Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need a recommendation.

I want to thin down my stash. We are not allowed to sell kits here, I know this. Where is the best place to sell kits? I asked an admin before I posted this and they said this was ok. As long as I don't sell kits here.

eBay is asking for like 13.25% so while that is probably the best option, I don't feel like giving them that much money.

I am not on Facebook, so Marketplace is not possible.

I think I might try Etsy, they only take like 6% commission. But I am open to other suggestions.

Any local shows ? Can usually rent table space in the swap area. Do you have a local weekly or monthly general swap meet ? Local car shows usually have a vendor area as well. Maybe one of these could be an option.

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

There are many places on Facebook.  Some very specific to the type kits you are selling 

2 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I want to thin down my stash. We are not allowed to sell kits here, I know this. Where is the best place to sell kits? I asked an admin before I posted this and they said this was ok. As long as I don't sell kits here.

eBay is asking for like 13.25% so while that is probably the best option, I don't feel like giving them that much money.

I am not on Facebook, so Marketplace is not possible.

I think I might try Etsy, they only take like 6% commission. But I am open to other suggestions.

I'm going to be getting rid of some kits that aren't worth a whole lot.  Because of what ebay charges, and then having to pack and tote the kits to the P.O., it would be easier to throw them out.  I'm going to try selling on NextDoor.  For those not familiar with it, its a "global neighborhood" group and has a marketplace section.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextdoor

Edited by Draggon

Maybe this site needs to review its policy about buying and selling between individuals.

Perhaps it could allow lists of kits and other modelling items for sale provided that there is a disclaimer of any responsibility on the forum 's part, and that any sales are done privately where forum users have to PM their personal email addresses to one another in order to negotiate on a personal level.

Therefore any sales and purchases become  purely private transactions made strictly off site between individuals, and the site will have absolutely no involvement in any disputes that may arise between said individuals.

I know you pointed out several times you are not on Facebook, but joining is easy and free, and there are tons of buy and sell groups where you will most likely get the best buck for your kits one hundred percent commission free, not counting paypal costs or whatnot. 

Depending on what you want for the kits, there are several options;

1. Local model car show/swap meet- I know there is at least one in the Minneapolis area every summer. Best place to sell as you have a captive market and if you are serious about selling, this is the place to get a fair dollar and limited expense.

2. Places like Fred's Model World and Dean's Hobby Stop buy collections (there's probably more) and while they don't pay top dollar, they typically will buy the whole lot and it makes for a clean transaction. And by saying they don't pay top dollar, I mean that they are a business and have to have some margin to re-sell it.

3. Local automotive swap meets- might not do as well as a model car swap meet, but still a good audience for your stuff.

4. Look at neighboring states to see if they have a model car show coming up. Yeah it's a drive but if the time works out, you could make a mini-vacation out of it.

5. eBay- Only if you want to spend the time monitoring the auctions and managing the fees and expense of doing so. It's a worldwide marketplace but with it comes a lot of work if you have a large stash to sell and you do it one model at a time.

6. Local model car club- they might be able to help you if they have meetings where they have sell and swap dates.

Make a list of what you have and do some research on the value of your collection. Old kits aren't necessarily valuable, especially if they have been re-issued many times. Conversely, some newer kits can be quite valuable if they were limited runs or unique subjects.

I have been attempting to reduce my collection for the past couple of years. I attend most of the model shows and swap meets in the area, and by that I mean some that require me to either get a motel room or leave my house by 4:00 am. At the last show I attended one of the dealers came by my table and said, "I would like to buy you out, but I know I couldn't pay you what you would want." At least he is being honest and up front. At that last show I sold enough to cover the cost of the motel room and the table, however I did buy three more kits and raffle tickets which provided me with another kit that I won. One thought I have had is to talk to a local auctioneer that I know and see if maybe I could include a few 3or 4 model lots in some of his auctions.  I know auctions work because over the past three weeks I have purchased at least a dozen kits, but they are destined to be used as bait at the next show.  If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem, please let me know.

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Maybe this site needs to review its policy about buying and selling between individuals.

Perhaps it could allow lists of kits and other modelling items for sale provided that there is a disclaimer of any responsibility on the forum 's part, and that any sales are done privately where forum users have to PM their personal email addresses to one another in order to negotiate on a personal level.

Therefore any sales and purchases become  purely private transactions made strictly off site between individuals, and the site will have absolutely no involvement in any disputes that may arise between said individuals.

People can do whatever they want through private messaging. We cannot see it, we cannot do anything about it. So if people choose to sell through PM, so be it.

Yet when people get burned by selling kits through PM, we still get some of those people coming to us saying that we, as administration, need to do something about it. Sorry, has nothing to do with us.

To be clear, we will not be allowing sales to appear in the forum. 

• Like 1

I go to a model show nearly once a month. Tables cost money and then I never sell anything. So model shows are not an option, they just cost me money.

I tried eBay, but it takes forever to list something and then they take 13.25% when you sell. Not worth the time or money.

I put a few kits on Etsy. Those listings are pretty easy to setup. They charge $0.20 per listing, and then they charge 6% when you sell. The problem with Etsy is the kits being sold have to be "vintage" in order to sell them. Meaning the kits have to be 20 years old or more. Some of the kits I want to sell are not that old yet. So I can't use Etsy for everything.

I'm going to sound like I am 100 years old here, but I got rid of my smartphone. I wasted too much time on it, so my other problem is app based selling platforms are also a no go for me. Facebook, LetGo, OfferUp, and other app based selling platforms are out.

And people or companies that buy collections are not an option either. I don't NEED to get rid of these models, so I am not going to let them go for a couple bucks a piece. My kits are not worth a ton of money, but they are worth more to me than a couple bucks a piece.

So I guess I can refine my question.....

Where can I sell my models online with a computer? eBay is out. I am trying Etsy. Are there any other good forums that allow selling?

Edited by ctruss53

Chad, if you are going to a model show once a month, and not getting many sales, maybe your prices are a factor. I understand your comment..

43 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

My kits are not worth a ton of money, but they are worth more to me than a couple bucks a piece.

But, the truth about selling stuff (any stuff) is that the prices have to be worth it for the buyer, not just the seller. It sounds like your kits might be worth more to you, than the potential buyer.......

I sold  quite a few kits last year on eBay. It was a dismal failure. Not worth the time or effort, and in the end I realized very small profits, so I hear your complaints. Ebay has ruined selling on-line, and recent USPS increases in shipping rates only make the problems worse. I'd say that despite your comments about Smartphones, I'd get a Facebook account on your computer (not phone) and sell that way. You could try the local Craigslist, but that is hit or miss, too.  Truthfully, There are fewer & fewer ways to efficiently sell off kits that are not "High End" in value. For $100.00 or more kits, it can be worth the hassle, but $10.00 to $50.00 kits it is harder and harder to sell them, and make money.

Lastly, my own biggest success in unloading kits have been going to Big Model Swapmeets in Southern California. It is a 2 hour drive, and it does take some money and effort, but I have always made money and had fun. You might plan a weekend trip to vend at the Biggest show that is within a 3 hour drive, and plan to try to sell everything. Rule of thumb is that you will sell the most valuable kits in the first 2/3 hours, and sell steadily after that. There is another small surge after lunch, and by 3 or 4 pm, it dies off. That is when the 'dealers' may try to buy you out. I have done both options. I've sold everything to a dealer, and gone home with just the cash and a few kits I bought, and I have lugged home boxes of unsold kits. It all depends on how you feel, and how well your kits sell.

I wish you luck!

Edited by stavanzer

15 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Chad, if you are going to a model show once a month, and not getting many sales, maybe your prices are a factor. I understand your comment..

But, the truth about selling stuff (any stuff) is that the prices have to be worth it for the buyer, not just the seller. It sounds like your kits might be worth more to you, than the potential buyer.......

I sold  quite a few kits last year on eBay. It was a dismal failure. Not worth the time or effort, and in the end I realized very small profits, so I hear your complaints. Ebay has ruined selling on-line, and recent USPS increases in shipping rates only make the problems worse. I'd say that despite your comments about Smartphones, I'd get a Facebook account on your computer (not phone) and sell that way. You could try the local Craigslist, but that is hit or miss, too.  Truthfully, There are fewer & fewer ways to efficiently sell off kits that are not "High End" in value. For $100.00 or more kits, it can be worth the hassle, but $10.00 to $50.00 kits it is harder and harder to sell them, and make money.

Lastly, my own biggest success in unloading kits have been going to Big Model Swapmeets in Southern California. It is a 2 hour drive, and it does take some money and effort, but I have always made money and had fun. You might plan a weekend trip to vend at the Biggest show that is within a 3 hour drive, and plan to try to sell everything. Rule of thumb is that you will sell the most valuable kits in the first 2/3 hours, and sell steadily after that. There is another small surge after lunch, and by 3 or 4 pm, it dies off. That is when the 'dealers' may try to buy you out. I have done both options. I've sold everything to a dealer, and gone home with just the cash and a few kits I bought, and I have lugged home boxes of unsold kits. It all depends on how you feel, and how well your kits sell.

I wish you luck!

I'm not trying to make money. Not at all. Only 1 or 2 of the kits I want to sell would be considered collectable.

Having said that, all the kits I am selling are new (old, but new), unopened, unmolested. So I don't plan to sell them for $1 either. If that is the case I'll just keep them. I'm not sitting on thousands of model kits here. I have maybe 110 kits, and I would like to sell 20-30 of them. So someone that buys collections of kits for $1 a piece is not an option.

But this is also why eBay is not an option either. eBay wants too much in commission. And the listings take too long to write up. It is not worth it.

And again, model swap meets are not worth it either. Too many modelers are looking for deals on collectable kits. I pay for a table and never sell anything. I have lost money trying to sell at swap meets. I might as well sell to someone that buys collections, collect my $20, and move on instead. Then I'm not hauling 20-30 kits into a building, buying a table to set them on, only to haul 20-30 kits back out to my car at the end of the day.

Yeah, I might sound bitter. I just wish there were more options.

Sounds like I might just be letting them collect dust.

EDIT: I think my main problem is all my kits are "flat box" kits. Meaning they are Japanese. Tamiya, Fujimi, and Aoshima, car kits. This is why swap meets are so unsuccessful. None of the modelers that frequent swap meets shop for the type of kits I have. I pretty much have to sell online.

I am trying to get $20 - $50 for each kit depending on rarity. They are all new, and they are all out of production.

Even if they aren't worth what I am trying to get, they are worth much more than a buck or two. I'll sit on them instead of sell them for that little.

Edited by ctruss53

22 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

I'm not trying to make money. Not at all. Only 1 or 2 of the kits I want to sell would be considered collectable.

Having said that, all the kits I am selling are new (old, but new), unopened, unmolested. So I don't plan to sell them for $1 either. If that is the case I'll just keep them. I'm not sitting on thousands of model kits here. I have maybe 110 kits, and I would like to sell 20-30 of them. So someone that buys collections of kits for $1 a piece is not an option.

But this is also why eBay is not an option either. eBay wants too much in commission. And the listings take too long to write up. It is not worth it.

And again, model swap meets are not worth it either. Too many modelers are looking for deals on collectable kits. I pay for a table and never sell anything. I have lost money trying to sell at swap meets. I might as well sell to someone that buys collections, collect my $20, and move on instead. Then I'm not hauling 20-30 kits into a building, buying a table to set them on, only to haul 20-30 kits back out to my car at the end of the day.

Yeah, I might sound bitter. I just wish there were more options.

Sounds like I might just be letting them collect dust.

EDIT: I think my main problem is all my kits are "flat box" kits. Meaning they are Japanese. Tamiya, Fujimi, and Aoshima, car kits. This is why swap meets are so unsuccessful. None of the modelers that frequent swap meets shop for the type of kits I have. I pretty much have to sell online.

I am trying to get $20 - $50 for each kit depending on rarity. They are all new, and they are all out of production.

Even if they aren't worth what I am trying to get, they are worth much more than a buck or two. I'll sit on them instead of sell them for that little.

I hear your Frustration, Chad. It is irksome to try to sell at a show, and then lose money.

That is one reason I suggested a really huge show, far away. Chances are better that the more sophisticated (and deeper pockets) buyer you need is there.

Also, if you are up for trading (or at least trying to trade) list some of them in the "Trades" section of the Forums. You might be surprised by what happens.

1 minute ago, stavanzer said:

I hear your Frustration, Chad. It is irksome to try to sell at a show, and then lose money.

That is one reason I suggested a really huge show, far away. Chances are better that the more sophisticated (and deeper pockets) buyer you need is there.

Also, if you are up for trading (or at least trying to trade) list some of them in the "Trades" section of the Forums. You might be surprised by what happens.

Yeah, I am tempted to try the trades section.

I don't have typical tastes though. But who knows.