Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run-What-You-Brung Build Thread

White Rabbit

25 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

Not much left to finish,  do need to make a fuel cell to mount under the bed and a box for the battery.

Looks fantastic! Love the contrast between the rusty bodywork and purposeful chassis and running gear.

Probably the last WIP update from me. Probably not going to finish it in daylight hours today, and to be honest it is rather grey out there so it's not worth rushing. Hopefully I can do a lunchtime photoshoot during the week.

IMG_8996.JPG.973db066e5e4adc4a9ec4aa17162b25c.JPG

Apart from decals this is it. The exhaust parts are from a Fujimi accessory set, once it's assembled I need to work out some longer tailpipes as the Accord has a longer rear overhang than the NSX.

IMG_9006.JPG.216dd5cfbd01aa75ed6e1b376dfc9cf7.JPG

Roof rails and sunroof dropped into place, not yet fitted. Cage worked out OK and I fitted a fire extinguisher that came with the same Corolla kit.

IMG_9011.JPG.fbe47aedb7b5225dfaea9e22bc2084b1.JPG

Engine cover is in progress. Brakes are fitted, wheel installation 95% sorted - I'll leave final fitment until the body and chassis are together so I can make sure they're in the right place relative to the arches.

Panel lines need a bit more work - unfortunately the polish residue is rather stubborn....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks fantastic! Love the contrast between the rusty bodywork and purposeful chassis and running gear.

Probably the last WIP update from me. Probably not going to finish it in daylight hours today, and to be honest it is rather grey out there so it's not worth rushing. Hopefully I can do a lunchtime photoshoot during the week.

IMG_8996.JPG.973db066e5e4adc4a9ec4aa17162b25c.JPG

Apart from decals this is it. The exhaust parts are from a Fujimi accessory set, once it's assembled I need to work out some longer tailpipes as the Accord has a longer rear overhang than the NSX.

IMG_9006.JPG.216dd5cfbd01aa75ed6e1b376dfc9cf7.JPG

Roof rails and sunroof dropped into place, not yet fitted. Cage worked out OK and I fitted a fire extinguisher that came with the same Corolla kit.

IMG_9011.JPG.fbe47aedb7b5225dfaea9e22bc2084b1.JPG

Engine cover is in progress. Brakes are fitted, wheel installation 95% sorted - I'll leave final fitment until the body and chassis are together so I can make sure they're in the right place relative to the arches.

Panel lines need a bit more work - unfortunately the polish residue is rather stubborn....

Nigel, I love the concept and execution of this car looks like a real sleeper great work!

• Thanks 1

Great job everyone! We're currently at 14 completed builds!

There's just a few days to go!

Updated list also showing who has already posted in the Finished Build thread 

Build completed: 🏁

Build posted in finished thread: 🚙

Entry List

1. '56 Chevy (426 pack)

2. Chevy Chevelle (Mattilacken)⏸️

3. Porsche 918 Spyder (MeatMan)

4. '37 Ford Custom Convertible (Jantrix)

5. '16 Mercedes AMG GT (White Rabbit)🚙 🏁

6. Dodge Viper RT/10 (LL3 Model Worx)

7. '70 Plymouth Road Runner (KWT)🚙🏁

8. '66 Shelby GT350 Convertible (Fat Brian)🚙🏁

9. '68 FRC Chevy Corvette (Whosurdaddy209)

10. '66 Mercury (Sam I Am)🏁

11. '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 or '67 Streaker Vette (JerseeJerry55)

12A. '71 Plymouth GTX (Keef)🚙🏁

12B. Shelby Mustang (Keef)

13. Dodge L-xxx (vekasiini)🚙🏁

14. Honda Accord (Spottedlaurel)🚙🏁

15. Volkswagen Scirocco (Tim08)🚙🏁

16. Chevy Nova SS (53gmc) 🚙🏁

17. '62 Buick Electra (Belugawrx)

18. Pontiac Firebird (Beans)

19. El Camino Camper (shoemake)

20. '53 Ford Victoria (Phildauplo)🚙🏁

21. Nissan Skyline NISMO R34 GT-R (Jhedir6)

22. '54 Corvette (kermn8r)

23. '81 Chevy Citation (Westrods)

24. Toyota Supra (JerseeJerry55)

25. Ford Ranchero (Canso65)

26. '77 Chevy Malibu (Cheyenne93)

27. '66 Volkswagen Beetle (Tim H)

28. '51 Chevy Bel Air (landman)🚙🏁

29. '01 Corvette Coupe (SmallRed63)

30. Fox Body Mustang GT (Dominik)

31. '40 Ford Pickup (Pat Minarick)🚙🏁

32. '65 Ford Galaxie X (Koellefornia)🚙🏁

33. '69 Chevy Camaro (Disconovaman)🚙🏁

34. '70 Pontiac Firebird (bill_67)

Edited by White Rabbit

Final shots to come in the completed builds thread, but I'm there with my Accord/NSX mutation:

IMG_9016.JPG.ba1f95bf2933f97b03991afc1127eff3.JPG

For the engine bay cover I took inspiration from the folding boot floor in my 1:1 daily driver. With it opening up like this I figured they could access the engine either through the rear doors, or the tailgate. And it's a Honda, so why would they need to look very often?!

IMG_9028.JPG.15ff0cfd4e2cb20cd92ecd2545dd3baa.JPG

And with it closed for normal running. Still got some loadbay at the rear plus there'd be space under the bonnet (sorry, hood).

IMG_9040.JPG.508991ddee765d6b2cf8e9047a37c6a8.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG.6dc5d8a4c93d0d941a128eea3aaa87d2.JPG

Got a final bit of cleaning-up to do before I get some better completed shots, but I can rest easy knowing I've got it finished two days before the deadline. Exhaust tailpipes have since been fitted, unusually they were the last thing whereas I normally make it the licence plates.

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 5

2001 Corvette built from the Revell '97 Corvette Coupe. I cut the rims using a dremel and a knife to mimic the Z06 style. The paint started as Tamiya X-1, then to Model Color black, and eventually settled on black spray enamel. The only things added were the bar behind the seats and the fire extinguisher on it. 

image.png.68d0c85315732b0b001e153a6f65b451.pngimage.png.2a62a846de3321c677a7fecb5335cabe.pngimage.png.e2353d43b53dd207242afcf4e79bdf85.pngimage.png.f7b82eb917c93e24fe56076d55402515.png

Edited by SmallRed63

@Fat Brian hey buddy, I don't remember if you're near an Ollie's or not but I thought about you this morning when I seen the Mustang. The Ollie's re-package bag kits Classic Cruisers line is pretty cool, they have a good selection. I love this kit and really all those old Monogram kits. 

Now here's the funny part of the story, I was walking out of the bathroom at the back of the store and glanced in the back, seen the Viking codes and descriptions on the contents on a pallet...I got an employee's attention to open them up, he then got the manager's approval to open the cases up. The manager would only sell me the three I identified and only one per case! That's Crazy unheard of... the Ollie's rule is within 48hrs of unloading the shipment, it must be on the floor. That's policy. (They've had the shipment since before Black Friday) and there's cases and cases of even more options. These are only the ones I pointed out! The manager said flat out he couldn't let me buy more than that. He's sketchy What's going on here? 😆 Anyways, be looking for the Mustang and more if you have an Ollie's near you.

20231201_092642.jpg

• Like 1

The finished builds are looking great, everyone! Just a few more hours of build time left; so there's still time to put the finishing touches to your contenders and have them ready for the Finished Builds thread.

Our total posted builds in the Finished thread is 16!

Updated list also showing who has already posted in the Finished Build thread 

Build completed: 🏁

Build posted in finished thread: 🚙

Entry List

1. '56 Chevy (426 pack)

2. Chevy Chevelle (Mattilacken)⏸️

3. Porsche 918 Spyder (MeatMan)

4. '37 Ford Custom Convertible (Jantrix)

5. '16 Mercedes AMG GT (White Rabbit)🚙 🏁

6. Dodge Viper RT/10 (LL3 Model Worx)

7. '70 Plymouth Road Runner (KWT)🚙🏁

8. '66 Shelby GT350 Convertible (Fat Brian)🚙🏁

9. '68 FRC Chevy Corvette (Whosurdaddy209)

10. '66 Mercury (Sam I Am)🏁

11. '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 or '67 Streaker Vette (JerseeJerry55)

12A. '71 Plymouth GTX (Keef)🚙🏁

12B. Shelby Mustang (Keef)

13. Dodge L-xxx (vekasiini)🚙🏁

14. Honda Accord (Spottedlaurel)🚙🏁

15. Volkswagen Scirocco (Tim08)🚙🏁

16. Chevy Nova SS (53gmc) 🚙🏁

17. '62 Buick Electra (Belugawrx)

18. Pontiac Firebird (Beans)🚙🏁

19. El Camino Camper (shoemake)

20. '53 Ford Victoria (Phildauplo)🚙🏁

21. Nissan Skyline NISMO R34 GT-R (Jhedir6)

22. '54 Corvette (kermn8r)🏁

23. '81 Chevy Citation (Westrods)

24. Toyota Supra (JerseeJerry55)

25. Ford Ranchero (Canso65)

26. '77 Chevy Malibu (Cheyenne93)

27. '66 Volkswagen Beetle (Tim H)

28. '51 Chevy Bel Air (landman)🚙🏁

29. '01 Corvette Coupe (SmallRed63)🚙🏁

30. Fox Body Mustang GT (Dominik)

31. '40 Ford Pickup (Pat Minarick)🚙🏁

32. '65 Ford Galaxie X (Koellefornia)🚙🏁

33. '69 Chevy Camaro (Disconovaman)🚙🏁

34. '70 Pontiac Firebird (bill_67)

Edited by White Rabbit

Just a reminder of some important dates:

January 1st, 12:00am: Official build start of the 2023 Cannonball Run

November 14th, 12:00am: Finished build thread opens

November 29th, 11:59pm: Last day to enter the CBR build

December 1st, 11:59pm: Official build end

December 3rd, 12:00am: Polling to elect a winner opens

December 16th, 11.59pm: Polling closes

December 17th: 2023 Winner announced

If you haven't done so already, please post your completed build through tomorrow so that you will be part of the final vote.

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

@Fat Brian hey buddy, I don't remember if you're near an Ollie's or not but I thought about you this morning when I seen the Mustang. The Ollie's re-package bag kits Classic Cruisers line is pretty cool, they have a good selection. I love this kit and really all those old Monogram kits. 

Now here's the funny part of the story, I was walking out of the bathroom at the back of the store and glanced in the back, seen the Viking codes and descriptions on the contents on a pallet...I got an employee's attention to open them up, he then got the manager's approval to open the cases up. The manager would only sell me the three I identified and only one per case! That's Crazy unheard of... the Ollie's rule is within 48hrs of unloading the shipment, it must be on the floor. That's policy. (They've had the shipment since before Black Friday) and there's cases and cases of even more options. These are only the ones I pointed out! The manager said flat out he couldn't let me buy more than that. He's sketchy What's going on here? 😆 Anyways, be looking for the Mustang and more if you have an Ollie's near you.

20231201_092642.jpg

I saw that in the Ollie's thread. There are two close by but now that I work from home mostly I don't get to stop by as much as I did. I was thinking about getting one to build a 2+2 fastback. I still have the fastback parts from the kit I used to build this year's car with so I wouldn't need anything else.

I don't know what the manager's deal was. Maybe someone mentioned to they or they noticed how the get cleaned out by resellers and they're trying to do something about it.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I don't know what the manager's deal was. Maybe someone mentioned to they or they noticed how the get cleaned out by resellers and they're trying to do something about it

Turns out a buddy of mine knows who the guy is and said he was a manager at Walmart and was doing the same thing with Hotwheels. ... my buddy said him and the guy had words, later he learned the guy was fired for being rude to customers. I don't think he's the right guy for the job needless to say lol

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Turns out a buddy of mine knows who the guy is and said he was a manager at Walmart and was doing the same thing with Hotwheels. ... my buddy said him and the guy had words, later he learned the guy was fired for being rude to customers. I don't think he's the right guy for the job needless to say lol

I remember when I worked at Kmart as a teenager the hotwheels guys would come clean us out, buying cases at a time.

• Like 1

This is entry  #22 in this year's Cannonball.  I wound up with less spare time than I thought I would this year.  I was able to scrimp enough time to build, but not enough to post progress.  I was able to get this done enough in time.   Things were going Okay up until today.  There are things I would have done differently if I had more time to work on it.  Still, the entire project was a great learning experience because of using new techniques since the last time I actually finished something.   I will post photos in the Finished build thread before voting starts. 3rd.

thumbnail.jpg

Wow! What a fantastic run this year guys. I just finished re-reading all the update posts. I just want to thank @White Rabbit for an Awesome job on organizing and keeping the CBR alive! Great job!                                                   There are some really stand out builds in the running. I love all of the builds and there's details about every single one that really jump out at me! The rear engine Honda Accord wagon! The Pontiac Ferrari V12 swap! The Non-paint job weathering on the raked Ford!... just to name a few. I'm already getting excited about the next CBR and we haven't even picked a theme yet! Thanks to all the participants also who support the CBR each year. See you all at the starting line.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! What a fantastic run this year guys. I just finished re-reading all the update posts. I just want to thank @White Rabbit for an Awesome job on organizing and keeping the CBR alive! Great job!                                                   There are some really stand out builds in the running. I love all of the builds and there's details about every single one that really jump out at me! The rear engine Honda Accord wagon! The Pontiac Ferrari V12 swap! The Non-paint job weathering on the raked Ford!... just to name a few. I'm already getting excited about the next CBR and we haven't even picked a theme yet! Thanks to all the participants also who support the CBR each year. See you all at the starting line.

Thank you for your kind words and the opportunity to moderate this year's run! It's been a great ride. I would also like to thank everyone who has participated in this year's build! I've definitely enjoyed everyone's active and enthusiastic participation as this is what makes the Cannonball Run such a great event; be in it 1:1 or 1:24 scale.

I agree that the builds this year are outstanding; both in concept and quality. It's definitely going to be a challenge to choose an overall winner. But, a winner we must choose and that will be coming soon with the polling!

• Like 1

"I nominate the... 😆😂😁

I agree, it was a very well orchestrated CBR with an effective amount of participation. I usually wait towards the end and re-read the updates. I was impressed at how easy and engaging it was to read it all. 

I didn't realize how hard it would be to vote for my favorite finished build. I can't decide yet.

Screenshot_20231203-141409_Samsung Internet.jpg