting a much harder fight since bodywork is what usually trips me up, but this went far smoother than I expected.

1 hour ago, Mopar - D said:

I also like how you fixed the front grill. 

Thanks! I feel like it could use a little more refining the next time I try it, but I definitely like it better than the kit parts. Between this and their '62 Corvette, it seems AMT had a thing for tiny headlights.