Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Agoura Shelby Cobra

cobraman

This will be my next project when I get back from my vacation in San Diego . This will most likely my last build . Been building a long time and I think I am at that point of stopping . Just no motivation anymore except for this one . I wanted this kit when I first heard about it . At that time it was only offered as a subscription which I didn’t like because I wondered what if something happens and the parts don’t continue to come ???  So when I heard several months ago you could purchase the complete kit at one time it was time to take the plunge . I admit to stalling on starting this but now it the time !  Will be the highlight of my Cobra collection .  

0C557640-CE8B-4AE6-BB30-5B22DDECFD0C.jpeg

CEBE2D45-01B9-4D07-8A24-97D086E1DBCF.jpeg

77D4DADD-4EF1-4A2A-BB04-6991CAF0C146.jpeg

33AD8817-1B86-4144-AB1A-BABE2B6931A0.jpeg

70C36732-0A9C-42BE-87E5-4327AC9693B3.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Thank you very much fellows. I need to arrange a larger work area. This will never fit on my roll top desk. 

Lol, roll top desk. This thing looks like it needs it’s own room!

Can’t wait to watch your project. Have fun “Cobraman.” It sure makes sense to be your finale!

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel. I have quit a few times myself. After my last move from Colorado, I even gave away most of my tools, including my lathe. I was just DONE. And then one day something as trivial as a spray can in Walmart reignites that spark with the simple thought of "this color would look cool on a hot rod". Either way... this model would be a proper "farewell" to the hobby, altho I have a feeling it will not be for long. 

On a side note, where did you you purchase it as a whole complete kit? 

I can tell you Ray, that will be one ambitious project! Not a super difficult kit to build, but you will need to stray from what they tell you from time to time. It would be a good idea if you've not done so, to download all the PDF's for the build. Just in case their site takes a dump for some reason, you'll at least have the instructions at the ready. The kits may already have the instructions included-----I don't know as I had to download all of mine when I had the sub.

I hear you about changes in the hobby. I've done that quite a bit in the last year as I've focused a lot more on 3D designs and prints, as opposed to building the physical objects. Due to my eyesight, which gets worse by the year, it's MUCH easier for me to do 3D files on my laptop as I can see the screen so much easier, than to manipulate tiny parts barely 3" away from my eyes.

If you need any help with Cobra at any point, you can drop me a line. One rough area might be the working suspension as you have to follow the instructions almost to a T. Some parts require hammering pins in with serrated edges. Once those are in, they're almost impossible to get back out so you have to double check to make sure what goes with what.

In the end though-----you'll have a model that very few others will have as production due to its price is rather limited.

1 hour ago, mrm said:

On a side note, where did you you purchase it as a whole complete kit? 

Michael, that can be had here.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys !   After a time away I decided to take some time and get something , anything done in this car . I have been dealing with the loss of my BIL and trying to organize and clean out the house for my nephew . My BIL , God love him was a bit of a hoarder so it has been a challenge . No trash , he just collected a lot of stuff in his years . So anyway , I was able to get the hood scoop and hood locks done and also one tire mounted on a wheel .  Woo-hoo ! Not much but it feels good just to have this done . 

This all the parts used for stage 3 . I must say I am really discounted in the chrome in this kit . For the cost of the kit I would expect very good chrome . This chrome is subpar IMO . I may need to redo the side pipes.

999A56DF-7EB3-41E6-A5E2-CA07C3BCB561.jpeg