Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 68 Mustang GT 2n1 kit

SteveG

5 hours ago, Eshaver said:

I'm gonna wait until these go on clearance.

Not sure if you have Michael's store in VA, but these kits have been in stock there for years, and they always have the 40% (and sometimes a 50% and 60%) off coupon to use...

On 2/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, bytownshaker said:

I also have one waiting to be built. i'm doing Sandy Elliot's  " Border Bandit" SS/F Mustang72fa5cc02b8779314d8a74e83f50b8a6.jpg.8139ddebc9e91928552b6c1fddc119b5.jpg662b08c713d76d344c3bdbd20f40eae7.jpg.966c902fbbba0f7d0810bb8aadd83e78.jpg

Somebody (Perry's Resin?) had decals for this one and I think it was made for the AMT kit.  Always thought it would be a good counterbalance to the all white factory Cobras.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, Eshaver said:

I'm gonna wait until these go on clearance . I worked on the 1-1's as they came off the transporter installing radios , hubcaps and tuning them as half the time , they barely ran well enough to idle . Had this been a Cougar , well.........

I worked in a muffler shop in the early '70s and we did quite a few of these where we would remove the cross flow muffler by cutting the pipe at the start of the bend into the muffler and in front of the chrome tip and making up a pipe to go between the two. This made a really aggressive sounding exhaust and unless you got a real intelligent officer you could even pass it off as factory stock, as is it was still quieter than the Boss Mustang's were and in California you could get away with stating that it was a Boss muffler replacement and they would pass it. Under the CHP testing standards at the time a Boss tested at 108db  with the decibel meter 45 degrees from the exhaust outlet at 50 feet away, it was curious that their list had this system as the loudest production system available for any car. Even louder than the Corvettes with the big block side exhaust.

• 6 months later...

I have decided to build a revell 1968 mustang fastback kit. i had been planning on doing a nice 1966 gt350r kit, but against my better judgement, i have decided to do the 68 instead.

I say against my better judgement because i hate, hate, hate how revell did the chassis of this kit. first having to use a screw to put it together, and then metal bars for the wheels. i expected better.  However, the 67 AMT kit is probably worse with the fitting of the bumpers, both front and rear, and i feel i can make a better overall looking kit.

With that being said, are there any donor kits that have a better quality chassis that i could use in place of the one screws/metal bars that will look accurate? 

Are there any other fitment issues that i am not remembering? I think other than the chassis, it was a decent kit right? i hope so because i bought 1968 acapulco blue paint that is supposed to be dead on accurate, and it wasnt cheap :)

Edited by youpey

I just finished building Revell's '68 Mustang within the last month. Despite what everybody says, I think it's a very nice kit overall. The metal can barely be seen on the finished kit. And the screws don't bother me at all. They're a lot smaller, and less obvious than the screws on a lot of old kits from the 1960's. Everything went together and looked just fine in the end. 

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

i got the 68 kit in the mail yesterday and the front bumper is just not lining up with the rest of the car. its pretty significant in size difference. too much to sand down. i didnt remember this being a problem on the last one i bought, but i didnt finish that one. 

well, the AMT 67, the one i thought was horrible, is actually better than this one. i guess i will just build that one instead.