Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1981 Chevy Stepside Pickup Sod Buster (1:25 SCALE)

av405

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

one of the dirtbikes has been re-released in the past by Round2 

See the source image

Personally I would like to see them releasing like a dirt bike racing team set, featuring the two bikes, the MPC 4x4 Ford van as a mobile repair and towing vehicle, and a trailer to put the bikes on, only one problem I don't think they have a trailer in their backcatalog so.......nice to dream ;)

22 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

This Right Here!

We know that the tooling for at least one dirt bike is ready to go. Throw one in the back of the Stepside.

Or, as Luc says, release a Dirt Bike Race Team. I'd prefer a pickup to a Van, but the Dodge, Chevy and Ford Vans, have all been molded in the recent past. I'm not sure about a trailer, but maybe the trailer from the recent '63 Wagon could hold a bike or two. Throw in a sprue full of tool from one of the recent "Top Shop" tool sets, and you have a complete Dio-in-a-Box.

I think this trailer would be perfect. Include one of their new garage scene sets with tool boxes etc and Bob's your uncle!

Display Case Trailer, AMT/ERTL 8216 (1998)

AMT Garage Accessory Set #1 1:25 Scale Model Kit | Round2

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

This Right Here!

We know that the tooling for at least one dirt bike is ready to go. Throw one in the back of the Stepside.

Or, as Luc says, release a Dirt Bike Race Team. I'd prefer a pickup to a Van, but the Dodge, Chevy and Ford Vans, have all been molded in the recent past. I'm not sure about a trailer, but maybe the trailer from the recent '63 Wagon could hold a bike or two. Throw in a sprue full of tool from one of the recent "Top Shop" tool sets, and you have a complete Dio-in-a-Box.

Not the MPC Ford Van, which is a 4x4 or better……the tool can be ran as one, it also had a side opening door with glas, so it can show off a workshop (which isn’t in the kit) and also IMHO, a van is a much better canvas for art work, therefore my choice, but it kinda depends on having a usable trailer for two bikes.

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Awesome, thanks for letting me know Mike,  who's doing them?

George is his US connection and seems to be able to restock fairly quickly, saves on shipping. I have dealt with George before on other kits/parts and he is a stand up guy, don't hesitate to order from him.

Edited by mikemodeler
  • Like 1

I'd like to see Round2 take this kit a step further and do a LWB fleetside 2wd. I think it's the perfect subject to do it with. With simple grille changes, they could do the years from '81-'87. They could do all kinds of mixing and matching. They could use the short bed fleetside from the GMC for the short chassis. It would just need a tailgate or even simpler, a decal. Lots of possibilities IMO.  

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I'd like to see Round2 take this kit a step further and do a LWB fleetside 2wd. I think it's the perfect subject to do it with. With simple grille changes, they could do the years from '81-'87. They could do all kinds of mixing and matching. They could use the short bed fleetside from the GMC for the short chassis. It would just need a tailgate or even simpler, a decal. Lots of possibilities IMO.  

If I remember correctly, the initial word that came out with the announcement of this kit is that they would go for multiple variations down the road. You have to figure that investment in creating new/improved parts is already a good sign. I don't know if a LWB is in the cards, we will have to wait and see.

Edited by av405

10 hours ago, GRiN said:

How about the 1/16th version of this? I have an original that could use some love and a few parts.

A glue kit of the 1/16 Chevy C/K pickups was announced, then cancelled (c.1980). Instead, the "snap" together C-20 (maybe C-30) series was released (Action Snaps), which included a long bed fleetside with snowplow.
I'd love to see that version reissued! 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

A glue kit of the 1/16 Chevy C/K pickups was announced, then cancelled (c.1980). Instead, the "snap" together C-20 (maybe C-30) series was released (Action Snaps), which included a long bed fleetside with snowplow.
I'd love to see that version reissued! 

Despite their size, these tend to be a bit crude in detail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154446745731?hash=item23f5be5083:g:HxYAAOSwC0FgmCTQ

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Despite their size, these tend to be a bit crude in detail.

I can't argue the detail - or lack thereof - point. I'd still like to see at least the fleetside snowplow reissued, as it's the closest to stock. Anyone can add a 1/16 scale SBC (or BBC), etc., and better tyres and rims, and have a nice shelf sitter. 

27 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I can't argue the detail - or lack thereof - point. I'd still like to see at least the fleetside snowplow reissued, as it's the closest to stock. Anyone can add a 1/16 scale SBC (or BBC), etc., and better tyres and rims, and have a nice shelf sitter. 

IIRC, that snow plow is just as crude as the chassis in the that truck. Have to applaud Revell, they got the setup in that GMC truck pretty dang close. Will be interesting to see the Moebius plow set up they have coming.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that needs to be addressed, especially on this kit, is the cab corners. 

951317656_2022-11-3009_05_19.jpg.d74e09ac05b737325406a211636a7870.jpg

That sticks out like a sore thumb! It's not necessary to get the interior in either. So, I don't know why it's there. That notch is even visible on the GMC with the fleetside bed. It can be fixed pretty easily. But, it would be nice to not have to.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

One thing that needs to be addressed, especially on this kit, is the cab corners. 

951317656_2022-11-3009_05_19.jpg.d74e09ac05b737325406a211636a7870.jpg

That sticks out like a sore thumb! It's not necessary to get the interior in either. So, I don't know why it's there. That notch is even visible on the GMC with the fleetside bed. It can be fixed pretty easily. But, it would be nice to not have to.

Pretty sure it's a relief put there so that you can get the interior tub to fit inside during assembly. I would imagine it's the same reason Revell makes the rear wall of the cab a separate piece.

22 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

Just wait for the MPC blazer to come back, im sure it will 

Do you mean the snap kit? If I remember correctly, it was either a curbside, or the engine detail left a lot to be desired. They did build up to be pretty nice looking though. If they would address these issues, I would be all over at least one kit.

R (32).jpg

R (31).jpg

35 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Pretty sure it's a relief put there so that you can get the interior tub to fit inside during assembly. I would imagine it's the same reason Revell makes the rear wall of the cab a separate piece.

Like I stated, it's not necessary to get the interior to fit. The interior will literally fall in or out. 

39 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Do you mean the snap kit? If I remember correctly, it was either a curbside, or the engine detail left a lot to be desired. They did build up to be pretty nice looking though. If they would address these issues, I would be all over at least one kit.

Here's a thread from upteen years ago (just over 15 years ago!):