Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust-oleum paint

Go with the best. Get a Martin Paints' patented Glassy Eggshell Finish Paint Roller made with supple, natural, hand-combed Fleem®©™  fibers.

Vintage Patterned Paint Roller Painting Roller With - Etsy UK

If it's swell enough for Ralph Kramden, it's plenty swell enough for you.

654863880_rkmartinpaints.jpg.c9958855005a0583fb6ed23972faf2f1.jpg

Unfortunately, you're on the hook for the carfare to go travel to 1956.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

The OP seems to be through with the thread.

Happens all the time on this forum.

People ask a question and then disappear.

The OP’s only post on this entire thread was the first one.

You would think it might be to his advantage to interject and try to steer the discussion in the direction of the information that he’s looking for, but apparently he’s not that interested.

Steve

• Like 3

I like to think there was at least observation to the thread by the OP but if not we all kind of wasted our time here it seems. Though someone else might stumble on the thread and gain something from it.

• Like 1

I am not an avid poster. Once in a while I see a situation where I might be able to offer some advice or assistance, and I do so. In most cases, that assistance is acknowledged and appreciated. It a few cases, not so. I find it better not to expect anything, especially from OPs with low post counts.

12 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I agree. If one reads this thread they will be aware of the pitfalls of using Rustoleum. With that in mind they can make an informed decision about rolling the dice on a project and use Rustoleum. 

This.  I have had many of the same issues with Rustoleum and gained some perspective from this thread (as in don't use it for bodies).  Anyone want to dis on Krylon? 

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

A member since October of last year, and 4 whole posts! 😊

There are fairly frequent posters on the board, including some who have been members closing on two decades, and have yet to post one single piece of work...even though they apparently have sizable collections and the demonstrated technical ability to shoot and post photos.

One wonders what is the definition of "modeler" or "participation" in those minds.

But ours is not to reason why. I've heard it's still s'posed to be a free country.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 2

First off judging someone for having a low post count is not taking into consideration for what's happening in their life.

Second the way people participate is as varied as build genre or build style. Some build only car or trucks while others build a variety of subjects.

Some post wips and finished projects while some just finished projects.

Some build one project at a time to completion.  Others have multiple projects going and then slowly finish them. Some have multiple projects going that may never be finished.

Who has the right to judge what is the right or wrong  whether it be model building style or how they choose to participate on the board.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

First off judging someone for having a low post count is not taking into consideration for what's happening in their life.

Second the way people participate is as varied as build genre or build style. Some build only car or trucks while others build a variety of subjects.

Some post wips and finished projects while some just finished projects.

Some build one project at a time to completion.  Others have multiple projects going and then slowly finish them. Some have multiple projects going that may never be finished.

Who has the right to judge what is the right or wrong  whether it be model building style or how they choose to participate on the board.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking too.  Everybody has different reasons for being on this forum with the common thread being building models.  And each one of us will participate (or not) depending on our needs.  It’s what makes the world go round.👍

Personally, I’m in it for the glory and chicks.

Edited by atomicholiday
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm not judging anybody for their post count.

There are plenty of members here, some of whom build some of the best models that I've ever seen, that post very infrequently.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

I don't respond to every response that I get in a thread either, but I am respectful enough to at least let people know that I am reading their posts and absorbing their answers.

A simple "thank you" at some point during the course of the thread, even if it's just once, let's people know that what they're offering to the OP is not falling on deaf ears.

In my opinion, it's along the same lines as the guys who we've probably all dealt with at some point, who posts a request for a part in the wanted section, and then once he gets what he was looking for, not even a thank you.

I know that is a little more extreme in most people's minds, but it's the same principal. 

Just a little common courtesy goes a long way.

My feeling is that if you don't have the time to post a simple thank you, don't ask the question.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Thanks 1

I don't get hung up if people do not respond, show courtesy or thank me for any of my posts.

It is nice if they do though and I try to get back to them asap. However, we are not all blessed with plenty of time to spend on forums like this one, and other things have to take precedent.

Getting back to the Rustoleum Krylon thing, or any other brands of DIY aerosols. Really, I just do not understand what is expected of them? Far from dismissing them as rubbish, those paints and aerosols are just not designed for spraying scale models. The hobby paint market is bursting at the seams with suitable paints and finishes from a great many manufacturers so why make life difficult by using totally unsuitable products?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I don't get hung up if people do not respond, show courtesy or thank me for any of my posts.

It is nice if they do though and I try to get back to them asap. However, we are not all blessed with plenty of time to spend on forums like this one, and other things have to take precedent.

Sure.

I understand the idea of being short on time.

But if the OP was legitimate in his curiosity about any useful answers to the question that he asked, my guess would be that he has probably been able to find 2 minutes to commit to checking the forum for those answers at some point within the past 2 weeks, at which point, it would have taken a maximum of 3 seconds to type 6 letters......"Thanks".

Maybe I'm weird. but when I ask a question, I'm usually curious enough to stick around, at least for a little while, or take 30 seconds occasionally to check back, to see if I have gotten any answers to what I apparently had the time to ask in the first place.

I'm not hung up on getting any response personally either.

I could care less about that.

But it would be nice if we had any indication whatsoever if the OP was receiving any of the information that he was seeking, or not.

And it would be nice if he would at least acknowledge the fact that others may be taking valuable time out of their day to answer him.

I would never even consider asking someone in my own family, or complete stranger, a question of any kind without offering a small symbol of my appreciation after getting the answer.

Just....... thank you!

In the age of smart phones and tablets, not having a minute to show your appreciation for the feedback that you requested is a pretty lame excuse.

It's more like disengagement and selfishness than it is anything else.

Steve

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...In the age of smart phones and tablets, not having a minute to show your appreciation for the feedback that you requested is a pretty lame excuse.

It's more like disengagement and selfishness than it is anything else.

Maybe his "any help will be much appreciated" at the end of his original post was "thanks in advance".

Just idle speculation on my part, cause it's not my dog.  ;)

15 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Maybe his "any help will be much appreciated" at the end of his original post was "thanks in advance".

Just idle speculation on my part, cause it's not my dog.  ;)

Not buying that one either.

Even if I did ask someone on the street a question in that fashion.....”Excuse me sir, any help would be appreciated if you could direct me to the post office”. When he answered, “it’s just around the corner”, I could never envision myself in any scenario, just turning my back and walking away.

Maybe it’s just me and the “Minnesota Nice” thing, but if it is, I’m happy to have been raised in Minnesota by parents that taught me some manners.

In any event, if the OP has been dealing with a major family emergency, or has been incapacitated in some fashion for the past 2 weeks, I retract everything I’ve said.

Steve

I've been dealing with choosing the right Limburger and Blue Stilton Cheese platter to serve as an appetizer at a memorial birthday party for my late cat. I still manage to be polite and gracious in a NYC kind of way, which isn't saying much. Now. gedouttahere before I call the cops.

• Haha 1

• Xingu locked this topic