Model Cars Magazine Forum

June 2023 Round2 Releases

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope...engine make is not mentioned on the box, to not pay for licensing from a second manufacturer.  Nothing new, Ertl did the same for many years.

Good point about the licensing; I was referring to your catch of his comment about the 'Ford small block' in the kit. In light of Charger 'whaletails' and D150's with 4 cylinder engines, among other booboos, it seems Round 2 marketing could use some help with fact checking :)

• Like 2

The Chevrolet Bison sure interest me!

As far as I know; EVERY AMT "big rig" trucks have been reissued, exept maybe their Kenworths T-600/Canepa.

There was also the Link-Belt Power shovel that was announced in the early 70s, but never issued. Could we "dream" of that being done?

Then on the ERTL "vault", these is their Internationals F4270, F2575 and F2674 what were never reissued......

And also their farm tractors; International, John-Deere and Massey-Fergusson, along with the John-Deere backhoe.

• Like 1

Definitely a Bronco.

The Grand Prix and Citation should materialize as 1/25 kits.

I want the Voyager, but I can't find any of the minivans anywhere. May have to just pay eBay scalpers.

I'd like to see the Voyager/Caravan as a kit, too.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PintoKING said:

As far as I know; EVERY AMT "big rig" trucks have been reissued, exept maybe their Kenworths T-600/Canepa.

There was also the Link-Belt Power shovel that was announced in the early 70s, but never issued. Could we "dream" of that being done?

Then on the ERTL "vault", these is their Internationals F4270, F2575 and F2674 what were never reissued......

And also their farm tractors; International, John-Deere and Massey-Fergusson, along with the John-Deere backhoe.

Round2 has confirmed several times that they don't have any of the tooling for the farm equipment. That tooling stayed with Tomy via their continued use of the Ertl brand. I'm not sure about the J-D construction equipment, but I suspect the licensing there is cost prohibitive several times over.

9 hours ago, PintoKING said:

And as far as the trailers for said trucks, I think the only trailers that haven't been reissued in the last decade or so are the moving van and race car hauler.

18 hours ago, mk11 said:

Good point about the licensing; I was referring to your catch of his comment about the 'Ford small block' in the kit. In light of Charger 'whaletails' and D150's with 4 cylinder engines, among other booboos, it seems Round 2 marketing could use some help with fact checking :)

Like the Pinto's with a 1200 cc engine, when they were never offered with one even in its infancy it was the English Ford 1600 cc engine that was in the engine bay. Sadly the best power plant that was offered in  '71 - '73 Pinto's the German designed and built 2000 cc four cylinder was never acknowledged on the box advertising.

Edited by horsepower

I finally Watched this.....

The Good parts..

The New Bronco! Looks awesome. I hope the instructions for decaling the Squatch are in there! This kit will sell out fast.

The Bison! Looks great, and will go well with the three trailers that have been mentioned else where. I like it.

The Bad Parts...

Man, Round2, don't go to any effort on our part!

The Decals on the 280ZX? An extra 4-5 Decals? A half inch larger decal sheet? You Shouldn't have? (sarc) Was not a great kit then, and not sure why it's back now.

The '34 Ford Coupe. The decals are Okay, but just Okay. It's a nice kit, but no building options. They did not even throw in the ubiquitous tree of 5-spoke rims that goes in every other American car kit, lately.

The "Sweet Bippy"?  I'm 60. A Laugh-In reference goes right over my head. Who is the Target Market for this kit? Not anybody under the age of 65, I'm sure. How did this even get "Greenlit"? NIce Kit, lotsa build options, and great to have back, but the box art is not going to move it, I think.

Last, the Lindberg TBF Avenger!! What is there good to say about this Turkey? Crude Kit, Baseball size rivets festooned everywhere, out of scale working parts, and badly proportioned propellor and wheel wells, at best. Badly Done 50+ year old tooling, that was avoided by serious modelers in the 1970's, brought back to life now?!?!!? Sell that tool to Atlantis, and be done with it.

A Real Mixed bag for me, on this one.

It's like all the effort on the '64 Olds kits, the '68 Coronet, the MPC Supra, and the new Bronco, just tired everybody out. The 4 kits I mentioned are to me, (to Me!) just wasted effort. Especially the TBF Avenger! Far all the experts that work there, they sure try hard to polish those Lindberg Cow Flops! Just sad.

It will be better in July, I am sure.

On 6/4/2023 at 12:12 PM, stavanzer said:

The "Sweet Bippy"?  I'm 60. A Laugh-In reference goes right over my head. Who is the Target Market for this kit? Not anybody under the age of 65, I'm sure. How did this even get "Greenlit"? NIce Kit, lotsa build options, and great to have back, but the box art is not going to move it, I think.

Yes, I agree the box art won't make the younger crowd want to pick it up and look at it. I used to watch Laugh-In but have no interest in the decals and flower art but if it has a decent bunch of parts for an oval racer I'd probably buy it. Hopefully it has some decals for that?

Sweet Bippy is , in es., the same kit as the Green  Giant from a coupla years ago, neh ? Other 'an decals and box art - and perhaps plastic colour - it's the same kit. 
IIRC, this kit has separate exhaust (okay, moulded-to the rear axle/springs assembly) vs. other kits of this era mit der moulded-on exhaust. 

I'm 53, and I watched Laugh-In in syndication in the 70's, then again in the 80's/early 90's. I doubt that the Khmer Youth would get the schtick of the 1967 original. 

I'll take the either the thanks or the blame for this one because I picked it.  Even sitting in the Round2 archives floor to ceiling wall of models, this box art stood out.  I'm betting that it will catch the eye of the casual builders that has no clue what a Sweet Bippy is, see that it's a '66 Ford Galaxie 4n1 kit and take chance on.  Plus, it fits the nostalgia time frame of other recent and near future releases so why not.  Would you rather we go back to the boring RC2/Ertl box art days? 

It still is a really nice kit and we've included plenty of other decals beyond the Hippie graphics Including factory stock badges and instrumentation. Tampo printed tires, etc. 

-Steve

image.png.bb524aa33501d78c4a56d3ec9a71a878.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Would you rather we go back to the boring RC2/Ertl box art days?

Talk about nostalgia ! Haha ! I kinda miss the box art; exhibitions of parts and decals which the actual kit doesn't inhabit (RC2-era 1974 GTX, I'm looking at you !).

I missed out on the Green Giant issue ; I'll have to pick up this psychedelic baby ! Will it include the 4-Way Windowpane this time ?

At first I thought Sweet Bippy and Jolly Green Gasser were the same kit, but turns out they are two different years of Galaxie.

The Jolly Green is a 65, and Sweet Bippy is a 66. Stock 65 and 66 Galaxies look quite similar, and to this day, I still often confuse them.

The kits have different engines; the Bippy seems to come with a 427 SOHC (as an option?), while the Jolly Green seems to have a standard 427.

It seems both are 4-in-1 kits: stock, custom, gasser/drag racer, and NASCAR/Grand National. Jolly Green includes 7 tires (5 stock and 2 drag), though does NOT include wide Grand National racing tires. Bippy includes 10 tires; seems like 4 stock, 2 drag, and an additional 4 for Grand National racing tires?

HPI Guy's Jolly Green Gasser:

Hope this helps, thanks!