Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 ford 3 window coupe (60’s style)

Bullybeef

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I’m kinda really excited about this one if you could not already tell. Having already completed a 33 3 window coupe the natural progression would be to follow it up with a 34 right. 
I’ll start with a the same formula as the last and start with the old Revell snapper body and hack off the horribly short nose( some people like small noses, but no not I), the longer the snout the cooler it shall be.

Next we will mix in some amt parts for the frame and suspension, I’ve already started filling in the gaps and dimples as we want a reallly smooth frame. Engine will be a hopped up flathead, no Ardun this time as I want to use the hood sides.
lastly I haven’t fully decided yet but maybe the wheels n tires from the lil coffin. 

A lot of the parts for this build are parts bin survivors and I have no real idea of their heritage.  I’ll continue to raid the bins for cool parts to add to this.

I have not found an actual 1:1 car to replicate this time so it will be seat of the pants and purely from the grey matter inside this old noggin. 

BE1C53BB-81DB-4080-9731-564BCF9CE924.jpeg

C8F7C3E2-5901-44C2-AD07-AFD2A5A73231.jpeg

E4B57759-D08D-4839-90F9-1BEFEF731E8E.jpeg

262181C7-1EC4-414E-A1BE-4B07C67323B0.jpeg

6476676D-EAA7-4B1D-9F69-3483F0C9BB26.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks like a pair of nice Aluminum Heads on the chrome tree. Not that it matters but I noticed the upper coolant hose mounts on the Heads are on the front much like a '49 or newer Flathead. Those wheels and tires would look good. 

1 hour ago, customline said:

I love a good '34. If you use that '37 frame, how 'bout that funky grille?

I’m not a fan of that grille at all, so that will be a no from me.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Jealous. The grille you show in the pic with the wheels and tires is from the original issue of the Monogram 34 Ford 6 in 1. More of a custom grille, it is still ultra cool. Wish I had one.

image.png.f0e3f1e221b8a20fc5b380d7581cf92c.png

Well that’s good to learn, thank you and sorry for making you jealous haha

56 minutes ago, espo said:

Looks like a pair of nice Aluminum Heads on the chrome tree. Not that it matters but I noticed the upper coolant hose mounts on the Heads are on the front much like a '49 or newer Flathead. Those wheels and tires would look good. 

Yeah I’m looking at the later flatheads for sure. Still not 100% on the wheels n tires but I am at least 75% sold on them.

Well we will be ditching the stock suspension pieces for two reasons, lack of detail and the ability to modify them successfully 

I’ll be using the stock 34 frame but will upgrade to the suspension from the 37 truck. Yes it will be a heavy duty compared to passenger cars but for all intents and purposes it looks right. I did find a dropped front axle in the bins and it looks the part for me. I deepened the spring perches in the stock frame and it lowered the front and rear about 1.5 mm, the front dropped axle dropped the front a further 2.0 mm so we will have a definite improvement in ride height. 
I’ll have some more pics of the rolling chassis a bit later.

63EFD74E-2B7F-469F-A444-46A52DCE98A3.jpeg

C3896F4D-6D5B-489F-85D4-15A74438D4E6.jpeg

2F35E8AB-7115-4985-A365-0C11C1FA67A9.jpeg

F8C0AB3C-AA6D-4032-BBF7-E27342658327.jpeg

Edited by Bullybeef
Errors
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kenmojr said:

Loving the way that grey matter inside your old noggin works. Another fantastic build from the Land of Conner McDavid!

Ken there are days that I doubt the abilities of my “grey matter” haha. Like last night I hacked up three different firewalls trying to make it look better, to only go back to the first choice again. 

DA63E83B-1480-4574-BB82-2456469E64EC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Nice start! That body is just too out-of-proportion to me to use one on a build.... -RRR

Thank you triple R, I have no other source to compare it against the only other body close to it is the 34 5 window, and for all intents I can only find (besides the too short nose(and thats already been hacked and binned)) the overall length of the body matches, as does the width. But again I’m comparing apples to kumquats. For my eyes it’s as close as I’m going to get. I wish there was a better body out there.

The wheel/tire combo looks good for a late '50s or maybe early '60s show 'n' go . I think the ground clearance is good. Back around 1972 I worked with a guy at the car wash who was 10 years my senior. He drove a '60 Starliner beater. One day he shows up driving a metal flake emerald green '34 Ford, SBC powered, full fendered coupe, sans hood side panels. It was the quintessential 1963 show rod. It was quite a surprise......sorry, just reminiscing 🥴..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larman said:

That's looking good with those wheels and tires. Looks like they are from the Lil Coffin? Stance is good too! 

Good eye Larry, they are from a 70 release kit, it was missing a lot of parts, so I decided it could lose a couple more. Thank you for the kind comment.

8 minutes ago, customline said:

The wheel/tire combo looks good for a late '50s or maybe early '60s show 'n' go . I think the ground clearance is good. Back around 1972 I worked with a guy at the car wash who was 10 years my senior. He drove a '60 Starliner beater. One day he shows up driving a metal flake emerald green '34 Ford, SBC powered, full fendered coupe, sans hood side panels. It was the quintessential 1963 show rod. It was quite a surprise......sorry, just reminiscing 🥴..

Thanks Jim, I’ll do my best to keep it looking period correct haha. I have the suspension dialled to where I like it. Now it’s to finish the body work and then decide on the interior. I think I have a colour that may work and an engine that I will like. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Stance and Lil Coffin rolling stock look good!

Any chance you can center the rear wheels in the wheel wells?

I was thinking on that a little earlier this evening, and I mocked up the kit 34 5 window body to make sure it wasn’t just the revell body being a tad shorter. I think the solution is to pull the rear member 2 mm closer to the front. Or as simple as reversing the rear spring mount.

2DC69B58-C49A-4D40-8E9E-95DA0322AC9A.jpeg