Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 70 Camaro - WIP

KWT

Over the last 10 years, I've made a few lifelong friends at work... very few... One of these being the maintenance supervisor. He is an older gentleman, planning to retire in the next couple years... a godly man.. a mentor.. a pastor.. a genuine good friend. We have bonded over the years and had several conversation about life, cars and everything in between. He's often said he wished we had been closer in age so we could have hung out back in the day. He's always been interested in my model building and has said on several occasions, "I'm going to get you to build me a car one day." I always responded, "Robert, just say when."

Right around thanksgiving, he told me he was thinking about leaving the company for another job offer. We talked about the pros and cons for days.. he prayed on it. Talked to his wife about it. And get my feedback daily... He eventually took the offer and two weeks ago, we all said our farewells...

On his last day, he brought me a beat up box of the AMT 70 Camaro "Orange car" and a pretty terrible picture. He said, "This is the one I want you to do. Just like mine. This is the only picture I have of my car. Mine was full bumper though. And those wheels don't match mine either." I told him, I'd try my best.. His reply, "Yeah I know. But I ain't worried about it. This way, at least we'll have to get together someday."

Since his had a full bumper, I dug my full bumper kit out of the stash... I really never expected to build this car... but...

Here's where we begin...

image000000.jpg.0eb93670a5f6d5dbd8e4ceb840caca8a.jpg

and the picture I have to work with...

image000001.jpg.287e9c3dbfb0776db4c9974797ab3d33.jpg

I hope this turns out good...

All other builds are probably on hold, except one I'm about to button up probably this weekend... Stay tuned...

Edited by KWT
  • Like 8

These are my favourite type of build, ones with a meaningful back story. I’ve done a few, and even if they aren’t my best builds, they hold a special place in my heart. I will definitely be watching Jeremy, and I’m certain you will do a great job. I look forward to hearing about the reaction you get from your friend when he sees it. Those wheels should be reasonably easy to find, hard to tell in the photo, is it burgundy?  Have fun with it!!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for following guys..

A couple weeks ago, I asked for what to look out for... that thread is here...

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/178248-amt-70-camaro/

Lots of good info came in. Gave me some ideas on what headaches I had in store for me. On big issue brought up was the dash/windshield area needing to be dealt with. The interference between the 2 causes the chassis to not seat properly.

NOBLNG (Greg) provided this photo

issue.JPG.d132e0937efb4231cd70b19423587f34.JPG

I took the ideas on how to address this first issue and decided to try the suggestion of trimming the dash. After the initial mockup, the back of the dash isn't really visible.

So after trimming, this is where we stand...

fix.JPG.b1a871f281357bed6a83715f266c865d.JPG

Not a bad way to start... Hope I chose the right "fix" for this.

Also, started addressing some issues with the body... oddly enough, there were several...

bodyissues.jpg.a45830576bf7768f8767d8943855fad8.jpg

got an initial coat of primer on to check my work... back to sanding again...

primer1.jpg.c38685895a54167f528920c6768af284.jpg

After this I'll make some time to try to address the exhaust Joe brought to my attention... stay tuned...

Edited by KWT
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KWT said:

I know it's hard to tell from the photo, but anybody have any idea of a direction to go for the wheels/tires?

Glad I and others were able to give you a heads up about some issues Jeremy.  Could those wheels be centerlines? I know I have a set somewhere…but I have no idea what kit they belong to.

Edited by NOBLNG

Hi Jeremy, I have a set of centrelines somewhere too, but like Greg, can’t remember where from. I think maybe an old gasser Vette? May I suggest putting the picture in the “questions” area. Someone will have an answer for you I’m sure. Seems that it shouldn’t be too hard to find a set. Nice fixes on the fitment issues!

Cheers, Steve

I'm hoping to get a chance over the next few days to dig through some boxes and see if I can find some. If not, I may just take you up on that.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:21 PM, Steve H said:

hard to tell in the photo, is it burgundy?

I asked this question.. he said brown. I asked if it was metallic or anything. "Nope. Just Brown."

Minor update...

While looking for paint today, I ran across these in a box...

centerlines.jpg.1fc2fc73b58cf8e7eb5b4e5d9ef479fd.jpg

I don't have a clue where I got these, or why for that matter, but I think they may do the trick.

Also, got some sanding done on the primer coat.

sanded1.jpg.00c6799bf5cebda0a01d6a6bfcb91a3e.jpg

It was a tad more uneven than I had figured, so I ended up sanding back more than I expected. I think it's mostly the way it sprayed that day.

It was windier than I usually do, but I wanted to get started smoothing the body out... so I ran with it...

Just finished spraying a new coat. Hope to smooth it out maybe tomorrow. One final coat should do it... maybe...

I also sent him a picture of this can of TS1.

paint.jpg.cd4d959343a9396cde0ffc450432e66e.jpg

He's says, "Yep. That's close to it."... So it looks like that's what we're going with...

1 hour ago, KWT said:

Minor update...

While looking for paint today, I ran across these in a box...

centerlines.jpg.1fc2fc73b58cf8e7eb5b4e5d9ef479fd.jpg

I don't have a clue where I got these, or why for that matter, but I think they may do the trick.

Also, got some sanding done on the primer coat.

sanded1.jpg.00c6799bf5cebda0a01d6a6bfcb91a3e.jpg

It was a tad more uneven than I had figured, so I ended up sanding back more than I expected. I think it's mostly the way it sprayed that day.

It was windier than I usually do, but I wanted to get started smoothing the body out... so I ran with it...

Just finished spraying a new coat. Hope to smooth it out maybe tomorrow. One final coat should do it... maybe...

I also sent him a picture of this can of TS1.

paint.jpg.cd4d959343a9396cde0ffc450432e66e.jpg

He's says, "Yep. That's close to it."... So it looks like that's what we're going with...

From the looks of your picture I’d say it had the typical 70’s Camaro tire setup. Either 70’s up front and 60’s on the rear. Or 60’s for the front and 50’s for the rear. Either way, the rear wheels are going to have a deeper offset than the ones you found. I have a set of unpainted grey centerlines that were donated to me by Mike on these boards. They would look perfect with a coat of aluminum paint and I’d be happy to donate them for your project. If you want them DM me and I’ll drop them in the mailbox. 
Dave

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

This is Classic Copper ..my buddy's '70 Camaro was this colour....very fine metallic..when it was dirty, it was brown..lol

396 And A 4-Speed! 1970 Chevrolet Camaro SS | Barn Finds

Love the back story Jeremy..I'll follow

That's exactly what I expected it to be... and thanks for the pic and following along

29 minutes ago, dsummone said:

From the looks of your picture I’d say it had the typical 70’s Camaro tire setup. Either 70’s up front and 60’s on the rear. Or 60’s for the front and 50’s for the rear. Either way, the rear wheels are going to have a deeper offset than the ones you found. I have a set of unpainted grey centerlines that were donated to me by Mike on these boards. They would look perfect with a coat of aluminum paint and I’d be happy to donate them for your project. If you want them DM me and I’ll drop them in the mailbox. 
Dave

I appreciate it, but currently I'm gonna hold off..  These are different sized tires for the back.. after I can get to mocking up the stance now I've found them, we'll see how they look.

Edited by KWT
  • Thanks 1

So I got some color on it...

paint.jpg.d9a91c38baace29da99ffc985963e952.jpg

I sent him the pic and he said "THAT'S IT!"

We chatted back and forth for a couple minutes. He told me he likes his other new job, but sometimes wishes he had just stayed...

I told him I wouldn't be sending anymore body pictures, I don't want him to see it til he gets it.

Got to get back to the guts and stuff now...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...