Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite live performance.

Mike C.

I don't know why but X came to mind. John has about the coolest P-bass I've ever seen That guitar is going in the rock n roll hall of fame someday. I sold one similar to it (a black sunburst) many years ago. Luckily my good friend still has it out in L.A. It's worth crazy money now. Good to see these guys are still at it after all these years. Original lineup too.

Edited by Mike C.
  • Thanks 1

Favorite that I've seen? Two from the 80s come to mind, Lou Reed playing the Masonic Temple after New York came out, just him on accoustic guitar. Nick Cave doing an accoustic show with a piano at the now defunct Pine Street Theater...and my 1st show after the Covid experience, my 1st concert after 2 years, Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls at the Roseland Theater in July. Part of his 50 States in 50 Days Tour...it was definitely a Gathering. 

• Like 1

I think there is a fav concert thread somewhere on here.

But anyway........

Best- all the Scorpions concerts I've been too. Going to fly to Vegas in April to see them there during their month long live in tour. And now going to Chicago on Sept 1st to see them again. I think that makes 17-18 times I've seen them live. 

Loudest- Judas Priest.

Best sounding- Bod Seager.

Best seats- Aerosmith -2nd row center. 

Met the band- Foreigner. Foreigner 4 tour 1981. After the show the band went to a restaurant that a friend's brother worked there and surprised us. 

So many other concerts. 

10 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

Favorite that I've seen? Two from the 80s come to mind, Lou Reed playing the Masonic Temple after New York came out, just him on accoustic guitar. Nick Cave doing an accoustic show with a piano at the now defunct Pine Street Theater...and my 1st show after the Covid experience, my 1st concert after 2 years, Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls at the Roseland Theater in July. Part of his 50 States in 50 Days Tour...it was definitely a Gathering. 

Huge Nick Cave fan. Loved when he was on Austin City Limits.

• Like 2

One of my alltime favorites, Randy Newman's 2013 R&RHOF induction performance with friends Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, and John Fogerty. But wait, there's more! In the backing band you can also spot Waddy Wachtel, Paul Shaffer, and the rest of the World's Most Dangerous Band. 

• Like 2

In the late 1980's, the best show I'd been to was The Vandals and the U.K. Subs. 
Mind-bendingly loud and energised -- wonder why my hearing went bad prematurely?

1990 Benson & Hedges Blues Festival - Costa Mesa Amphitheatre 
John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Dr. John, and Stevie Ray Vaughn's send-to-last performance.

Recent times: Marty Stewart & His Fabulous Superlatives 
La Mirada Theatre, 15.04.2022 

Marty owns and regularly plays Clarence White's White-Parsons B-Bender
He and his band play a nice range of songs, from Bluegrass to Rock to Psychedelic to Surf - extremely versatile!
Their take on Psychotic Reaction (Count Five's 1966 one hit wonder) is dynamite, as is their rendition of Pretty Boy Floyd.

Here's Psychotic Reaction (different performance than the one I was at)

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

image.jpg.b6cfd9dc370aa6f9be3291ad62c7768c.jpg

I'd pay to see that line up.

Best Show AC/DC in Knoxville, TN on 10/2/79, 4 months before Bon Scott died on 2/19, my wife's birthday. We got married on 10/2/82. Ironic coincidence. At 78, they're still my favorite band.

Best Band that sounded exactly like their first album, Little River Band

Best show, meaning lights and sound, Blue Oyster Cult.

Edited by Miatatom

I haven't been to a lot of concerts. Maybe a dozen. But the best concert I've been to was back in '86. It was Ozzy's Ultimate Sin tour, at the Bayfront center in St. Petersburg, Florida. 

Ozzy was terrific, his band totally on point, but what made a great show, was that Queensryche opened the show. They played for like an hour before Ozzy came on and they were astounding. It was like having two headliners for the show. 

The sound and lights was perfect. Randy Castillo on drums and Jake E. Lee on guitar were total standouts with mind blowing solos. 

Ozzy Osbourne ‎– The Ultimate Sin (1986)

Edited by Jantrix

So many great live musical performances took place in the studio where they used to shoot Later With Jools. I really missed catching that show. I can't remember which network I used to watch it on here in the states, but it was originally a BBC show. There would always be a cool mix of bands on every episode. one great on that comes to mind is this one from Spiritualized.

• Like 1

My fav concerts so far, in no particular order, except for #1:

1. Rammstein - Leibe Ist Fur Alle Da tour. THE best live band in existence. Period.

2. Metallica. Damaged Justice tour. The Cult opened. 1989

3. Muse. 2nd Law tour 2013

4. Roger Waters. The Wall. 2012

5. Faith No More. Sol Invictus tour 2015

6. Depeche Mode. Global Spirit tour 2017

-Lollapalooza 1992, Waterloo Village, NJ.

It’s where I became a huge fan of Tool and Stone Temple Pilots. The Red Hot Chili Peppers absolutely brought down the house. And I still have the Ministry “Jesus Built My Hotrod” tee shirt with the 440 Six Pack on it. “No man with a good car needs to be justified.”

-Black Crowes, The Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA 2012.

5 solid hours of some of the best, live, blues based, Southern rock I will ever witness. The band was positively flawless and Chris Robinson sang like he was possessed. Thinking about the 20 minute version of Hotel Illness still gives me chills.

On 8/28/2022 at 6:37 AM, Mike C. said:

Another favorite from Later With Jools Holand

It's not often that one encounters a fan of Pulp (or Brit-Pop in general). 
Lots of 1990's Mod Revivalists 
were keen on the likes of Pulp, Charlatans UK, Suede, etc., etc.; many of me peers turned me on to some of that stuff (I was more into 60's Freak Beat, Psychedelic, Soul, R&B, Motown,70's Punk - especially the NYC bands - and other oddities). 

It’s Gotta be Sabbath.The tickets were free,given to me by a friend who couldn't make the show.,And now I hear that the 73 year old,Prince of Darkness,Ozzy and his wife, Sharon have had it with living in LA.They are moving back to the UK.🤨,which really sucks.Ozzy said,and I quote”I don’t want to die in the US”.He mentioned that there’s way too much gun violence in America.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

It's not often that one encounters a fan of Pulp (or Brit-Pop in general). 
Lots of 1990's Mod Revivalists 
were keen on the likes of Pulp, Charlatans UK, Suede, etc., etc.; many of me peers turned me on to some of that stuff (I was more into 60's Freak Beat, Psychedelic, Soul, R&B, Motown,70's Punk - especially the NYC bands - and other oddities). 

Did you say Suede?

• Thanks 1

Blondie on Letterman, 2004. My favorite part of this performance is the drummer. He's a machine! Headphones on, eyes closed tight, he's doin' his thing and pays no attention whatsoever to anyone else. For all we know, he could be drumming to some completely different song. And he's perfect! Fantastic! 

I always liked that song Maria from when they made they're first or 2nd comeback.  Today. every time somebody says the name Maria, I start singing this song and people are like "Who does that song" and I'm like Blondie. Then they are always like "You mean the One Way Or Another Blondie?" I'm like Bingo! This song is a serious earworm kind of song.

One good thing about being, ahem, older, is that it's hard to pick the best concerts. So here is my list:

• Jimi Hendrix, Charlie Musselwhite, and Iron Butterfly at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds
  • Grateful Dead at Winterland
  • Leonard Bernstein conducting the NY Philharmonic
  • Julian Bream at the Masonic Hall in SF
  • Weather Report at the Berkeley Jazz Festival
  • Al DiMeola at BJF
  • Joni Mitchel with Herbie Hancock at BJF
  • Tragically Hip at the Belly Up
  • Sharon van Etten at the Belly Up
  • Dick Dale at the Belly Up

There's one more, but there's a long story attached to that one. And yes, I have eclectic tastes in music.

• Like 1