Model Cars Magazine Forum

Movie car complete......not happy with it........

Dave Van

This is a movie car....not a main Star Car but one I wanted to build. The movie car is a 79 but for my needs the re-issued Revell 81 would do....do I thought. After watching a online build of the car I picked up a copy. Built box stock other than wheels and tires to replace the plastic units and better replicate the movie car.

The online build was very positive. I knew it was a simple kit.....but I got the idea from online it was nice. My mileage differed greatly. Lots of flash, not a game killer, fit on ALL parts was poor. This kits was a snapper when it came out in the 80's does not snap any longer. And if you try and snap parts they tend to break. Most of the issues were things that could be fixed......but the window glass was horrible. Look at photos and you can make out were the clear part gap between the glass and body!!! The T tops match up well but both front and rear glass do not connect to body!! I considered tossing it in the trash a few times.....but MSRP $35 I figured I better finish it no matter. If you tackle this kit.....beware the roof will collapse with any slight pushing.

The BRIGHT spot is decals. 4 different colors of graphics and lots of dash, interior and under hood decals. This sheet and a vintage MPC kit would be GREAT!! I need to find a Monogram 79 to do a 'do over'. Thanks
If you know the movie.....post it!
Headlight decals!!

81CAMARO (4).JPG

81CAMARO (3).JPG

81CAMARO (2).JPG

• Like 3

Very nice build and now that I look at yours I may reconsider not purchasing this one previously. I think overall the body looks looks good and the two piece tires that look like oversized Life Savers prior to painting can really be made to look nice. 

I agree with you on the Monogram version and I wish they would've produced a retooled Air Induction hood for the original '79 kit. And include the '80-'81 bodyside graphics. I have an original MPC I picked up earlier this year. Overall that one looks pretty good but I doubt the 40+ year old decals are worth much at this point. 

Edited by AMT68
  • Like 1

Thanks ALL!!! It's a 12 footer.....don't get closer than 12 feet and it's fine. My post was as much to warn others too......the window issue is NOT an easy fix and one that would take more time than the kit is worth. Shame on RG putting out junk @ $35 MSRP 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave, is this the newly released ex-snapper kit that was discussed last month (just how bad it is and how high of a price it has) .  Too bad you didn't see that thread. There were lots of warnings in it.  But yours came out looking quite good (at least in the photos).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Very nice build and now that I look at yours I may reconsider not purchasing this one previously. I think overall the body looks looks good and the two piece tires that look like oversized Life Savers prior to painting can really be made to look nice. 

I agree with you on the Monogram version and I wish they would've produced a retooled Air Induction hood for the original '79 kit. And include the '80-'81 bodyside graphics. I have an original MPC I picked up earlier this year. Overall that one looks pretty good but I doubt the 40+ year old decals are worth much at this point. 

Hey Tom, if you want one I'd gladly trade for the one I have.